Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mercury
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

leg-rubber.jpg
90.JPG
relay.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0297-449.JPG
IMG_8142.JPG
IMG_8127.JPG
IMG_8121.JPG
IMG_8119.JPG
1669787_10100868741427433_4770199787783061238_o.jpg
1782557_10100868742270743_5933997404530927846_o.jpg
1932802_10100868741926433_748159874288105432_o.jpg
1962162_10100868742200883_3546093222402782691_o.jpg
10255460_10100868741836613_8147387420645104058_o.jpg
10258784_10100868741676933_3218977421656709202_o.jpg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I know there are alot of these post, but I am happy to say that I can finally join the EM club as I officially own a pinball Machine. A 1970 Williams Gay 90's, the local Habitat for Humanity Re-sell store had it for $300, listed as broken, but was less that 5 minutes from my house so I jumped on it. When I got there the guy said that they had never plugged it up (and showed me a very badly spliced power cord) and said that there were no fuses in the machine, but he had new ones in a bag and they were good to go.

So we loaded it up and headed home, and after an eventful journey up a flight of stairs, my first pinball machine was in my living room. I opened it up and it really didnt look that bad, actually I was surprised at how clean it was. I fixed the power cord, plugged in the fuses, and hit the power switch...nada. I had expected that really, and than I reached over and held the left flipper and suddenly it sprang to life. Lights came on, all scores were already at 0, and credit were already added so I pressed the start button and it shot the ball into the shooter lane much to my chagrin, plunged and was surprised as most of it worked, the scores were adding properly, the bells were working, and the flippers worked moderately.

The machine literally looks like it was taken off route and put away and than it was sold to me, of course the game is a little rough in spots. The PF is worn to the wood in spots, and one side of the cabinet is scratched up pretty bad, some lights do not work, and initially the score reels woulds stick but that has seemed to have worked itself out. The flippers are in horrible shape as they look as if they haven't been messed with since the 70's so all the linkages are very loose and they are very weak.

The one major problem I have right now is the Coin Stepper Unit will not reset off of four players at all. I can reset it to one player and it will stay one player until someone adds a second or third player and than it will stay at that number of players. The wheel moves fairly freely but when I push the reset coil down it doesn't snap back to any preset place, and sometimes doesn't move at all.

We all start somewhere I guess, pics to come later.

#2 5 years ago

Congrats! Looks like a fun layout with some interesting features.

#3 5 years ago

I'm guessing you know what you want for game 2, 3 and 4?
You can't just have one pin...you'll see.

#4 5 years ago

Congratulations.

Welcome to the addiction.

#5 5 years ago

Welcome to the asylum. Your pin is lonely already.

#6 5 years ago

congrats

#7 5 years ago

Congrats and welcome!

Williams pins are fun and dependable once fully Shopped so enjoy fixing and playing your first EM, but not your last!

Ken

#8 5 years ago

Excitement strikes the deck as the rod bends, drag screams, and line peeling off the reel.....FISH ON!!!!!!

Congratulations on your first of what may be many.

#9 5 years ago

First pins are always nice and a great learning opportunity. You'll have fun.

Pics please..

#10 5 years ago

Thank you everyone! I ordered a flipper rebuild kit, new pinball's, replacement lights, new shooter rod springs and tips, and new flipper rubbers. I can barley contain my excitement.

Quoted from AlexF:

Congrats! Looks like a fun layout with some interesting features.

The layout is much more fun than I assumed really, it has every ball-saver an EM can have basically, we have a left outlane kick-back, a middle up-post and a right outlane gate, so opening all three (which all worked once I reattached the springs) allows for some seriously fun action.

#11 5 years ago

Way to go CapsLock. Have fun cleaning, repairing, learning about, and playing your new pinball machine.
Welcome to the club! Give us a couple updates and pics over the next few months.
Cheers!

#12 5 years ago

Pics
1974236_10100868742704873_1222571598035059920_o.jpg
10255446_10100868741681923_8666069537182831546_o.jpg
10258784_10100868741676933_3218977421656709202_o.jpg
10255460_10100868741836613_8147387420645104058_o.jpg
1962162_10100868742200883_3546093222402782691_o.jpg
1932802_10100868741926433_748159874288105432_o.jpg
1782557_10100868742270743_5933997404530927846_o.jpg
1669787_10100868741427433_4770199787783061238_o.jpg

#13 5 years ago

Pin in the living room!!!!! AWESOME!!!!

Good move putting the paper under the legs. That should keep the leg levelers from getting scratched up by the wood floor.

And your kid...nice pic. I have a pic of my kid on the playfield (not on the glass) of my TAFG that I took when he was a couple months old. His mother was SO pissed I put him in a pin. I got rid of her, but I still have him and the pin. He's 20 now. Geez.....

Have fun with it. Just like you remember the first girl you tagged, you'll always remember Gay 90's.

#14 5 years ago

Congrats on your 1st pin. Welcome aboard.

#15 5 years ago

You're bringing up the kid the right way. Get 'im into pinball from the beginning. Twenty years from now, he'll be reposting that photo and saying "this is how it started; it was all my dad's fault"!

#16 5 years ago

very nice. The sickness becomes bad quickly

#17 5 years ago

Congrats sir, I just bought my first pin last week myself, an EM Card trix Sometimes you just have to go for it!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Congratulations.
Welcome to the addiction.

Nail it on the head.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from funtimewithdave:

Congrats sir, I just bought my first pin last week myself, an EM Card trix Sometimes you just have to go for it!

"Card Trix"? Nice start! Many years ago, my friend wanted this game for his first. He couldn't find one, so he got a "Flip A Card" instead. Years later, he did get a "CT", and traded the "FAC" to my brother for another game.

#20 5 years ago

there is nothing like your first... and it looks like there is plenty of room for a second...

Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Good move putting the paper under the legs. That should keep the leg levelers from getting scratched up by the wood floor.

yes, it is good to see he has his priorities in order...

#21 5 years ago

Just like you Chris.

Pins in the living room.

My wife, while cool with my addiction confines my pins to the finished basement.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

Just like you Chris.
Pins in the living room.
My wife, while cool with my addiction confines my pins to the finished basement.

living rooms are overrated...

she gets half the space there for her keyboards, computers and random other crap... i could EASILY get at least 6 more games on that side... so it is an equitable distribution of a limited resource...

#23 5 years ago

That reminds me of when Beavis and Butt-Head's history teacher tried to teach them about the Gay 90's.

#24 5 years ago

All these responses are the reason I love this site and community, thanks guys, just cant wait to get it up and running correctly. Everyones invited to come play anytime once its finished, and the wife's first response after playing the machine for the first time was "So, when are we getting another one?" I am a lucky man.

#25 5 years ago

Congrats on your first game.

Never played this title I do like that it has a vari target.

#26 5 years ago

Just started collecting this year myself. Was only planning on getting 2 this year but that number quickly turned into 6 and it's only April.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Just started collecting this year myself. Was only planning on getting 2 this year but that number quickly turned into 6 and it's only April.

hehehe...

you eventually have to sell 1 or 2 to prove it's not a real sickness
then double

#28 5 years ago

Nothing like the first time. Congrats!

#29 5 years ago

Run now..it's a sickness and there is no cure.
I always wanted a single pinball machine (well..actually, always wanted one, starting about a year ago...didn't know I wanted one until then)
So about 2 months ago I saw a good deal and picked up a High Speed. I was happy, I had my one and only pin.
Then a week later, was browsing the local classifieds bored, and saw a Demo Man for a great price. Thought it would be gone, but it wasn't. So bought that one unseen. And now a Future Spa has magically appeared in my living room too. Running out of space, might have to lose the dining room table if this continues.

Yes...it's an addiction. Your kid is going to love growing up. By then you'll have 10 of the things.

Chaos

#30 5 years ago

It is incredibly clean! Nice purchase.

#32 5 years ago

Congrats! The Gay 90s is a good game! Looks like it will clean up nice! New rubber some Novus and wax and it should be good to go.

Welcome to a great hobby, might want to keep a spot next to it, for they seem to multiply!

Tom

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

hehehe...
you eventually have to sell 1 or 2 to prove it's not a real sickness
then double

what is this word "sell" you speak of?

#34 5 years ago

Welcome to the club, CapsLock42!

#35 5 years ago

Congrats on your first pinball machine! Hopefully you can get a more modern game in there as well!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballwiz45b:

Congrats on your first pinball machine! Hopefully you can get a more modern game in there as well!

Well it wasn't made in the "Gay '90s"!

#37 5 years ago

Ha ha, I love the under play field photo! It looks like your little dude is saying "Looks like you need a flipper kit, dad"

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Card Trix"? Nice start! Many years ago, my friend wanted this game for his first. He couldn't find one, so he got a "Flip A Card" instead. Years later, he did get a "CT", and traded the "FAC" to my brother for another game.

Its a great one. The scoring reel needed a fine tune, and now that my girlfriend and I can roll the scoring (so hard) and score more than 55,000 , she has lost interest haha. Im going to the Silverball Museum this week and they have a card trix and flip a card. Want to see the difference with Flip A Card. The guy I bought the Card Trix off of said he didnt like the Flip a Card, so we will see!

Quoted from CapsLock42:

All these responses are the reason I love this site and community, thanks guys, just cant wait to get it up and running correctly. Everyones invited to come play anytime once its finished, and the wife's first response after playing the machine for the first time was "So, when are we getting another one?" I am a lucky man.

This is a great example of why I love this site. Our pinball addiction has begun!

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from JayCee:

Ha ha, I love the under play field photo! It looks like your little dude is saying "Looks like you need a flipper kit, dad"

LOL, Thanks for the laugh and he is certainly correct. The flipper assembly's have serious amounts of play, cracked bushings (I think thats what they are) and the sleeves didnt look the very good at all. The good news is my package is in Huntington, and will be at my house tonight so I will be jumping into my first rebuilding of the flippers tomorrow.

One question, does anyone know where I can get replacement passive bumper rubbers? It was sold to me with brand new Marco's rubbers but the two passive bumper rubbers are dry-rotted and provide no bounce. Thanks again everyone!

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from funtimewithdave:

Im going to the Silverball Museum this week and they have a card trix and flip a card. Want to see the difference with Flip A Card.

The "Flip A Card" at the Silverball Museum was once mine. I got it off eBay a long time ago, and it was a wreck. I spent a lot of time on it to make it nice. Unfortunately, I was unemployed several years ago, and needed quick cash to make my mortgage payment, so I brought the "FAC" down there and he bought it from me. It was tough for me to let it go, but at the time I had to do it.
Give it a loving pat for me, OK?

#41 5 years ago

BTW, as far as the artwork, even though they are similar, I prefer the playfield art on "FAC" over "CT". "CT" is a bit plain. I like the club suit symbols around the center ring on "FAC". They look more like shamrocks than clubs, but they add a little to the playfield. "CT" is the only game I know of that has a constant "WOW" or "Special" lamp lit.
They're both cool games; often overlooked.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

The "Flip A Card" at the Silverball Museum was once mine. I got it off eBay a long time ago, and it was a wreck. I spent a lot of time on it to make it nice. Unfortunately, I was unemployed several years ago, and needed quick cash to make my mortgage payment, so I brought the "FAC" down there and he bought it from me. It was tough for me to let it go, but at the time I had to do it.
Give it a loving pat for me, OK?

Thats tough to hear man. A lot of time, and you didnt want to let it go but HAD to?!?!?! I will give it gentile nudges as it drains past the tiny flippers. At least, thats what happens often with my Card Trix

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"CT" is the only game I know of that has a constant "WOW" or "Special" lamp lit.

Huh? It's not supposed to....unless you're talking about the WOW for the Ace on the bottom of the spinner lol.

CT was a lot of fun, I just couldn't ever get the full-bank reset armature switch to work correctly. Stupid design. Even with having all of the cards reset EVERY BALL, a friend and I BOTH managed to roll the game within about an hour of each other one night!

#44 5 years ago

Welcome to the madness! My first pin was Royal Flush, I really like the old EM machines and I am sure you will appreciate them as well. Just be warned it will probably not be your last. I was going to have just one too - LOL! I am up to 5 now and looking for something a bit newer to add to the collection. Enjoy! Make sure you post pictures of your machine once it is cleaned up and shopped.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from CapsLock42:

One question, does anyone know where I can get replacement passive bumper rubbers? It was sold to me with brand new Marco's rubbers but the two passive bumper rubbers are dry-rotted and provide no bounce. Thanks again everyone!

Those are regular white rubber rings...probably 1 or 1 1/4" diameter.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Huh? It's not supposed to....unless you're talking about the WOW for the Ace on the bottom of the spinner lol.

Yeah, that WOW is always on. Anytime you get the spin to land on the ACE, you get an extra ball. Cool feature!

#47 5 years ago

Some "before" and "after" shots of the "Flip A Card" I once owned that's now in the Silverball Museum.

before:
IMG_8119.JPG
IMG_8121.JPG
IMG_8127.JPG
IMG_8142.JPG

after:
IMG_0297-449.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'm guessing you know what you want for game 2, 3 and 4?
You can't just have one pin...you'll see.

Yes, this quote above is very correct!.... It happened to me... I am sure it will happen to you.... The first pin appears to be the one that will never leave.... at least for me... mine is not and never will be for sale.

The 2nd and 3rd only appears to be leading to the 4th and 5th..... We shall see where this goes, but 'congrats' on joining the hobby. It is seriously the most stress relief I can get after a hard day at work.... it rates right up there with (well, you know). But it costs a whole lot less, doesn't talk back, doesn't request favors or expect a new dress.... It just is, well fantastic! AND ONLY FOR 25 CENTS! (or 75 cents depending on how you setup your machine, or $100 if you really like it that well, hell it's worth it! )

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Some "before" and "after" shots of the "Flip A Card" I once owned that's now in the Silverball Museum.
before:

after:

IMG_8119.JPG 251 KB

IMG_8121.JPG 159 KB

IMG_8127.JPG 216 KB

IMG_8142.JPG 212 KB

IMG_0297-449.JPG 122 KB

IMG_0697.JPG 198 KB

IMG_0714.JPG 151 KB

That's an unusually wide flipper gap 0.0

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballwiz45b:

That's an unusually wide flipper gap 0.0

It must be an illusion. The flipper gap on "Flip A Card" is not anything out of the ordinary such as on "Cross Town" for example. On "FAC", you get a lot of bounce-backs off the card tray, extending the life of many balls in play. Don't ever take your fingers off the buttons on this game!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 32.00
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside