(Topic ID: 81455)

Finding plastics for STTNG, plus stuff to get as a new owner?

By m00dawg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by m00dawg
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130905_175112.jpg
20130905_175037.jpg
20130905_174929.jpg
flipperLeds.jpg
game.jpg
mirrorRight.jpg
mirrorLeft.jpg
topper.jpg
flippers2.jpg
pops.jpg
laserDot.jpg
dmdAdmiral.jpg
shuttleLit.jpg
klingonNew.jpg
romulanNew.jpg
ledocd.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider m00dawg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have a machine I'm looking at and, in fact, we're probably in the final stages of negotiating. One minor issue is a broken plastic under the top right flipper (the one with that says Klingon Assistance). littleshopofgames.com has it listed, but out of stock, for $19. I know color might be off, but buying a whole new set of plastics seems like overkill so are there any places that might have this item?

This will be our first pin so I was curious what essentials I probably should buy? I was going to buy new balls, NVRAM upgrade, wax. Anything else?

I was pondering plastic protectors (like these: http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/STTNG_Page.html) as well so I could worry less about broken playfield plastics. Not soon but I was mulling over a plastic playfield protector as well at some point.

As Picard says in the glorious pin I hope to pick up, Suggestions?

#4 10 years ago

Yours looks quite gorgeous! Woo laser canons! I have never seen those in person or otherwise. Is it a pretty cool mod? I've heard it doesn't make ball launching that much easier (and, if not, I think I may add some too at some point).

The TNG I'm picking up does have at least the NZone cliffy. I'm not sure how clean the inside of the main cabinet is, though the boards look good and the playfield (apart from the broken plastic) looks good to my perhaps inexperienced eyes It plays just wonderfully! I went to play it the same day I went to Pinballz in Austin and his TNG was the best machine I played of all the machines I played that day. He seems to have taken good care of it generally.

He's done at least a partial LED conversion. I'll probably finish up as the first thing I'll upgrade. Want to get a shaker too and, of course, eventually a ColorDMD. Even the Mrs., who thinks pinball machines are entirely too expensive, thought the ColorDMD was awesome

As far as the plastic, yeah I'll happily take you up on that! It'll probably be a few weeks before I have the machine in my possession if all goes well, so I'll wait on that just in case. I really appreciate that though! The only way I could otherwise find it was to buy a whole set of plastics.

Speaking of, do you use or recommend the plastic protectors? I see there is one specifically for the one that's busted so I'm thinking it would be a worthy investment?

Sorry for the wall of text hah, as you can tell, I'm excited!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Depending on condition -
Rebuild flippers
Replace all ball plungers (cannons vuk etc)
Replace subway coils and clean.
Install subway protectors.
Cliffy
Plastic protectors are great and the plastic your looking for should be at BAA.
I would change the bats to chrome and add super bands.
Also replace all star posts (few and cheap makes machine look great)
Update rom and Color DMD looks great on this one.

Hmm I'll have to check on the subway protectors, though he just recently rebuilt the flippers I think, has cliffys. Ball plungers hmm...I guess I'll need to get the machine first before I know what parts to get and such.

You mentioned ROM - you just referring to the ColorDMD ROM or another one? There's one floating around that has funny sayings by the cast (at least in attract mode) right? Totally want to get that. ColorDMD is on my list but pretty far down. STTNG's price means I'll have to wait to do anything that's non essential for a little while.

Quoted from jathomp22:

Bay area should have the plastics. That's where I got my Klingon plastic.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH

Ah so they do! I looked there twice already and didn't find them. Finally just searched for "Klingon" and it was the top post Well glad to know I have some options. I was worried it was going to be hard to find.

#8 10 years ago

Sweet Jesus! (I think that was a quote from First Contact as well, yeah?). That looks quite incredible!

Looks like you got your flippers from here? http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH Do those flippers with the superbands play any differently?

I haven't seen a TNG with mirror blades until yours. How much to they interfere with working on the playfield? I was wanting to get a back-wall decal. Wasn't sure about mirror blades yet - do they help brighten up the field a bit (always hard to tell from pics).

You've put some fantastic work into yours, but, I have to say, the beer holder is probably my favorite mod

#15 10 years ago

Curious - how would one go about adding LED GI's like that? Sounds like more than just replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED one?

#22 10 years ago

Wow that EL looks better than I thought! I was pondering those, but I really like wireforms for the metal look and didn't want to detract. Those have me thinking twice! Sub and shaker are both also on my list though they'll be a while.

@pezpunk wow that mod looks quite involved! I was more referring to the flex-heads you mentioned to illuminating the playfield? I might get around to lighting up the toys but, woo, after seeing that mod, I may wait until I'm brave. I don't even have my TNG yet

Getting really excited about having one though after seeing all these awesome suggestions and blingied out TNGs! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the flex heads are nothing. just like regular bulbs, except you can bend the head of it so that the light goes whichever direction you want.

Ah ok. So you just stick them existing sockets then?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Can you clarify what's possible with this board upgrade? I'm just curious what "full control over all controlled lighting" means.
I've wanted to add upgraded lighted ships, the color DMD, upgraded speakers & a shaker motor to mine for some time. But since mine works perfectly right now, I'm afraid I'll start having new issues pop up if I start adding all kinds of mods & stressing the power supplys. Color DMD is the next purchase for me though, then go from there. Thanks for the pics

I don't know the exact specifics since I don't have one It tried to explain this myself without getting marred in details, but the FAQ page does a better job than I could (see http://ledocd.com/faq.html):

"LED OCD connects between your power driver board and the controlled lamps. It monitors and interprets the signals that would normally control the lamps, then adjusts the control based on your configuration.

More technically, it re-drives the lamp matrix at 250 Hz (twice the rate of a Stern SAM machine, and 4 times the original rate of a Williams WPC) in order to eliminate flicker. It modifies the duty cycle based on your configuration to control brightness."

#29 10 years ago

Basically, for leds a higher switching frequency means less flicker.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Custom callout ROMs-very cool.

I was looking around for those, but only really found them on eBay and surely there is a better route to go?

#33 10 years ago

Oh hah right, derp. Didn't see them when I looked TNG up on IPDB, but there they are!

#36 10 years ago

LEDOCD is absolutely on my list. I'd buy one now but the deal isn't final on the TNG I want. Otherwise it'd already be in the mail

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider m00dawg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finding-plastics-for-sttng-plus-stuff-to-get-as-a-new-owner?tu=m00dawg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.