(Topic ID: 115470)

FINALLY: Repro Police Force Center Lower Ramp

By Kholmes

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago

You're getting a little tech savy for me...lol. Anyway, the company I spoke with said the thinness/thickness of the "plastic" will match the game, which is approximately an 1/8". It will be the same, clear, and have a nice new shine to it. Just no stickers or parts for it, so your existing pieces/parts will have to be transferred to the new plastic.

I personally don't care about the stickers. It's moot to me. Dues to several questions raised above.

I also don't want any liabilities, but I sure would like an answer from PPS. Anyone else try and get a hold of PPS? It may help the cause, maybe send a PM to them. Thanks!

#52 9 years ago

I've been contemplating trying to go by PPS and check out their MMR one of these days (possibly next weekend if I can) if I do I'll inquire with rick about it.

#53 9 years ago

Please do, I have been in contact with Rick a few weeks back, but since this forum began I haven't heard back from him. It seems as though there is enough interest maybe that PPS can make a batch of them and make everyone happy.

I'd appreciate you going to him. If I wasn't in Ohio, I would do the same. Thanks again.

#54 9 years ago

Sure thing, I need to find his number and give him a call maybe this weekend and see if it's possible for next weekend. if you've been in contact with him before he may be keeping an eye on it to see potential interest, or he may just be busy with other things at this time (MMR im sure is keeping him busy these last few weeks). But I'm sure someone asking about ti would help.

#55 9 years ago

I called him at 408-426-4510, and pressed numerous buttons on the menu and got through to him. I agree someone else asking would help. Let me know what he says if you speak with him.

#56 9 years ago

Kholmes. I personally have no problem with your doing this and your ramp would be best for people who only need the one ramp. The original tool I have for police force has both the inner and outer ramps on it. So when I do my run in 6 months, I will have to reproduce both ramps. Since the inner ramp vastly outsells the outer I will be forced to sell them as a complete set. If I did not do that I would be forced to trash the outer ramps increasing the price of the inner ramp drastically. So if you want to just order the inner ramp and have the know how to transfer the hardware yourself and don't care about decals you would be better off buying Kholmes ramp assuming the quality is there. When I produce my ramp, it will be with thicker plastic, all hardware attached and decals. I'm not upset with competition cause in the end, it is better for the hobby.

#57 9 years ago

It's been pointed out to me that I neglected to let everyone know who I am so I've changed my profile. I'm Larry Rosenthal and I bought the ramp manufacturing business from Pinball Inc. The ramps are now being reproduced under the Starship Fantasy brand, www.starship-fantasy.com.

#58 9 years ago

Thanks Larry for the post, and I'm sure pinsiders appreciate the response and information. In this post, people are not concerned at the moment with the outer ramp as those are easily or more readily available than the center ramp.

Off hand, what's your price for the center ramp? I'm curious what's the significant rise in cost. Thanks

#59 9 years ago

High enough that everyone would be pissed off. This is why I'm going to be selling them only as a set.

#60 9 years ago

I see. If you know off hand, what's your price for the set? If it's cost effective and you have a date of release in mind, then we'd like to hear it (6 month's release or is this a start date of production?).

I'm just a pinsider and homeowner of a few pins so just trying to gauge a target date. According to this website, people have been waiting a while for this.

I'm not against it but if you can give some promise to us consumers that it'll be produced in the near future and not years then I'm sure the support will be there. I'd be on board too.

I hope this makes sense to everyone. I'd like to hear input from others too. Thanks

#61 9 years ago

My guess is that the price will be right in the $250 range. I can not give you a date certain for release because I depend on 4 companies to manufacture the parts that we will assemble here in Glendale, AZ. I can tell you it is on the short list, 6 months is my best guess and I will do everything within my power to get it done in that time frame.

#62 9 years ago

Larry, I was already planning to buy an outer ramp too, so a set would be fine with me, but about how many sets will be made when you get these run? And will you allow any preorders? I am not as frequent on the forum as I should be to keep track of these things and am afraid when they do get ran I'll miss out.

I'm ok waiting the 6 months because of the quality I know I'll be getting, but I want to make sure I don't wait for nothing.

