Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jonnyo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mr_Spock.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

Was watching Pinball 101 the other day and noticed that a "basic" skill/setup is to have your fingers behind the flipper buttons, not hovering over it or resting on it.

I've gotten in the habit of resting my finger on the button so I'm ready to flip quickly. What do you guys do? What do the top players tend to do?

#2 13 years ago

I hold the corners of the game lightly so that I can move the game. I'm not exactly sure where my fingers end up as a result.

Some women pointed out to me that it's harder for them because if they hold the corners of the game to nudge, it's hard to reach the flipper buttons with their shorter fingers.

#3 13 years ago

I always flip with my middle fingers,no pun intended.

#4 13 years ago

I always flip with my middle fingers ...

Me too. I can't even imagine flipping with any other finger. It would just feel so awkward.

Edit: Actually, I was wrong. I just went downstairs to play a few games, and I realized that I use both my middle AND forefinger simultaneously.

#5 13 years ago

I use my middle finger with thumbs rest on side rails.

#6 13 years ago

Roamin' Hands. That's me.
    Sometimes you want your hands to be right on the flipper buttons, but I'll focus more on shaking the corners on the skill shots at the beginning of the ball, or if I see the ball heading for the outlanes and I don't need to focus on the flippers at that moment.

#7 13 years ago

I always flip with my middle fingers,no pun intended.

scooter...Thats funny. Very good.

I also saw that film and disagree with their flicking of the button. I tried it but it was uncomfortable. I like my fingers on the buttons.

And I use my middle finger on my right hand for flipping with an upward motion and my left hand goes on the horn.

#8 13 years ago

I use my pointer fingers mostly and rest it on the button. Probably wrong as I have many bad habits like holding in the button too long.

#9 13 years ago

Mine is sorta a 3/4 position between over the flipper buttons and behind them, a hybrid of sorts. Started out with them hanging directly over the buttons, but as my nudging skills have improved, my position has started to reproach. I also use my middle (mostly) and sometimes middle/ring fingers (when nudging usually), and prefer a long stance from the machine with one ankle resting around the other. Kinda weird, but works for me. Throws off my groove when I don't have the room in a crowded bar to stand the way that I want to.

#10 13 years ago

My finger position varies as I'm playing and depending on the game I'm playing. When I play a slower game, my fingers are more relaxed and usually float over the buttons. A faster game, and I tend to keep my fingers rested in front of the buttons until the ball is near the drain. I don't grasp the corners to bump, I just rest my palms against the corners (don't know if that makes any difference). The biggest challenge for a lot of my friends is when they play my Black Knight. The added Magna-Save buttons keep throwing them off

G

#11 13 years ago

I play like my main man Mr. Spock!
    Index and middle (together) hovering with palm resting on edge.
    "Pin long and prosper..."
    Mr_Spock.jpgMr_Spock.jpg

#12 13 years ago

I never really thought about it until now. I would have guessed index fingers.....had to go play a game to be sure. I use index and middle finger together .

3 weeks later
    #13 12 years ago

After reading this I had to go play some myself to realize that I mainly use my middle finger with a little help from the index. They tend to rest slightly behind the buttons when relaxed. Much like Guymontag, I rest one leg behind the other when Im grooving.

#14 12 years ago

I rotate my fingers in sequence, one at a time, just to add some difficulty to the game!! If I want to make it really tough, I cross my hands, and flip left flipper with right hand, and right with left :-)LOL

#15 12 years ago

Index fingers only for me, but I'm not going to be winning any tournaments.

#16 12 years ago

Index fingers, with my thumbs resting against the siderail. Palms wrapped around corner of the lockdown bar ready to give the game a good shove when needed.

As I'm quite tall, I tend to spread my feet apart to lower myself, or if I'm being awkward, one foot foward and one well back ready to trip up a passer by.

#17 12 years ago

I never thought about it before. I use middle fingers and keep them touching the buttons when I'm not pressing them. That way I utilize minimal movement.
    I never got people who used their whole hands while banging over the button to play - seems a bit too slow for me.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bole909:

I never got people who used their whole hands while banging over the button to play - seems a bit too slow for me.

I would only use my whole hand for a BIG slap save requiring a lot of power. Like on a big widebody such as superman or some of those 80s gottliebs.

Flicking is generally better than leaving your finger on the button if anything to avoid accidental nervous flips and "resting" with the button in. I notice especially when I'm tired I tend to "hit and leave the flipper up". That's very bad. It creates a huge gap between the flippers. If you miss the shot and it comes racing back (like toward the middle), to deal with it you must first drop the flipper. Only when the flipper is fully back down can you really judge how much you need to nudge the machine. Also, if the ball hits the opposite flipper close to the edge, you'll flip the ball right into the underside of the upraised flipper.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fingerhand-position and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.