(Topic ID: 275784)

FINALLY - New Chrome Logo Solution for Data East Aprons

By Mr_Tantrum

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200827_152133 (resized).jpg
    20200827_152150 (resized).jpg
    20200827_152141 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4364 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4359 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4358 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Something has been bugging me about my DE Jurassic Park since the day it made it into my lineup - the missing chrome on parts of the DE logo on the center of the apron. I've scoured Pinside on a few occasions, but was never able to find a practical or simple solution where I was fully pleased with the results. So, after working on it for sometime and acquiring the proper tools and materials for other mods I make, I thought I would see if I could come up with a good solution, and I think I did.

I've created a chrome vinyl decal that fits nearly perfectly on top of the existing raised logo (minus the small circled R). I'm assuming the chrome apron logo is the same dimensions on all DE games, but if not I'm happy to modify my design.

I'm making these available to other DE owners for $20 each (including postage - add $2 for international postage). Please PM me if interested for ordering details.

My original with some chrome missing (not nearly as bad as many I've seen)
    IMG_4358 (resized).JPGIMG_4358 (resized).JPG

My custom made chrome vinyl decal with transfer tape applied
    IMG_4359 (resized).JPGIMG_4359 (resized).JPG

Decal with backing removed
    IMG_4360 (resized).JPGIMG_4360 (resized).JPG

The newly installed decal
    IMG_4364 (resized).JPGIMG_4364 (resized).JPG

Installation is simple when following these instructions:
    - Remove any loose flaking from the existing chrome
    - Clean all raised areas where the decal will be applied with a non-residue grease removing cleaner (e.g. alcohol, Windex, etc.)
    - Carefully peel the white backing from the decal being sure not to pull away decal elements with the backing. If you do, it is okay as these pieces can be applied by hand after the rest of the decal is completed.
    - Align the decal as best as possible so that coverage is accurate all the way around border an on text elements
    - When you are happy with alignment, firmly press all decal surface areas with a non-abrasive edge (e.g. a felt squeegee, a stiff card, or even use your fingers).
    - Carefully peel back the transfer tape applying pressure to the decal areas where the tape is about to be removed.
    - Once tape is fully removed, apply pressure to entire decal area with you finger (do not use your nail or you will scratch it). I cover my finger with a microfiber cloth so as not to leave fingerprints on the decal.
    - If you did leave prints on the graphic, gently wipe with a lint free rag to remove them.
    - Replace the glass, and you're all set.

#3 3 years ago

Impressive. You don't see nice DE logos often.

#4 3 years ago

i also had some pieces of chrome missing on my apron and i've repaired mine with the molotow chrome pen, you can hardly see its repaired.

i know them from some toy repair channel;

#5 3 years ago

More great work from Mr_Tantrum! I have his chicken plastic and the blank plastic decal for my LAH.

I am in.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from MeesterPieter:

i also had some pieces of chrome missing on my apron and i've repaired mine with the molotow chrome pen, you can hardly see its repaired.
    i know them from some toy repair channel;

Might be another option, would be nice to see some before/after pics. I will say that my vinyl decal is non-destructive/easily removable which may or may not be a plus for some owners.

#7 3 years ago

yea i'll see if i can do that

#8 3 years ago

Just installed Mr_Tantrum's DE decal. Looks great. Had lots of chrome missing.

Add this to Chris's other fine work.

20200827_152133 (resized).jpg20200827_152133 (resized).jpg20200827_152141 (resized).jpg20200827_152141 (resized).jpg20200827_152150 (resized).jpg20200827_152150 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-new-chrome-logo-solution-for-data-east-aprons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.