#63 9 years ago

Maybe a dumb question, but why don't you just produce more inner ramps than outer ramps? Make them at a 3 ratio and you won't have to "trash" anything.

Quoted from lrosent345:

Since the inner ramp vastly outsells the outer I will be forced to sell them as a complete set. If I did not do that I would be forced to trash the outer ramps increasing the price of the inner ramp drastically.

#64 9 years ago

It may be that the mold requires both ramps be produced. My question is why not just throw away the molded material for the outer ramp which would only add materials cost and no labor or machining costs to the inner ramp, which shouldn't be all that much.

#65 9 years ago

Both ramps are on the same tool. You can't make one but Schwaggs suggestion is worth investigating. I will see what's possible when I actually run the ramps. I suspect that the thermoforming company would add a surcharge to the cost. While I would save the cost of cnc-ing the ramp there is a problem with all the scrap it would create. It has to be stored and sold on the open market for pennies on the dollar. It's reground and formed into new sheets which I can't use. I only use virgin plastic.

#66 9 years ago

I see such a waste of making two ramps when the outer ramp is readily available now. The need is for the center ramp.

Why are there so many outer ramps available now and no center ramps? That tells me that they most likely were made from a separate mold.

I think it's unfair to make people purchase both at a high price. Why not make the mold in a set and sell them separate and keep the cost at a minimum, as I am sure the outer ramp will sell eventually. My thoughts.

#67 9 years ago

No, the reason that there are still outer ramps in stock is because that ramp doesn't get beat to hell like the center ramp does, and owners don't need to replace them often. PI ran both (the same amount and apparently, on the same double mold) and ONLY the center ramp sold out. They were not originally sold as a bundle. The outer has been in stock for ages.

That should tell anyone looking at this situation the obvious truth of the matter:

We don't need outer ramps, and anyone buying a "set" is most likely doing so only to get the center ramp. In other words - spending TWICE what they need to get the one part.

That's just... wrong. Intentionally bundling something at 2x the price because you know darn well that the market only wants ONE ramp? Hmmm.... you've still got plenty of the outer ramps in stock. They would have sold if anyone needed them. So your solution then, is to force everyone who does need ONLY a center ramp, to buy another expensive part that we DON'T need? That would still leave you with a large overstock of original run outer ramps - just like you have now. How about making a newer mold from a NOS or repro center ramp and just running those - half the material cost and you are actually providing a very desired piece that would sell in minutes. Police Force is an $800-1200 game TOPS. Do you think very many people are going to spend over 1/4 the value of the machine on ramps, when they don't even need the outer one?

Kholmes, I'd go ahead and get on this. Honestly, I was been told by PI over a year ago that those ramps would be done in a "couple months". I was told again at the Chicago Pin Expo "oh we're going to run those soon" Now, we're told that in order to get the center ramp - if and when it ever actually gets made - that we have to buy both ramps at a rather high price? I'm tired of the waiting, the games, and constantly shifting narrative. This now makes the THIRD different "story" I've been told by PI/SF/whomever owns the darn rights to the molds in the last 2 years about these ramps. And still nothing...

No thanks. I'd rather buy two of Kholmes' center ramps at $125 each than buy one of each for the same price. I'm certainly in for two at $75 which is a no brainer. Spending $250 for the set just doesn't make one lick of sense. Sorry.

#68 9 years ago

I appreciate all your comments and I will try my best to explain why some of your suggestions are just not possible. Pinball Inc, in June of 2009, produced 100 of each ramp. I currently have 38 outer ramps in stock. That means 62 pinheads purchased the outer ramp even when they did not need to. No one needs the outer ramp is just not true. Some pinheads would rather buy both ramps even if they only need one because they just do not want a 26 year old ramp next to a brand new one. Some buy both ramps just in case because they love the game and don't foresee ever selling it. I am not intentionally bundling the ramps. The original Williams mold as I have said before has both ramps on it.

The obvious and at first easiest solution would be to make a new mold for the inner ramp. I do not use nor will I ever use a urethane mold. To make an epoxy mold will cost around $5000. This means that in order to break even on a run of 100, I would have to add $50.00 to the cost of the ramp. Note I'm saying break even, no profit. It took 4 years to sell the 100 inner ramps. The next 100 will take longer than that because there is always a pop when a new title is produced. The pop will not be as great the second time around. So $50.00 gets added to the cost of the ramps in hopes that I will recover the cost of the mold in 4 to 8 years. In the future I will be willing to use some of the profits to produce ramps that the community needs even though a profit is not possible but during the time I am still paying for the business, I have a negative cash flow each month and I simply can not afford to do this at this time.

#69 9 years ago

5k is expensive for a mold. That is a much higher quote than I received. Significantly higher and this is a local company in ohio that has done a few ramps in the past. They are not over charging or pricing whatever you want to call it. These days people are strapped for capital and why spend the extra money when we don't have to. It's like the market is locked right now for this ramp. And who takes the hit, we the consumer. We want results at an affordable cost.

I hope others agree.

#70 9 years ago

I can speak with this company I am in communication with and see if the ramp can be made thicker to avoid the continued breakage of this ramp.

If it does cost too much, then I'll ask others opinions on here. We can always have the ramp made and add cliffy's to help protect the ramp. Just a thought.

#71 9 years ago

Your price for the mold is lower cause you're using a urethane mold.

#72 9 years ago

Since the inner ramp vastly outsells the outer I will be forced to sell them as a complete set. If I did not do that I would be forced to trash the outer ramps increasing the price of the inner ramp drastically.

How can you type what I just quoted, and then turn around and say "I'm not intentionally bundling the ramps"???? That is exactly what you are doing, and you just said so.

I don't think owners of the machine who need a new ramp, really care what the mold is made from. I know I don't. We aren't playing molds, we're playing pinball machines and you CAN'T play PF without a functional inner ramp.

Anyone who *needs* an outer ramp can buy one. Right now. But, they aren't selling, are they? That tells me that anyone who truly did *need* an outer ramp already bought one. The fact that the inners outsold the outer ramps 2-1 is exactly my point. The need is for the inner ramps - not a part that is readily available. Making more of them seems... silly and wasteful. Yes, some folks will spring to replace both ramps out of their OCD need to perfect a pin. The rest of us, would simply like to play a cool, old game that doesn't have a lot of market value - but that kids, grandparents, and regular non-pinheads really enjoy.

$5k for a single ramp mold is absurd. We live in an age of 3d printing and all kinds of manufacturing tech that simply did not exist 25 yrs ago. There are better, more cost effective ways to get the parts made today.

If there is a cheaper way to make the ramps, then I'm ALL ABOUT IT. So kholmes, (a regular guy and not a manufacturer of pins or parts) can come up with a much better price, and your response is "the mold is $5k and I have to bundle the ramps together and double the price in order to make it work". Interesting...

Get on it kholmes!! I've heard as much I need to at this point. SF obviously isn't going to do these (at least not anytime soon, or at a price that makes sense) and those of us with a broken game are sitting on an $800 paperweight.

#73 9 years ago

Believe me when I say Vacuum forming isn't as cut and dry and easy as most people think. Myself included.

I had some pretty defined visions of what it took to make a ramp, and upon actually seeing it done and the amount of time it takes, it's completely different than what I thought. I had visions of stamping out ramps at a fast pace, similar to metal stamping, but a single pull off the tool can take 6-8 minutes per pull between heating and cooling depending on the size/type of the tool. And that doesn't include rough trimming, cnc, final prepping and any hardware installation.

They personally test fit the ramps several times through several iterations to tweak the CNC and ramp tooling to get the best quality before the ramps are run. It's part science, and part art.

I've seen seen the whole process in person, and the type of tool does make a difference in the final product, and each additional pull from an inferior tool makes an increasingly inferior product as the tool deteriorates. The cheaper tools are made for much lighter use.

3D printing is not capable of anything remotely like this. Not even close. Not to mention that most 3D printers are not even close to being able to print anything that big. 3D printing is useful, it's just not useful in vacuum forming.

The reason Larry is running both is he's already got the original tool, which when Williams made it had both ramps on them.

#74 9 years ago

I should also add you'll need to build two fixtures usually. One for the forming, and one for the CNCing.

