(Topic ID: 58919)

Finally went to Vegas, visited PHOF, and played "real" WOZ!

By Rarehero

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Josie_vegas.JPG
    Annex9.JPG
    Annex8.JPG
    Annex7.JPG
    Annex6.JPG
    Annex5.JPG
    Annex4.JPG
    Annex3.JPG
    Annex2.JPG
    Annex1.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

Just got back from my first road trip to Vegas with my gf! Had a lot of fun, but I'll just give you the pinfo!

We stayed at the Riviera which had the Pinball Hall of Fame annex. They had a healthy collection of new Sterns (CSI, FGY, BDK, IM, LOTR, WPT, NBA) a 80s/90's games (Freddy, NBAFB, Taxi, Vegas, Tee'd Off, Surf 'n Safari) and a ton of EMs. Most were on, clean-ish, and working well with the sound turned up. Tee'd was the only one turned off. I had to turn BDK off cuz all the balls were stuck in the VUK Strangely enough I mostly played Iron Man, even though I used to own it...I guess I kinda miss it? There never seemed to be more than 2 or 3 people in there at any given time.

After Vegas fun, we stopped at the PHOF before we drove home. I've been wanting to play Pinball Circus FOREVER...I was so excited to finally see what it was like! It was OFF!!! NOOOOOoooOoooOOOOOoooOOoooo!!!! OK, I was sad .....but I was surrounded by a ton of other games so I got over it. I found WOZ and was excited to play and see how it differed from my previous experience at PPE.

The GOOD:
    -Flippers were STRONG!!! I will put flippergate to rest.
    -I really liked the outlane ball-save games. Holy crap, "No Place Like Home" is like a mini-wizard mode...just to get your ball back! I actually completed it once...must have been 5 minutes of making specfiic shots...felt pretty good about that- but then lost my saved ball in seconds lol. Toto is MUCH harder as it's timed...but I managed to save him once & keep my ball
    -I got 4 or 5 replays so I got to play it a lot ...I gave my last replay to a mom/daughter who were watching me play and seemed really excited about the game.
    -The game was over in a relatively non-pin section with the sound cranked up. I appreciated that, as I like to hear pin's audio when I play.

The BROKEN:
    As well built as it is, it's still a pinball machine on route - here's what didn't work:
    -Monkey was broken. He was stuck at the top and didn't come down for the ball when it stuck to the magnet.
    -The Tinman & Scarecrow rollovers were not sensitive enough and just would NOT register rollovers, so I couldn't start that multiball. I thought Scarecrow was full on broken but I managed to get the "S" over the course of many games.
    -The ball would always fall off the wireform that comes back from the upper left playfield. It never made it all the way to drop in the right inlane. I've seen that happen on other games (Addams if the ball is whipping back fast) ...but it happened EVERY time - thought that was weird. This happening on anyone's home games?

Anyway, despite not being able to get multiballs, I had a good time with it. Some of my previous criticisms didn't change (annoying ding SFX, not feelin' the toys, main PF doesn't have much cool stuff going on)...but I could definitely feel the Keith rules forming, esp. with the "No Place Like Home" ball save mode...I was definitely feeling some of that TSPP/LOTR vibe in the sense that there will just be lots of stuff to do to keep you entertained over the course of a long balltime style game. My girlfriend gave the LCD a thumbs up - she really liked seeing the movie clips while I was playing. I liked it, too...it was nice to just look up and see what I had done/needed to do. It's def a solid game & has me really interested in Hobbit now that they've got 1 down.

As for the rest of the PHOF - my girlfriend wanted to play some EMs/Woodrails cuz she really liked the artwork....but after a few games she said they were too hard Get this - here's what she was excited about - SPACE JAM. LOL ...*shrug* ...she's 28, she loves that horrible f*cking movie...haha....soooo yeah we played some Space Jam. Since I've pretty much played all the "common" games there, we stuck to weird and rare games like Goin' Nuts and Orbitor One. I love playing those weird games - but honestly after playing them, you know why they're rare. COOL, but ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz..... Oh, it was nice to see Metallica Premium...man, I LOVE that Donny translite. I have to be honest, I was actually thinking "hmmm...should I sell my MOPLE and get a Premium?)

All in all, I thought the PHOF (and Riviera annex) was really cool - we only spent a few hours there so we could hit the road and get home, but it's definitely the type of place that you could lose DAYS in. Pretty much every Stern, every good 90's B/W game, old stuff, rare stuff, weird stuff, classic vids. Even with all those games turned on, it was nice and COOL with AC blasting while it was 115 degrees outside. Thumbs up to the PHOF (but i hope Pinball Circus is working next time )

PS: Whoever drew a big mustache on Frodo (LOTR LE) ...F YOU!

#2 10 years ago

Annex @ The Riviera pics:

Annex1.JPGAnnex1.JPG Annex2.JPGAnnex2.JPG Annex3.JPGAnnex3.JPG

#3 10 years ago

More...

Annex4.JPGAnnex4.JPG Annex5.JPGAnnex5.JPG Annex6.JPGAnnex6.JPG

#4 10 years ago

...and the rest of the annex pics:

Annex7.JPGAnnex7.JPG Annex8.JPGAnnex8.JPG Annex9.JPGAnnex9.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Nice, didn't know the Riviera had that section. I was at the PHOF about a month ago and WOZ and MET weren't there yet. Guess I'll be having to pay both places a visit again on next LV trip.

#6 10 years ago

Dang, they have lockdown bars on everything! Cool pics - thanks for posting.

#7 10 years ago

Great report! Yeah I am addicted to Iron Man now too. I should've played it more at Flipperspiel my last Vegas trip

#8 10 years ago

How were your rooms at the Riviera? I haven't stayed there since 1983! Would you stay there again, if they didn't have pinballs?

#9 10 years ago

I had a smoking room (they still have those?) which kinda sucked since I don't smoke tobacco, but it was also kind of old school Vegas appropriate. I stayed there b/c of the pinball and b/c the rooms were only $31/night. I am good with low key places so I'd stay again there but probably would stay downtown otherwise if there was no pinball...

#10 10 years ago

How were your rooms at the Riviera? I haven't stayed there since 1983! Would you stay there again, if they didn't have pinballs?

Well, I wanted to bring my dog with me so I had to get a Petstay room which was a little dumpy but got the job done. At the end of the day - it's just there for sleeping! Maybe the other rooms are nicer? I dunno.

Here's what a dog looks like when it's 115 degrees:

Josie_vegas.JPGJosie_vegas.JPG

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, I wanted to bring my dog with me so I had to get a Petstay room which was a little dumpy but got the job done. At the end of the day - it's just there for sleeping! Maybe the other rooms are nicer? I dunno.
    Here's what a dog looks like when it's 115 degrees:

I'm surprised he didn't hyperventilate!

#12 10 years ago

Rare hero, were you there for rollercon?

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Rare hero, were you there for rollercon?

Nope just went randomly for fun...but Roller Con was in the Hotel! I dont know anything about Roller Derby but everyone was nice and fun...we loved seeing all the people in their Roller Derby outfits. They all loved my puppy.

Quoted from PINBELL:

I'm surprised he didn't hyperventilate!

For the most part she was in the air conditioned room...but on the way home it was really hot in the car, even with the AC blasting. She had plenty of iced cold water and eventually calmed down.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-went-to-vegas-visited-phof-and-played-real-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.