(Topic ID: 204050)

Finding myself in the EM Hangout more often...

By FatPanda

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rufessor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

24774817_10107641060111167_636819778899770232_n (resized).jpg
    20171204_224405 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I'm trying to do some EM shopping. Been in the hobby only for about a year, but have SS and DMD games, and have grown over the last couple months, to love the bells and chimes of EMs...but man, the switches and relays scare the bejezus out of me! Also, to me, it's kind of like looking for a new book to read. How do you know what's good to play and what's not? What do you look for in a FUN machine? Of course, condition comes first. I find myself looking at layout and pf condition, then cabinet and head condition when I look at an ad. I've only played a handful (<6?) EMs so I don't have a good feel of what makes a fun machine. Plus availability around me isn't the best...Any thoughts or advice?

#2 6 years ago

Like anything else, you’ll play enough of them to know what you like.

For me, I used to be a single player EM fan. While I still like them, I’ve definitely come to prefer multiplayers, as competing with a friend is what really makes the game good.

I also like asymmetric playfields. While not all symmetric games are bad, asymmetrical ones are definitely more interesting to play. Each flipper has a different feel, and different timings to make different shots.

I’m also a big fan of drop targets. Not sure why, but games with large banks of them are a delight. There’s a real sense of progression when knocking them down, as opposed to a standup target that doesn’t really “react” to the player when hit.

Other than that, I’m not too picky. Don’t be scared over switches and relays! As you gather experience, you’ll notice patterns, and problems and their solutions become predictable.

#3 6 years ago

One thing that helped me is going to some pinball shows where you can play a large variety of machines. I also look at rankings (very broadly and don't take too seriously), read reviews and watch YouTube vids.

It's also important to realize that what other people like may not be what you like so just enjoy your own path of discovery through the world of pinball.

#4 6 years ago

The EM hangout is about the only place I hangout on pinside anymore.
    You being in Wisc. consider yourself lucky to be in the midst of many AAB pins
    there are lots of EM collectors in your area, find them and play their games.

#5 6 years ago

Welcome, the EM guys are a lot of fun and generally laid back.

Reviews can give a good general feel, but what appeals to one guy doesn't always work for another. And vice versa. One thing I've learned is games will never stop surprising you. A lot of games that I didn't think would be for me turned out to be great fun. And some games that everyone seems to love didn't impress me that much. As mentioned after awhile you get a good general idea of what games you will like. The more you play the better an idea you will have. I think they are having the Tom Taylor open house during MGC this next time around. That is the best local place to go to play a ton of EM games.

#6 6 years ago

We will definitely be going to MGC this year, but wasn't sure about the Tom Taylor open house. I'm not even sure tickets are available for it still, but will definitely consider it. I'm not huge into selling games, which is why I would like to find a game that I like and hold onto it. There are a handful in Madison that I can play on location, but it's just 4 or 5 games out of what 100s?? I can get a better feel for SS or DMD games. Just seems so daunting with EMs for some reason.

Are there any specific titles I should look out for? Any games that stand above the rest? I really do enjoy the EM art that these games come with, so nice backglass and pf art is definitely appreciated!

#7 6 years ago

It would be very hard to recommend something specific at this point. Some guys really love 70s Gottlieb drop target games. Some guys love 60s Williams games, some love woodrails, Ballys on and on. There are so many subsets within the EM subset, and it's very subjective really. You'd almost have better luck asking opinions on a game your considering.

#8 6 years ago

I WISH there were more EMs in my area for sale. Find one that is 100% functional and go from there!

#9 6 years ago

I only had 1 em and couldn't repair it. I was a stop on Nic's world tour and now I can't get enough ems. I'm sure it will wear off but I'm enjoying it while it lasts

#10 6 years ago

Mid 70's Gottlieb Wedgeheads with drop targets are my favorite. Only have 3 titles that fit that description and they get lots of play. Volley is probably my favorite.

