(Topic ID: 71901)

Finally, XPIN WHITE LED Dot Matrix Display

By XPinPinball

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

white_greengel small.JPG
    white_green+Greygel small.JPG
    white_bluegel small.JPG
    white_violet+greygel small.JPG
    white_violetgel small.JPG
    white_rust+greygel small.JPG
    white_orangegel small.JPG
    white_nogel small.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

To all my friends on PinSide, I was paying attention. After almost 2 years of searching, protos with different LED blocks, and many changes, XPIN now has a WHITE LED Dot Matrix Display...and of course just in time for Christmas! http://www.xpinpinball.com/products/displays/NEW-XP-DMD4096LV-W

Quite a few of you may have seen it at the Chicago Expo and I received a lot of great comments about different color gels and ideas as to how to handle them. The current plan is to send out a complete set of color gels in each box. The pictures below are just some samples. The official pictures will be up on the website in the next couple of weeks with a larger variety of colors to see. The key thing in dealing with a white LED as it is being done, is to experiment with the gels I provide, but also keep in mind that your imagination is the limit.

In the pictures I actually stacked a couple of gels giving them a different contrast. Different colors are achieved by stacking different gels as well, so play with it to find something you like.

The image white_nogel small.jpg is what a white display looks like with no gels. Don't let the yellow dots concern you. This yellow dot is a phosphorescent material that is required for this LED block technology to make it cost effective. As you add gels, these dots are not noticed.

For those of you not looking for a white DMD, I have recently received more of my other color DMD displays.

From now until Christmas, every order can be shipped with either a T-Shirt or Poster free+shipping (domestic only). Just go to the Accessory page http://www.xpinpinball.com/products/accessories/Accessories and make your
    selection.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Brett
    XPin

#2 10 years ago

Here are the pictures!white_greengel small.JPGwhite_greengel small.JPGwhite_green+Greygel small.JPGwhite_green+Greygel small.JPGwhite_bluegel small.JPGwhite_bluegel small.JPGwhite_violet+greygel small.JPGwhite_violet+greygel small.JPGwhite_violetgel small.JPGwhite_violetgel small.JPGwhite_rust+greygel small.JPGwhite_rust+greygel small.JPGwhite_orangegel small.JPGwhite_orangegel small.JPGwhite_nogel small.JPGwhite_nogel small.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Very sweet Brett!

#4 10 years ago

I saw this at Expo, photos don't do it justice, colors are much richer and saturated in person.

#5 10 years ago

Very awesome

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! You are right, the photos don't do it justice. I am definitely not a photographer. I will post new ones with a much larger variety. I am going to work on a web page that will show some possible color combinations as well.

#7 10 years ago

My vendor for the gels offers 16 colors. I don't know if the cost will be low enough to offer all 16 but I maybe looking at just having the gels as separate items to be ordered.

#8 10 years ago

Brett, any idea if these will fit the new backbox design of Star Trek?

-Wes

#9 10 years ago

Anyone who lives near a Guitar Center or DJ Supply can get 100s of gel colors, if the included ones do not float your boat.

http://leefilters.com/lighting/colour-list.html

http://www.rosco.com/filters/roscolux.cfm#colors

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from XPinPinball:

Thanks for the kind words! You are right, the photos don't do it justice. I am definitely not a photographer. I will post new ones with a much larger variety. I am going to work on a web page that will show some possible color combinations as well.

It's just super hard to photograph, I tried at Expo too. When the blue filter is on it's *blue* not the white with blue halo the camera shows.

#11 10 years ago

You need a white balance card and a DSLR .

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Brett, any idea if these will fit the new backbox design of Star Trek?

-Wes

The XPIN DMD display should not have any issues fitting in the new Star Trek LE. Let me know when you want it and I will head down the street and do a personal install...

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You need a white balance card and a DSLR .

Backlit sources are just a bitch, I was shooting with a DSLR. Sensor gets fooled by the light, over exposes. I haven't found a reliable method of shooting light sources yet.

#14 10 years ago

Usually, I use the existing light (in this case maybe the white display) to light the white balance card.

Tell the camera that this is white (often a WB button).

Shoot away until you change light sources.

===========

Fun assignment: Aim camera at a purple or green wall and hit the White Balance button. Take pics of your girlfriend and post them on her Facebook.

#15 10 years ago

What did Ed Cheung have to do with this display? Did he help in the design of the XPin displays? Ed has helped me solve pinball tech problems from time to time. Great Guy!

#16 10 years ago

The XPin dot matrix controller is FPGA based. Ed did the FPGA code and I did the board design. You can't see it but the display is actually plugged into my controller. It is independent and doesn't require a WPC MPU. Ed deserves the credit for the code.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from XPinPinball:

The XPIN DMD display should not have any issues fitting in the new Star Trek LE. Let me know when you want it and I will head down the street and do a personal install...

Happy to help you, I have one here, but you will have some issues, mainly due to the red filter (no clear cover)

#18 10 years ago

looks great. Realistically, this is the only DMD you really need to make as it can be made to any color you wish.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Happy to help you, I have one here, but you will have some issues, mainly due to the red filter (no clear cover)

Makes me think that I will have to look into having a clear one made...If Stern is doing that then something will need to be done. Does Pinbits do clears?

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks great. Realistically, this is the only DMD you really need to make as it can be made to any color you wish.

You are right on that one. I can see that the white will displace all of the fixed colors I offer (Red, Green, Blue, Amber) but I doubt if it I will ever stop making the orange. That will be the low cost alternative for those looking for quick flip if they can't get a plasma.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from XPinPinball:

The XPin dot matrix controller is FPGA based. Ed did the FPGA code and I did the board design. You can't see it but the display is actually plugged into my controller. It is independent and doesn't require a WPC MPU. Ed deserves the credit for the code.

I wish some "other" companies would contract him to help with code

#22 10 years ago

$350 seems steep when you can get a ColorDMD for $400. I will say it again. I am surprised somebody has not been able to come out with a color selectable LCD DMD (to a single color) kit for about $250. The LCD displays are inexpensive (around $40-$50) so it is just a matter of somebody with skills putting together a kit that is practical without extra components that are not needed for a single color.
    To me any display selling for over $300 would lead me to buying a ColorDMD to have the better technology.

#23 10 years ago

Because the LCD displays that are that cheap have crappy viewing angles.

#24 10 years ago

Yeah, but I've seen plenty of ColorDMD's and have yet to see one at a bad viewing angle. They are finally looking into doing a single color selectable kit. Dmod asked for input and suggestions in one the DMDExtender threads. I've been saying it for a year that they should do a single color selectable, non-game specific kit for $250. They'd sell like hotcakes at that price. Sounds like with the increased competition, they finally might be listening.

I like the idea of the white LED DMD, I just can't deal with the grid lines. I know it's unescapable, but that with the high price.....I'm with DCFAN.

Also, I know the native off state of the white LED's for these is gold, but do they really show up that vivid in the background like that last photo? Anyone have a video they can post?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

$350 seems steep when you can get a ColorDMD for $400. I will say it again. I am surprised somebody has not been able to come out with a color selectable LCD DMD (to a single color) kit for about $250. The LCD displays are inexpensive (around $40-$50) so it is just a matter of somebody with skills putting together a kit that is practical without extra components that are not needed for a single color.

One of the challenges with any product is that you have to weigh the pros and cons in the selection. I personally think the ColorDMD guys have a good product. I have seen it in many games. Some games look good, others not so good. It is all a matter of personal preference. Call me old school, but I personally prefer monochrome coloring on the DMD displays. I am way to interested in playing the ball than watching the screen...that is for the audience.

A guiding point in my designs is to try and accommodate as many games as I can...universal if possible. Depending on the game, I have yet to find any that I can't drop an XPin DMD into. I haven't had to write any new firmware for the game, or made any custom hardware pieces. Can you put a ColorDMD in a DE game without more custom hardware than it already has? What about some of the Stern games? Capcom? It is all about what you are targeting.

In the electronics industry, volume is key when it comes to components and circuit boards. If you only build 100 pieces at a time, there are no price breaks in the production costs. You might be able to get a low end laptop for $250 today, but so will 500,000 other people. If the mfg only was going to buy parts for 100 of these laptops, they definitely wouldn't be selling them for $250 if they wanted to make any money.

I think the ColorDMD folks were creative and innovative in their solution, re-purposing a laptop screen. I think all of the engineers that have come up with products to keep the games alive and fresh deserve a round of applause for their dedication and willingness to share their talents to keep the hobby alive. I know that most of us though are still working day jobs with the dream of maybe quitting them and doing this full time, but that really is a dream because the profit margins are small, especially if a distribution model is chosen to get the product out.

Sorry for the soapbox guys...

Miguel, concerning the gold dots, if you put the grey film on you don't see them.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from XPinPinball:

Miguel, concerning the gold dots, if you put the grey film on you don't see them.

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks!

#28 10 years ago

Saw them at Expo. Looked awesome. I just ordered 2. Can't wait!
    Best,
    Jim

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-xpin-white-led-dot-matrix-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.