3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I did it. I sold 2 games out of my 3 game collection this week. So far it's been a little easier to cope than I originally thought. I really did love being able to walk downstairs and pick which game I wanted to play. I thought it was going to wrench at my heart when I lost them. After all, variety is the spice of life. I guess I reached that point where I know pinball will be in my life for a long time, and I'm really going to look for games that I WANT - not necessarily games that pop up and I buy because they're available. Sure, I'll still go for the super-deal on Craigslist, but at least now I can know I'll be okay with fixing them up and selling them for more pinball money. This way I can get to my dream themes and grail pins. My goal at the moment is to get all of the Star Trek games lined in my basement. That will be a great day.

Anybody sellin' a Bally or Data East Star Trek?

What was your experience with selling your first game?

#2 3 years ago

First, a moment of silence for your departed angels...

I've only owned one pin, and I had to sell it after we had our son a couple of years ago. We really really didn't want to sell it, but that money bought a lot of diapers!

I had been too busy to miss it too much for the longest time, but over the past couple of months I don't know what's happened but I really want a pin in the house again. I almost feel the same as I did before buying that first when as far as impatience goes. I actually made a goal last week to get a machine again before this year is up. Money doesn't go on trees, but hey, fingers crossed!

And yeah, I like your thoughts here. I imagine a day where I have a room of grail pins, and it makes me pretty much feel like a kid on Xmas morning just thinking about it. So I'd say your plan here is a pretty great one. Plus, one big "perk" of you not having more of a selection is that it will force you to go out to arcades more often. I drive an hour round-trip to the closest arcade to me now as often as possible (usually about once a week). That usually helps calm my jittery desires for a new pin for at least a good day or two.

#3 3 years ago

Don't be sad. Pin collecting is like beheading a hydra. When one gets chopped two more appear in it's place. :p

#4 3 years ago

I have yet to be able to bring myself to part with a single game yet. I've been meaning to, I never planned on having more than 1-3 games... I feel like I'm on the brink, I've even had generous offers, yet I still haven't caved in. I'm sorry for your loss, and hope you can recover with something you enjoy even more.

#5 3 years ago

I just sold my first pin that I bought a year and a half ago. Kinda sucked but I really wasn't playing it anymore. Sold it to a friend so it wasn't bad at all. Now looking to get something in its place that is going to get more action.

#6 3 years ago

Final closure....remove them from your pinside collection

#7 3 years ago

Unfortunately you can't keep them all and space is your enemy. Onward and upward!!

#8 3 years ago

You are a better man than I.

+1 space is your enemy.

#9 3 years ago

I remember selling my first pinball, to make space for a 'new arrival' (daughter). I swore I'd get another one, and I did. But it took 35 years. Now I have three. Don't wait too long.......

#10 3 years ago

You can't play more than one game at a time.

That is not a joke.

-

Better to own one great game, than a bunch of crap games.

#11 3 years ago

The first time I sold a game it was fantastic, mainly because it proved to my wife that I could sell them in a day if I wanted to. She has been much more relaxed about it all since then.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That is not a joke.
    -
    Better to own one great game, than a bunch of crap games.

I've just come to this conclusion myself, I'm selling my 2 to fund my grail pin

#13 3 years ago

I've amassed my "keeper" collection......games that I loved as a teenager and love just as much now. But you do get tired of playing them. Variety is key. That said, I wouldn't sell one of my keepers even if I was tired of it. I know at some point I'd miss it and want it back.

Space (lack of) is not necessarily your enemy. I have room for 9 games. I periodically swap games in and out of storage. Keeps the lineup fresh even though the games aren't new to my collection. They're more fun to play when you set them up again vs. having them set up all the time and playing them anytime you want. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

#14 3 years ago

I've got one customer that has AFM and then a dozen D-grade games.

Any time a cheaper game (under $1500) on CL, he tries to buy it. Almost like a knee-jerk reaction.

I come by and fix all the games, but the only one he really plays is AFM.

About twice a year some people come over from his workplace and play all the games. So really, he paid for and maintains all those games for two nights a year.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I've just come to this conclusion myself, I'm selling my 2 to fund my grail pin

Have to ask..What is your grail pin?

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah but the question becomes whether or not I'll get bored playing 1 game ALL the time. It was okay when it was my first game because it was exciting just knowing there was a pinball machine in the basement. When I had 3 games, this one definitely saw the least play. It's still a fun game, but now what do I do? Sell it and be patient? Being patient sucks.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

but now what do I do?

Buy 30 and you will have less of a problem letting any bottom feeders go.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Buy 30 and you will have less of a problem letting any bottom feeders go.

