10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mrm_4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3B42A628-A7AE-458E-9E38-354212DA2F1A (resized).jpeg
    multi-rust-oleum-stops-rust-spray-guns-241526-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    spray (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

So safety is talked about significantly on this site around spraying from a chemical stand point but I havent seen anything on this subject. Last week (7/15) i was spraying my cabinet with Ace Hardwares brand of paint which was a thinner nozzle than the Rustoleum 2x that I normally use. Later that day my index finger had a tingle and the next day it was numb from the knuckle up. Well its been 10 days and my finger is still numb and its driving me crazy, especially at work, every time I roll my mouse or even typing this out I'm constantly reminded of this pretty much dead finger tip. I searched online to see if this is a common issue and there were several sites talking through it. Basically can take up to 3 weeks for the nerve to heal.

So for what its worth, pay attention to how you spray and either switch up fingers when spraying for long periods or get attachments to put on the can that are more ergonomic. No one wants a numb finger for weeks at a time!

#2 10 months ago

The stranger!

#3 10 months ago

You can get one of these- or one similar- at a hardware store for around $4-5. I use mine a lot- it gives you more control and easier on that finger
    spray (resized).jpg

It just clips on over the top of the can, and when you squeeze the 'trigger' it depresses the nozzle.

#4 10 months ago

They use to sell a clip on handle for spray cans that added a trigger finger style of actuation... But I haven't seen them for a while. Why any paint manufacturer still uses those narrow tips is beyond me... It probably saves them a fraction of a penny. I've found myself alternating between my thumb and my index finger when I have a big job with a narrow tip can.

#5 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan:

You can get one of these at a hardware store for around $4-5. I use mine a lot- it gives you more control and easier on that finger[quoted image]

Aha! They DO still make them.

#6 10 months ago

Anyplace like Home Depot, Menards, ACE Hardware.

#7 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan:

You can get one of these- or one similar- at a hardware store for around $4-5. I use mine a lot- it gives you more control and easier on that finger
    [quoted image]
    It just clips on over the top pf the can, and when you squeeze the 'trigger' it depresses the nozzle.

Quoted from mrm_4:

or get attachments to put on the can that are more ergonomic.

Yes this is what i was referring too! thanks for posting it

#8 10 months ago

Sounds like you damaged a nerve or have something else going on causing peripheral neuropathy. Do you suffer from carpal tunnel? You mentioned you work at a keyboard.

Also, if it keeps up go to the doctor.

#9 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Sounds like you damaged a nerve or have something else going on causing peripheral neuropathy. Do you suffer from carpal tunnel? You mentioned you work at a keyboard.
    Also, if it keeps up go to the doctor.

No to the carpal tunnel. I'm confident this is directly related to spray painting, I'm going to give it over the weekend to see if feeling comes back. If not I'll be scheduling an appt.

#10 10 months ago

Bummer about your finger. Thanks for the heads up though. I picked up one of these at Home Depot for like $8 after I saw a guy using one in a YouTube video. I haven't opened the package yet tho.

multi-rust-oleum-stops-rust-spray-guns-241526-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    #11 10 months ago

Go ask your wife if you could put it in cider.
    That may help.

#12 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

That may help.

Drinking a few ciders would also help.

No need to ask the wife.

rd

#13 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

That may help.

Zing!

#14 10 months ago

No dead finger is gonna stop me from being productive

3B42A628-A7AE-458E-9E38-354212DA2F1A (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #15 9 months ago

So did the 'spray gun topper' help with the finger? And how did you like using it?

#16 9 months ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan:

So did the 'spray gun topper' help with the finger? And how did you like using it?

Yes and Yes
    I loved the topper if you havent used one i would recommend spending the $5!

as for the finger its about 75% back to normal, i tried the cider trick..... not sure that helped

3 weeks later
    #17 9 months ago

Ok today is the first day I can push on my finger and it feels completely normal again. So just a little over 6 weeks of partial numbness finally comes to an end.

#18 9 months ago

Damn man that would have freaked me out a bit.

#19 9 months ago

A couple weeks ago I was starting to wonder if it was permanent. Nothing you can do but wait it out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 18.95
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 279.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 8,999.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside