(Topic ID: 115470)

FINALLY: Repro Police Force Center Lower Ramp

By Kholmes

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pkiefert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 9 years ago

Believe me when I say Vacuum forming isn't as cut and dry and easy as most people think. Myself included.

I had some pretty defined visions of what it took to make a ramp, and upon actually seeing it done and the amount of time it takes, it's completely different than what I thought. I had visions of stamping out ramps at a fast pace, similar to metal stamping, but a single pull off the tool can take 6-8 minutes per pull between heating and cooling depending on the size/type of the tool. And that doesn't include rough trimming, cnc, final prepping and any hardware installation.

They personally test fit the ramps several times through several iterations to tweak the CNC and ramp tooling to get the best quality before the ramps are run. It's part science, and part art.

I've seen seen the whole process in person, and the type of tool does make a difference in the final product, and each additional pull from an inferior tool makes an increasingly inferior product as the tool deteriorates. The cheaper tools are made for much lighter use.

3D printing is not capable of anything remotely like this. Not even close. Not to mention that most 3D printers are not even close to being able to print anything that big. 3D printing is useful, it's just not useful in vacuum forming.

The reason Larry is running both is he's already got the original tool, which when Williams made it had both ramps on them.

#74 9 years ago

I should also add you'll need to build two fixtures usually. One for the forming, and one for the CNCing.

Usually they will destroy one of the formed sheets by pouring epoxy in them to make an epoxy tool to hold the ramp for CNCing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pkiefert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-police-force-center-lower-ramp?tu=pkiefert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.