Haha I wish I had a wallet that fat. I'm on the fresh-from-college budget pin plan.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Yeah but the question becomes whether or not I'll get bored playing 1 game ALL the time.

A deep game like AC/DC may never let you complete every mode.

An older Williams game like MB, you might completely master within a year.

A SS type game you might be able to rollover 1 out of 3 plays.

-

No one here can say if you will get bored with any of the above.

#20 3 years ago

I guess that's what I was trying to say. I can't afford a game of that vintage. I'm basically in the pin desert in Alabama, and when they do come up for sale they're crazily over-priced. Don't get me wrong, I could definitely live with an AC/DC forever, but I can't afford one right now.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'm basically in the pin desert in Alabama, and when they do come up for sale they're crazily over-priced.

Isn't that the truth.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Yeah but the question becomes whether or not I'll get bored playing 1 game ALL the time. It was okay when it was my first game because it was exciting just knowing there was a pinball machine in the basement. When I had 3 games, this one definitely saw the least play. It's still a fun game, but now what do I do? Sell it and be patient? Being patient sucks.

I have gotten rid of some very fun pins because I overplayed them. At one time I kept 5 pins on the main level of my house and they all got played. But I got old and it was time to have a dining room again, so I now only have two pins on the main level and they get 90% of the playing because I don't want to hide from my family to play pinball.

The problem is if I get lazy and don't cycle the two pins on the main level I will burn out on the title(s) and sell it instead of just moving it to my basement pin room. Sometimes the only thing that has saved a pin is if I buy a new pin (which I of course want on the main level) before I sell one from the main level that I am bored with. Now I am very happy that many of those pins did not sell in time, they are some of my favorite.

I have never found a title that I loved enough to only play that one pin.

Try to remember that if you liked a pin enough to play it a lot, it is probably worth keeping for a few months instead of selling it (even if it is just folded up in a corner because of space issues). Give it another try after a few months of not playing it and see if you still want to sell it.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Have to ask..What is your grail pin?

A NIB Met

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've got one customer that has AFM and then a dozen D-grade games.
    Any time a cheaper game (under $1500) on CL, he tries to buy it. Almost like a knee-jerk reaction.
    I come by and fix all the games, but the only one he really plays is AFM.
    About twice a year some people come over from his workplace and play all the games. So really, he paid for and maintains all those games for two nights a year.

Believe it or not, I do understand this mentality. he may derive a great deal of satisfaction from these two nights a year. I do get it. I have five classic vespa's that sit in my front room of my home. Only get touched with a diaper and the windows have UV protection on them. I look at them sometimes as I go upstairs for the night. I'm satisfied with that! I get it.

#25 3 years ago

Its been many years but when I first got into this hobby (aka obsession) I bought whatever was
    available within reason. Enjoyed fixing up machines then selling those I didn't like to finance the
    next purchase. The first few pins I sold were Evil Knevil and Paragon. I'd like to find another Paragon
    someday. Over the years I've kept the games I like, for one reason or another and have a 'mature'
    collection. No longer buying much but enjoying the wide variety of pins I have. Couldn't be happier!
    Steve

#26 3 years ago

I haven't sold one of mine yet so I am not sure how that feels. I did, however, buy one for my father as a gift and that is at his house (NGG). Part of me wanted to keep it for my selfish self I still get to play it though when I visit.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

The first time I sold a game it was fantastic, mainly because it proved to my wife that I could sell them in a day if I wanted to. She has been much more relaxed about it all since then.

A better man than I.......

To Op.....sorry for your loss, but logic is sound.....better to have one ( or nine) that really enjoy, than 3 that were simply " a good deal"....find and fund " your" Grail , not anyone's choice here.......good luck......mark

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

I haven't sold one of mine yet so I am not sure how that feels. I did, however, buy one for my father as a gift and that is at his house (NGG). Part of me wanted to keep it for my selfish self I still get to play it though when I visit.

Ditto for me, except it was a SouthPark for my brother....

( I'm still in the " if one goes, they all go" mindset.....)

#29 3 years ago

It gets easier with time. I remember when I let my first couple go, the money in hand was great; but it sucked to see them leave.

NOW....

Man, I think I traded 5 away just last year alone, and I just let a sub 200 play IMVE from Aug 2015 go last month. Felt like I let go of a step child who was the black sheep of the family - couldn't have cared less.

It'll get better .

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Man, I think I traded 5 away just last year alone, and I just let a sub 200 play IMVE from Aug 2015 go last month. Felt like I let go of a step child who was the black sheep of the family - couldn't have cared less.
    It'll get better .

Oh the horror!!!

#31 3 years ago

Selling games gives you the 2 best things for any pin owner: Money and space.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Believe it or not, I do understand this mentality. he may derive a great deal of satisfaction from these two nights a year. I do get it. I have five classic vespa's that sit in my front room of my home. Only get touched with a diaper and the windows have UV protection on them. I look at them sometimes as I go upstairs for the night. I'm satisfied with that! I get it.

So when you walk into your front door, there are 5 Vespa scooters chillin in your living room? Are you married or single? Because if I tried to pull that off my wife would flip her lid LOL. That must be an interesting sight.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Oh the horror!!!

Oh, you'll love this part: that IMVE was a NIB purchase as well!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 3 years ago

My first pin lasted 10+ years, second pin lasted 8, third and fourth lasted 2 & 3 years. Since then I've had games that lasted 3 months (Stargate and AC/DC pro). I have four but I've gone through 18 in the last 4.5 years.

#35 3 years ago

I let go of my first pin as part of a trade. It felt kind of similar to letting go of that first car. Bittersweet. Put my hand on it, told it "you were a good machine."

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Oh, you'll love this part: that IMVE was a NIB purchase as well!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even speak!!!....you, my sir, have ice in your veins !!!.....

#37 3 years ago

18 pins over 4.5 years......but IMVE isn't going anywhere!

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

aha I wish I had a wallet that fat. I'm on the fresh-from-college budget pin plan.

I'm on that same budget. I just never say no to a game

#39 3 years ago

I started looking at pins to collect 10 years ago. Realized anything that I really had fond memories of, were way too expensive. So I bought decent pins that came along mostly broken or in need of fixing up and fund the next.

Then once I was able to afford some of those higher A list titles. I realized that some of the older (cheaper) non DMD pins and then the newer stern games actually play better and are more fun. Plus I have never played them before so it is a completely different experience from a pin that you are familiar with. You need to learn new rules etc, not 20+ years old that you know.

Not to say there aren't still some classics that I want. But if they are more expensive than a NIB pin. My mentality now is "why bother"
    There will be something else coming out that will more than likely blow those games away.

Just my thoughts on how the collector market is today. And value for the money.

That being said. I love all the pins I own now. I might sell some if I just had to have something. But if I can't afford it, I don't need it.
    So I will probably stick with what I have and buy NIB pins from now on, unless there is a deal just to good to pass up.

But the days of deals on pins are gone.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

But the days of deals on pins are gone.

Patience. They will come down; you just have to be willing to wait for a good deal, or spend a lot and have it now.

That was not directed personally at you BTW

#41 3 years ago

I will never let go of two of my games. One is not a pin *ducks* but it's the arcade game Bubble Bobble, the other is a pin, Star Trek TNG. OMG - two best games on earth ever. I may sell my TOM, Avatar LE etc. but BB and TNG are like children to me... but children I enjoy.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

I just like sitting in a room of a bunch of games. Seriously but I do play all 20 on legs. Love a large collection even when I don't play them but just turn them on.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

So when you walk into your front door, there are 5 Vespa scooters chillin in your living room? Are you married or single? Because if I tried to pull that off my wife would flip her lid LOL. That must be an interesting sight.

Ah ha. You discovered my secret. Very single. This used to be th room that the ex kept her collectibles (snow babies) etc. After she left, the scooters came inside. Realized I was probably better off alive to my young children than dead soni put them all up 'cept for one with a sidecar. The love affair has waned to some degree with them but they are a nice sight to take in from time to time. Most folks who don't know me who enter the house are quite sure what to say!!

#44 3 years ago

Kept our first Pin bought in 98 for 7 years & sad to see it go - Jokerz (the beginning of a very good bad habit), now lucky enough to have 2 Game rooms that fit 20 Pins (w/2 more in the Dining room ) .

Even more lucky that I have a Wife that digs Pinball & told me after I sold Avengers-LE & X-Men-LE to stop selling them & to rack & stack the "extras" in our garage & rotate them (AFM, FH, STARGATE, TAF, HSII & STTNG).

All third world problems

#45 3 years ago

They are just "things" and they can be replaced. I don't miss any of the games i've sold badly enough that i'd be willing to buy them back for what i sold them for. Well... maybe Twilight Zone.

#46 3 years ago

Most of my games, 6 out of eight, are sentimental to me from my youth. Those I can't see letting go. The other 2 I could part with. I usually just get games I liked back in the day. My FireBall II was a surprise game. I had never played one until I fixed the one I have now. It's a keeper too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 120.00
    $ 26.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    £ 82.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 159.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.00
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside