You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0385 (resized).JPG
IMG_5508 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20170516-152019 (resized).png
20170321_204719 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Hobbit is not anywhere near as solid as WOZ, and everyone knows it.

Everyone knows? Guess I missed the memo! My Hobbit is solid as F! Looks/plays/sounds/works fantastic.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

We have a Hobbit on route here in Dallas, and trust me...it's NOT holding up very well under high use.

A pinball on route that plays like garbage!? The sky is blue and water is wet!

If I judged games purely by route examples, I'd hate pinball in its entirety.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

You judge Ghostbusters all the time based solely on routed games!

True, but that game plays like garbage by design. Route GB's just add broken Slimers

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I don't understand how anyone thinks that Hobbit is even remotely on the same level as WoZ in that regard. Conversely, I liked the movies, and I can’t stand the game. Maybe Greg can explain that one, but I'm not going to be surprised to see another short retort with no substance behind it either if that's all that can be mustered. Maybe there’s something I’m missing in the code that makes it more interesting to play? I’m open to opinions on it, but from the 100+ games I’ve played and the hours and hours and hours I’ve spent playing it.. I just don’t get it. It doesn’t resonate the way that LOTR or WOZ do.

I dunno what to tell you - we're just seeing opposites. I haven't found WOZ to be that engaging at all...although I think if I had it at home, I'd perhaps eventually "get" it...but every time I've thought about buying one, I remember how much the target "ding" sounds annoy me. I don't really have any attachment to the Hobbit movies at all, but I love the game. Same thing happened to me with LOTR. Something about this content with Keith's programming makes me love it even though the themes aren't really my thing....and I'm one of the people who saw/played the game at Chicago Expo 2014/15 and was like "meh". I really love what the game turned into. I love the variety of the modes. I love the pop-up Beasts (I've got mine set to harder so it takes more shots to qualify their inserts). I love the Smaug "puppeteering" when he talks to you. I love killing Smaug during Multiball (only done it a few times, but it rules). I love the Gollum ball save. I love the Windlance (mine works). I love the Mode ball locks (hidden cave). I love the Dwarves singing when you get them all. I LOOOOVE all of the music, actually....just absolutely the most brilliant cinematic music ever in a game. I love collecting the shards and starting an Akrenstone mode. I love the absolute EPICNESS of the Arkenstone modes!

Personally I think there *is* something that you're missing...I don't understand how you can think it's boring. Sure, like LOTR there are long games, but every moment is cinematic excitement and constant new modes. Maybe you haven't played it with the sound blasting? I dunno....sure, it's superficial, but the sound package is phenomenal, and I know if I was playing it at low volume it wouldn't have the same impact on me.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This...lots of your points seem to revolve around the sound, and I typically can't hear it on location. I don't think it's superficial at all? My hearing is *crap*....I have what I would call severe persistent tinnitus. The only time I hear Hobbit is during multiball, and I'm not really fond of the jackpot callouts. I'll try to remember to take a set of headphones with me on wednesday... it does have a jack, yes? I can say for certain I have heard enough of the dwarves singing that I don't like it.....happens way too often, not as bad as the Frodo "But I do not know the way" callout on LOTR, but still...almost every game. I just want to shake the game and go "I DON'T CARE WHAT BILBO BAGGINS LIKES, IT'S NOT WORTH ANY POINTS, BILBO CAN GO JUMP OFF A CLIFF!"

Hahah, well the Bilbo song is an acquired taste, I suppose - I have a thing for singing in games...it makes me happy...and I think it's really cool that Two Steps From Hell did an original version of the song. It's not ripped from the movie (the movie's version is more chill and has less lines)...they did a new, more energetic version with all the lyrics from the book. Also, the stock sound settings actually dial down the music and dial up the voices/fanfare. If you bring down the other elements to be more even with the music's levels - the mix sounds WAY more robust and incredible. The music is so good, I'm not sure why the stock settings stifle it a bit....but hopefully playing with headphones might help, regardless.

Quoted from merccat:

If someone is bothered by the sound effects... WOZ is extremely adjustable.

Since the adjustments have made Hobbit way more enjoyable for me, I suppose WOZ's adjustments might as well! Looks to be the same as Hobbit - Music at 41 and everything's higher...I'd like to play a WOZ now with the audio adjusted like I have on my Hobbit.

IMG_0385 (resized).JPGIMG_0385 (resized).JPG

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Might try that myself. I think the mix is pretty good factory but a purely balanced mix might be interesting too.

The voices and fx are harsh to my ears - and I felt Hobbit was the same way until I adjusted it. Now I can raise he volume to hear the robust music, and the voices and fx are perfectly loud and clear - but not piercing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 91.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 16.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-played-woz?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.