Usually they will destroy one of the formed sheets by pouring epoxy in them to make an epoxy tool to hold the ramp for CNCing.

#75 9 years ago

Thanks for the updates MonkeyGrass and pkiefert, it's appreciated. It seems as though the messages have stopped coming. I will sit tight, but I agree with MonkeyGrass. Go after the inner ramp, and sell them, so a regular guy like me doesn't have to make a product for an $800 machine. I agree. I just wish places would listen to the little man, more or less.

#76 9 years ago

Might help if you listened to the guy that explained the cost. He seemed more than reasonable in explaining why he sells the way he does. You simply didn't like the answer. Your solution would be for him to either a) do a run of plastic ramps knowing he will scrap half the run (outer lanes) and eat the cost. Or b) dive in and spend more money on a new mold for the center ramp.

While I wish you luck making your new mold, I also am hoping you realize the extant of work it will take and have asked enough questions to get a clear estimate that encompasses all the extras that seem to pop up in mold making and plastics. Are you planning on doing a preorder for these or just spending you own cash and then hoping to do a run that will cover expenses?

I'm asking because if you preorder and the costs become more than you expect you'll end up either asking for more funds or eating the cost. If you go out of pocket and the project ends up going over budget, you will have to raise your prices and hope that people still find it acceptable and not just get upset that it's a higher price for a plastic ramp without the extras.

while you at it, keep in mind you'll need to factor in any additional fees like paypal, shipping and packaging.

Best of luck, look forward to seeing how this goes

1 week later
#77 9 years ago

Regardless of all the price justifications, I'd like to see Kholmes move forward with this project.

Since the inner ramp will not be a money maker, it is low priority. Thus, despite our waiting, it might NEVER come to fruition. Even if it does, we will probably be forced to pay top dollar for the set of ramps even though most of us have no need for the outter ramp. Even if we did need the outter ramp, there are plenty of them out there.

Kholmes, please dismiss the bickering and rhetoric and move forward when you feel confident you can break even on this project. Please do this for your fellow Police Force owners, such as myself, and the pinball community at large. All of us will thank you and appreciate your commitment and dedication to pinball. When I come to Cleveland, I will find you and personally thank you and buy you many beers. I'd hope that other would do the same.

Finally, I ask the others that actually need only the inner ramp to promote this thread however you can so we can get more buyer to kholmes. Let's quit talking, take action, and get this done.

Thank you!!

My order has already been spoken for.

#78 9 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Beers are always appreciated. I'm still getting toward the goal. I just do not want to end up in the mud, so to speak. I will do all in my power to get it done. I have received zero answers from PPL. Starship may be in the works, but looks to be over a year (since there is no guarantee). If it was sooner, I would order one myself.

I've met so many that have Police Force and have had this problem center ramp for years, and I just got mine in Dec, and do not like what I see. I want results. I know I sound petty, but I am a persistent person. Sometimes it pays off.

#79 9 years ago

Not knocking you for being persistent just wanting to make sure you know the full cost and procedures. Best of luck hope it comes together at the price / quality that everyone wants

#80 9 years ago

I am not a businessman. I agree with you on some points, but persistence is key. I am hoping I can also push another company into making this mold. As for cost, at this point, does it matter (it won't be higher than original quote). The goal is for low cost so we can all be happy. There will always be an unhappy person.

Yes, I would factor in the cost of shipping etc. It is not rocket science. I am looking for support, not really an opinion at this point. The more interested buyers, then the better. I would love for Starship to get on this, but the delay is frustrating to pinsiders. There will be a delay on my part especially from start to finish. Larry from Starship already has the mold. I can recommend a company or two that are local in my city who would love the business. Prob save all of us the time and aggravation.

#81 9 years ago

When you get quotes for the mold be sure to ask them how many parts can be pulled with that mold. best of luck.

1 month later
#82 9 years ago

Hello everyone, it has been a slow process. Thanks for being patient. I've received a few more quotes from vendors in the area. Not the greatest news but some news. Prices are varied from place to place. Again, it's all about the numbers and the demand. Some were a lot higher than my original, and some were about the same. Just an FYI.