#11 6 years ago

Panda - PM sent. You can play about 10 good titles at my place if you want to make a little road trip one day. Alex has been here a few times. Maybe he'd hitch a ride. He knows the route by heart.

#12 6 years ago

I just went ahead and bought one without knowing much about them. It turned out to be way less mystifying than a later game. If something doesn't work, take it apart and clean it... then it works. Expect cupped inserts and all sorts of little issues. None of it matters much when you hit the spinner or when the bonus is countig down. Ding ding ding ding

#13 6 years ago

You NEED to attend Tom Taylors if you are seriously thinking of grabbing and EM. One of the best colelctions anywhere and specifically EMs.

Seriously, go grab a ticket now (I think there are like 10 left)

#14 6 years ago

Take your time, buy quality. Check games out carefully. Condition is king, then the theme factor may kick in. Sci-Fi, Western, Cards, Macabre, Sports, Pool, Women, etc. Try to play more, ask some local EM owners on Pinside, see if they will let you by to play.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You NEED to attend Tom Taylors if you are seriously thinking of grabbing and EM. One of the best colelctions anywhere and specifically EMs.
    Seriously, go grab a ticket now (I think there are like 10 left)

He sells tickets?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

He sells tickets?

He partners with midwest gaming classic to do a charity thing on the Friday before/during MGC load in.

I have never gotten to go due to always being busy helping with setup, but I did get to visit a few years ago when he hosted a competition.

https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/tomtaylor/

still LIMITED tickets remain for this year.

#17 6 years ago

Wish I was closer.

#18 6 years ago

Pending all things go well (which I don't see why it shouldn't) I might be coming home with an EM today. God, my bank account hates this hobby...

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

...I might be coming home with an EM today.

Congrats. What's the game?

#20 6 years ago

I'll be looking at a Target Alpha and a Space Mission, from the same seller. Leaning towards the Target Alpha at the moment based on condition and gameplay, but I think I would be happy with either. Both are fully shopped and ready to go, which I wouldn't have minded something that needed work, but I'm not complaining

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I'll be looking at a Target Alpha and a Space Mission, from the same seller. Leaning towards the Target Alpha at the moment based on condition and gameplay, but I think I would be happy with either. Both are fully shopped and ready to go, which I wouldn't have minded something that needed work, but I'm not complaining

I would like a space mission. If you pass and the seller still wants to sell that one, then please give them my info.

#22 6 years ago

Get both, for bulk discount.

Sell SM to Whysnow.

Profit.

#23 6 years ago

If I got both, I'd be tempted to keep both...and like others, don't have to room for both, haha

#24 6 years ago

I’m close. 13 pins (mostly wood rails here, I have my 70’s wedge heads at another location). You may end up liking the older stuff

I had Space Odyssey. Great game, and I wish I had it back!

#25 6 years ago

Came home with a beautiful Target Alpha! The chimes sound so nice on this machine. The backglass is absolutely mint and the playfield is in excellent shape! I couldn't be any happier with It!

20171204_224405 (resized).jpg20171204_224405 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

congrats! Nice to see the migration has continued to the upstrairs level

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Came home with a beautiful Target Alpha! The chimes sound so nice on this machine. The backglass is absolutely mint and the playfield is in excellent shape! I couldn't be any happier with It!

Great pin

#29 6 years ago

Sweet. Enjoy the drop targets.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

congrats! Nice to see the migration has continued to the upstrairs level

It's temporary

#31 6 years ago

The little one put in a few games on it too! She's not messing around

24774817_10107641060111167_636819778899770232_n (resized).jpg24774817_10107641060111167_636819778899770232_n (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

The little one put in a few games on it too! She's not messing around

Great score!

#33 6 years ago

Looks excellent!! Enjoy. I am chomping at the bit to finish my King Pin and enjoy the heck out of my other (2 more) EMs. The sound of people playing a bunch of EMs together is captivating and the smell after a few hours of hard play is awesome! Many hundreds of sparks per game fills the room with an amazing electrical ozoney mad pinball aroma!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finding-myself-in-the-em-hangout-more-often and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.