(Topic ID: 109218)

Finally getting a pinhauler!! Best part, it's FREE!

By The_Director

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2952.JPG
    Pin Hauler -Suburban.jpg
    IMG_2932.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

After years of bugging my brother to use his truck, or my buddies to use one of their SUVs, I'll finally be getting my very own vehicle to transport pins. It's a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick, that's definitely seen better days, but runs like a champ on a rebuilt engine with low mileage. My dad bought it in 1997, and hasn't really driven it in about 2 years as he is 96 year old.

Word got around to me that he was thinking of selling his car since he doesn't drive anymore, and I told him and my mom that I'd be interested in buying it if it could fit a pin. Dad told me if I wanted it, it was mine, just have to pay whatever the title transfer was. If it was going to me, I could have it for free. So, last week I went and took some measurements, and with the back seats out, it's fit 53" in length, 34" in height and 35" in width, which pretty much covers any pin with the head down, and being an SUV crossover, it's covered too (my brother's truck is out when it rains). Not to mention it's a 4x4 and has a trailer hitch as well.

So, needless to say, I'm pretty stoked about transferring it over at the end of the week. Will be a great feeling to know that whenever there's a deal on the horizon, I can go pick up ASAP without having to arrange transport!

#2 9 years ago

That's great. Sure is easier with something sitting in your driveway.

#3 9 years ago

Nice! Wish I could say the same. Gets old asking others doesn't it? Anyway happy pickin.

#4 9 years ago

Wicked story. Hope this happens to me someday. Question: how much does the average pin weigh? Do you need to bring a buddy or a dolly to help you move one? As a non-owner, I am obliged to get my fix 'in the wild'...

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from wtuttle:

Wicked story. Hope this happens to me someday. Question: how much does the average pin weigh? Do you need to bring a buddy or a dolly to help you move one? As a non-owner, I am obliged to get my fix 'in the wild'...

Roughly 225-250lbs generally. If you have a dolly, you can move one by yourself if you know how to pack it up properly for dollying. It's a lot easier with someone to help though! Good thing is, 9 times out of 10, the seller is willing to give you a hand to get it in your vehicle if you go solo. With two people, these games aren't too bad a haul at all.

1 week later
    #6 9 years ago

Transferred the title today!

IMG_2932.JPGIMG_2932.JPG
    #7 9 years ago

Congrats on the transport. Getting a pin out of a vehicle by yourself is easier than getting it into the car.

#8 9 years ago

Congrats Matt! For me, transporting pins isn't a problem since I have a pickup. (Weather is a factor though, and takes planning.) Getting them into the house by myself was, until I bought a Harbor Freight lift.
    Anyhoo, glad to hear your pin life just got easier!

#9 9 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised a Sidekick can fit a pin.

#10 9 years ago

T_D ,, when U come by this Sunday afternoon , drive the SuZuki & we'll Kram LIS N the back of it

W/ my Suburban , I can Load & Un-load By myself Thanxx 2 my Pinball dolly .. I sold U 1 Just like it

Pin Hauler -Suburban.jpgPin Hauler -Suburban.jpg
    #11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wow, I'm surprised a Sidekick can fit a pin.

Back seat will be removed, but it'll fit them! I'll post a pic when the first one gets loaded in.

Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

T_D ,, when U come by this Sunday afternoon , drive the SuZuki & we'll Kram LIS N the back of it
    W/ my Suburban , I can Load & Un-load By myself Thanxx 2 my Pinball dolly .. I sold U 1 Just like it

Pin Hauler -Suburban.jpg 37 KB

Yep, I use that pinball dolly literally ALL THE TIME. Probably one of the best purchases I ever made in the hobby. I've had several movers who've picked games up at the end of the driveway, that it's made my life a lot easier for, not to mention all the games that have come in and out of the gameroom with it.

#12 9 years ago

Cleaned out and ready for pin hauling! Took the back seats out and put in the garage and spent several hours cleaning. Dad had a bunch of stuff in there including garbage and food that I don't want to even think about how long it was in there. After we went through everything and did a first pass vacuuming, I took it to a local car wash and tipped the guys $20 to spend a little extra time on it since it was so bad. They did a good job, money talks.

With the seat out, there's 54" of flange from the back seat to the end of the bed. Obviously, the door width and height is very nice as well, it's something like 34" high and 36-37" wide. First pin is already lined up for hauling too! Getting a Who Dunnit at WS auction, looking forward to putting this little SUV to use!

IMG_2952.JPGIMG_2952.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-getting-a-pinhauler-best-part-its-free and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.