I was at the Ohio show a couple weeks back and met with Larry Rosenthal from Starship, and yes we met in person.

He had the outer ramp at the show for sale but of course not the center ramp....lol. I introduced myself and he immediately knew my name. He advised me it would me 4 months until repro of the inner ramp. I think that is reasonable. I'm going to hold him to that time frame. The cost is prob going to be over $200. I gave him my email and he said he would contact me when it begins. Larry if you're out there, can you please shed some light and reassurance?

Thoughts anyone else?

#83 9 years ago

Where I'm at right now is I have requested 2 quotes from the thermoforming company. One to do both ramps and one to destroy the outer ramp and just CNC the inner. When I get that quote I will decide if it is feasible to produce just the inner ramp and the production of the ramp (s) will be put in the queue to be run. Hopefully it can be done in less than 4 months. We'll see.

#84 9 years ago

Thank you Larry for the update. Anyone else have thoughts? Thanks.

#85 9 years ago

Very interested to see the different quotes, or at least how they compare since I don't really expect Larry to divulge all his costs.

1 week later
#86 9 years ago

Hope this will materialize.. I badly need that center ramp.

Matt in Sweden

2 months later
#87 8 years ago

Well here's the latest info. The thermoforming company will begin production of the ramps tomorrow. Baring any unforeseen setbacks, it should take them a little over a week to form and CNC cut the ramps. Figure another week or so to get them to me and a day or two to flame polish and assemble. Please don't flood me with emails now. I'll announce here when they are ready for shipment. I am only going to sell them as a set for the same price that was set 5 years ago, $238. For those of you who insist on ordering only the inner ramp you can do so via email to [email protected]. The cost for the inner ramp alone is $208. I was pretty sure this is how it would work out but I did try.

#88 8 years ago

I meant to say I'm only going to sell them as a set on my website.

4 weeks later
#89 8 years ago

So... it's been over a month since you said two weeks.

Any updates on the status of these ramps?

#90 8 years ago

No worries Starship.....stuff happens.

#91 8 years ago

I continue to be amazed at how many things can go wrong and delay the production of ramps. The thermoforming company decided on their own to change the order of production and "passed over" the Police Force ramps. I am really getting gun shy on predicting timing because it seems I'm always wrong. It's frustrating to you and me as well. Hopefully 2 more weeks.

#92 8 years ago

I have a Police Force for sale or trade. Will post pics and info shortly.

#93 8 years ago

I gave up on the whole ramp idea. I started this thread and had gotten so frustrated, I sold my PF two months ago. Guy that bought it from me asked about the center ramp and if there is a replacement. I told him that Starship would have one soon. Almost seems like back to square one. Good luck everyone, I hope you get your center ramp.

#94 8 years ago

I just need the center ramp............ !

3 weeks later
#95 8 years ago

Wow. TWO MONTHS since "Two weeks". And.... still nothing.

I am simply flabbergasted at this point. We're back at square one with no ETA and broken pins that can't be played.

Do you see what's happening? Everyone who's been waiting (for years!) for these ramps are just giving up and selling the damn things. The game is unplayable without the center ramp.

Just... sad.

#96 8 years ago

FINALLY. The ramps are in my hands along with all the hardware and decals. Personally I can't believe how long it took. I hope you can bear with me as I learn the hard way everything that can go wrong and delay production. Ramps can be ordered off the website,
starship-fantasy.com.

Outer ramp $119.00
Inner ramp $208.00
Set $238.00

Hooray!

#97 8 years ago

let the guitar solos begin

#98 8 years ago

Here's the link to the website. Good luck everyone, I miss my PF. Too bad I had to sell it cause of the center ramp. I'll help everyone out with a direct link to the website for ordering.

Inner ramp:
http://starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Police-Force-Inner-Ramp

Outer ramp:
http://starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Police-Force-Outer-Ramp

Both ramps:
http://starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Police-Force-Ramp-Set

#99 8 years ago

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#100 8 years ago

I was looking for one back when I had the machine.

It's awesome that you finally were able to sort out the reproduction issues and get these on the market.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-police-force-center-lower-ramp/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.