Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pauz21
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Lots of stuff going on, decent ball times for a guy who'd never played it before and knew nothing about the rules.

One comment... more of a question... The flippers seemed underpowered. It seemed like I had to hit it just right to hit the center ramps and not roll back down.

Is that a WOZ problem or was that an issue with this particular machine? Just seemed like the flippers should have a little more kick.

Don't know what a good score is but in about a half hour the best I could do was 28,000.

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for the write up. Coil strength for flippers can be adjusted so on the machine you played they may have been turned down or just needed to be turned up a bit.

#3 10 years ago

If you could make the shot if you hit it "just right" than I would think the flipper was fine.

#4 10 years ago

I had to turn the power up from 14 to 18 on my upper flippers for the Spinning house and castle play fields. The front two flippers were perfect.. Its a sweet and easy fix.

#5 10 years ago

My coils are all set to 1.18 default strengths and there is plenty of power for everything.

Your scoring is decent. A 5K skill shot really helps to start thing out. Get 3 locks from the LTS rollovers to get emerald city multiball going. Spell RAINBOW to get to the munchkin playfield modes. Spell BALL to get to 2x scoring. Capture Dorothy and spell RESCUE for multiball. Maybe get a TOTO save to extend play...

Before you know it you'll be scoring 6 digits.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Lots of stuff going on, decent ball times for a guy who'd never played it before and knew nothing about the rules.
One comment... more of a question... The flippers seemed underpowered. It seemed like I had to hit it just right to hit the center ramps and not roll back down.
Is that a WOZ problem or was that an issue with this particular machine? Just seemed like the flippers should have a little more kick.
Don't know what a good score is but in about a half hour the best I could do was 28,000.

The coils in WOZ can be adjusted individually for whatever coil strength you want. They're shipped at lower values to help protect the insides of the machine from being beat up!

#7 10 years ago

It's one of those "Why didn't someone implement this sooner?" features that I appreciate about WOZ. (Apologies if someone did in fact include it in any earlier pin. I've never seen it.)

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

It's one of those "Why didn't someone implement this sooner?" features that I appreciate about WOZ. (Apologies if someone did in fact include it in any earlier pin. I've never seen it.)

Capcom had adjustable coils

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Capcom had adjustable coils

Well, that would explain why I haven't seen it. Just wish it had caught on. It's a useful asset.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

My coils are all set to 1.18 default strengths and there is plenty of power for everything.

Agreed. I even have my back legs jacked all the way up for a steeper incline & faster play, and I'm still able to make ramp shots from both flipppers, no problem.

Pauz21, the flipper issue was probably something related to that one particular machine you were playing.

#11 10 years ago

I put about 50 games on a WOZ over the weekend running 1.18. I was able to hit the ramp perfectly over and over. I even saved that scrappy little mutt Toto a few times.

As people are saying above, the adjustable coils could have a lot to do with it, along with which version of the software the game was running. JJP has changed the default settings for coils in different versions. Over time with more and more versions of the software that stuff should even out.

#12 10 years ago

I haven't adjusted my flipper coils. The right ramp is no gimme but if you hit it solid it takes. I don't want my tables to reward flailing shots.

#13 10 years ago

I once hit the ramp 32 consecutive shots, and I haven't changed a single coil strength since I got it. My flippers are much stronger than any of my Sterns have been. My popbumpers are so strong on WOZ that I'm probably going to have to adjust those soon.

#14 10 years ago

Excellent. All and All I thought it was a pretty cool pin. Didn't play it enough to learn all the gimmics but it was fun.

#15 10 years ago

Any idea if it was a prototype WOZ? You can tell them by their green trim but standard topper. Also they tend to have a few issues.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Any idea if it was a prototype WOZ? You can tell them by their green trim but standard topper. Also they tend to have a few issues.

Production models have a few issues as well, nice try.

#17 10 years ago

Well, no issues yet on mine. Knock on wood apron, I guess.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Production models have a few issues as well, nice try.

What was I trying?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

What was I trying?

I think he's saying you're a JJP fanboy.

Boy, is he *way* off!

To the original problem: prototype games with prototype driver boards, especially those running older software, are known to have weaker flippers. But with production models there is NO problem whatsoever, and they can be cranked up to an INSANE strength that literally rips apart plastics on the playfield. So if that game was weak, it was either a prototype, or someone purposefully made it that way.

1 week later
#20 10 years ago

My wishes must have been heard. Was back on a business trip and spent 2 hours there. Flipping great. Broke 55,000. Not sure if that's good or not but it took me some effort.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 5.00
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 91.00
$ 16.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-played-a-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.