Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by wayner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0038 (resized).JPG
IMG_0037 (3) (resized).JPG
IMG_5978 (resized).JPG
IMG_5979 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I finished the bottom board on my Space Mission today. It started out as a simple clean what I can plan to eliminate the old smell. When the cleaning didn't work I decided to replace the board with new oak plywood which led to coating the board, cleaning all the contacts and making new decals. I also replaced a couple of relays. Of course it still smells old, but I'm happy with the improvement.

IMG_5979 (resized).JPG

IMG_5978 (resized).JPG

IMG_0037 (3) (resized).JPG

IMG_0038 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#3 2 years ago

Nice!

#4 2 years ago

looks like hard work!

#5 2 years ago

EMs should smell old IMO

#6 2 years ago

There's good old and bad old. That classic good old pinball smell comes from dry wood, Solenoid dust, a little grease and whatever else. I love that smell! Bad smell comes from a musty old basement that gets into everything including the cloth wire covers. The only true way to get rid of the stench in games like that is to rent an ozone machine.

#7 2 years ago

Damn, my machine looks dirtier all of a sudden. Great job!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

There's good old and bad old. That classic good old pinball smell comes from dry wood, Solenoid dust, a little grease and whatever else. I love that smell! Bad smell comes from a musty old basement that gets into everything including the cloth wire covers. The only true way to get rid of the stench in games like that is to rent an ozone machine.

My first machine I bought back in 2014 or January 2015 (whatever it was) had the bad smell, and pretty sure it had mold on the bottom if not dirt. It was a Chicago Coin Showtime for $300. Talk about a truly terrible deal (look at the playfield on IPDB), but I was pretty excited about it at the time.

I had nowhere to keep it at the time besides in my bedroom. So I slept next to it for around 4 months before I finally realized I should/could move it where I stored my arcade games out here in New Jersey. The seller told me you absolutely cannot tip them backwards so we had such an awful time CARRYING it into the house and fitting it through tight doorways and hallways with the legs on that I didn't want to do it again, then eventually I figured out that you CAN tip them back to handtruck them.

It smelled so bad that I slept on my right side to face away from it, every night, for those 4 months.

It was in an apartment so I'm pretty sure I played it like 2 or 3 times within those 4 months to avoid disturbing the neighbors. So, I quickly resented it. Glad I got it out when I did! I still own it, but it usually doesn't get set up anymore since space is so crucial and for actually good games.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

EMs should smell old IMO

Yeah, old...but not nasty!!!

#10 2 years ago

Thats an awesome job... and a lot of work - well done!

#11 2 years ago

A terrific transformation-you should be proud of the result.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pasadena, CA
$ 399.95
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside