New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 107021)

Final word on MMR gold trim?

By dluth

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Having seen MMR in person at Expo, my opinion of the gold trim is:”

• It looks like ass. Please don't try to defend this trim choice, it's awful 50 votes
    66%
  • I think it looks great! Really makes the game pop and feel special. 26 votes
    34%

(76 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mmr_18.JPG
mmr_16.JPG
Expo 332.JPG
Expo 334.JPG
Expo 331.JPG
image-194.jpg
image-246.jpg
image-896.jpg
image-119.jpg

#1 6 years ago

So many conflicting opinions on this - thought a poll of those who have seen it in the flesh might give some idea to anyone still on the fence. The answers come from two Pinsiders and seem representative of opinions out there.
Please don't answer if you haven't seen it live.

#2 6 years ago

Worst of the three IMO

Black
Stainless Steel

Mustard

#3 6 years ago

It definitely looked painted and not plated. That was one of the things I noticed right away.

#4 6 years ago

If you ever had a nice big box of crayons that came with the metallic versions it basically looks like the gold crayon. It's metallic, but it's a flat grainy/sparkly metallic, not a shiny plated chrome look.

If I was picking I'd take the black if I wanted something that wasn't "stock" metal, but I didn't think it looked bad. Just accept that it's a metallic look, not a plate style that's going to have any kind of mirror like finish.

#5 6 years ago

It doesn't look like ass as the poll suggests but it does look like what comes out of a babies ass after eating too many bananas!

I would go black or if you really wanted gold go with stainless and get Chestnut to do it right.

#6 5 years ago

I think BLACK looks the best of the 3 options from PPS because the rest of the hardware is black. But I'm going to agree with teekee on this ultimately the way to go is have it professionally powder coated or plated to yield the best results.

#7 5 years ago

You mean it doesn't look like what was on the flyer when deposits were taken?

#8 5 years ago

switch to black. just my opinion, of course.

#9 5 years ago

Is the one polished stainless/chrome or just std brushed? Dont care for the gold, blacks just ok, chrome or plated gold would be sick.

#10 5 years ago

i went black

#11 5 years ago

Im still in for gold. I saw it at cax, just a leg, and wasn't overly impressed. Definitely not gold as you would expect and more mustard looking. Personally I would expect better from an 8k machine and a companies first machine but its not a deal breaker for me. I figure if it really bothers me someone will make some nice aftermarket legs or I can get it powdercoated somewhere.

#12 5 years ago

BLACK was the best from what I saw.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Im still in for gold. I saw it at cax, just a leg, and wasn't overly impressed. Definitely not gold as you would expect and more mustard looking. Personally I would expect better from an 8k machine and a companies first machine but its not a deal breaker for me. I figure if it really bothers me someone will make some nice aftermarket legs or I can get it powdercoated somewhere.

yep. i think there'll be some cool aftermarket options for gold.
have my eye for them

#14 5 years ago

Guys just get the stainless and I'll do batches of real proper gold trim. Black too. I said it before (and Rick jumped all over me) that the black choice was extremely poor as well.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's metallic, but it's a flat grainy/sparkly metallic, not a shiny plated chrome look.

I hate chrome and I hate ghrome even more, so this type of gold would be tolerable to me. That said I like black the best on almost any game. Black trim and legs look great on most of the old WPC games.

#16 5 years ago

Here are proper gold colors. None of which look like deli mustard. image-896.jpgimage-119.jpgimage-194.jpg

Also if you want to do a 1/4 matte black choose the right color. image-246.jpg

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Here are proper gold colors. None of which look like deli mustard.
Also if you want to do a 1/4 matte black choose the right color.

image-119.jpg 161 KB

image-896.jpg 125 KB

image-246.jpg 130 KB

image-194.jpg 70 KB

2nd pic looks interesting. Seems to have more gloss to them than the pin gold. Maybe it's just the lighting?

#18 5 years ago

I would have thought that second pic was anodized. Anyways they all look great

#19 5 years ago

None of those are dips or anodized. All powder.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Guys just get the stainless and I'll do batches of real proper gold trim. Black too. I said it before (and Rick jumped all over me) that the black choice was extremely poor as well.

The black, for people who feel the need to not have stainless, looked fine at expo.

#21 5 years ago

I seen the three different one's at Expo and was impressed by the over all look of the game with the gold and was glad I stuck with that choice. Stainless is classic but doesn't set the game apart from the others next to it. The black looks like there trying to copy DE/Sega/Stern and is the worst of the three in my opinion. It can always be changed down the road once you get the game.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#22 5 years ago

it's so cool so see how everyone is influenced by the 3 different color choices

i totally dig it.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I seen the three different one's at Expo and was impressed by the over all look of the game with the gold and was glad I stuck with that choice. Stainless is classic but doesn't set the game apart from the others next to it. The black looks like there trying to copy DE/Sega/Stern and is the worst of the three in my opinion. It can always be changed down the road once you get the game.

Hmmmm...I thought you didn't like MM?

#24 5 years ago

I saw all three at Expo, my photos are below.

Black looked the best.
If you have a growing collection of games with colored trim, black will fit in as more modernized.

Second best was the Gold.
It was not as horrible as I imagined. There are many styles of mustard, so I guess it could match one. Definitely not French's though. Gold will also look fine in a row of games with colored trim.

Stainless/silver was my least favorite.
It's very neutral -- nothing special about it, silver seems dated. If you have a row of stainless trimmed games, or you just want the classic look maybe you want to stick with stainless.

Expo 331.JPG

Expo 334.JPG

Expo 332.JPG

#25 5 years ago

Your gold photo is interesting.
Maybe it is just the lighting difference, but here's what the gold looked like in my pix back in March 2014. The pic of the legs looks like it has more light on it.
Wonder if it has been changed some, or just lighting variances?

mmr_16.JPG
mmr_18.JPG

#26 5 years ago

the biggest problem that I had with the gold trim option was that the back box brackets were black (they were black on all three models).

I don't understand why any company, if they are going to offer up the trim in different colors, neglects to paint the back box brackets to match the rest of the trim.

I'm not saying that I'm fond of the color of the gold (as others have stated, it's a rather dull semi-metallic gold, instead of a highly polished gold like you would expect), but the black back box brackets make it look that much worse (in my opinion).

#27 5 years ago

Is that T moulding on the front of the backbox?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Is that T moulding on the front of the backbox?

No T molding. The backbox has a finished edge on the LE's.

Honestly the translite in these pictures looks horrible. Wow! I try not to get caught up in worrying about anything, but man that doesn't look good at all.

#29 5 years ago

Is the speaker panel tilted back a little, like the new sterns?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Is the speaker panel tilted back a little, like the new sterns?

Looks like the original panel to me without the Williams logo of course.

#31 5 years ago

yeah they look normal, but in this pic it looks tilted back a little. Must be the angle of the backbox and pic

https://img-f.pinside.com/201410/1999093/308866.jpg

#32 5 years ago

Sorry. I see what you mean. Maybe just the angle of the picture.

1 month later
#33 5 years ago

Thanks for the response! I just changed from gold to black. I think it will look good next to my TZ when I give it the black powdercoat treatment.

#34 5 years ago

welcome to "club black"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Antonio, TX
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 11.00
$ 11.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 50.00
$ 64.99
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 89.99
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 209.00
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside