Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sunnRAT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Primus has been out a while, but I rarely see or hear any discussion. There's one on route locally and I play it
from time to time. I find it really brutal and it's a bit hard to hear the music, so I rarely put much change into it. I'm a big Primus fan (remember seeing them open for Rush when I was a kid) but I'm not drawn to the game.

It seems like it might have been just a quick item to sell for uber fans and maybe as publicity, but not much as far as staying power. Anyone here put a lot of time in on it and feel differently?

#2 4 years ago

i mean, the verdict on that game has been out since whoa nelly came out. at this point it is what it is... either like it or dont. its really for the primus super fans

#3 4 years ago

I enjoyed hitting the flipper buttons in attarct mode to make the bass sounds more then I did playing the game.

#4 4 years ago

The one we have in Pittsburgh every one just uses as a punching bag of jokes.

#5 4 years ago

Primus sucks!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#6 4 years ago

Primus isn’t bad...I challenge anyone to score 3000 points on one....

2 months later
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i mean, the verdict on that game has been out since whoa nelly came out. at this point it is what it is... either like it or dont. its really for the primus super fans

Agreed and not even for some super fans and pinheads (like me). Saw them open for Rush when I was younger and just saw them at Red Rocks about 2 years ago. I was so excited to hear about a Primus pinball and then equally disappointed when I saw it was a Whoa Nellie retheme. Les puts so much care into his music and his wine company (which has some good wines with great reviews), I just don't get this choice. It's such a slow pin for Primus' music as well.
Signed - Really bummed Primus super fan

#8 4 years ago

Primus got a code update back in January.

1 year later
#9 3 years ago

Anyone play the new code? I'm a huge Primus fan from back in the day. Considering getting this pin to add to my collection. I don't have any EM machines so this would definitely add some variety to my collection.

#10 3 years ago

WNBJM is a better theme, the watermelon crate adds to the game look .

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

WNBJM is a better theme, the watermelon crate adds to the game look .

As much as I like melons, I would have to disagree on which theme is better. I was told the code for WNBJM and PCC will play in the Primus machine. 3 games in one...

#12 3 years ago

If turds could shit it would be that

#13 3 years ago

I like how silly Whoa Nellie is for having the crate and beer cans, but I can't see how someone looks at the art and think they nailed it. The humor is juvenile, it's far more risque than any actual EM, and it seems aimed at guys who like going to breastaurants.

Whereas I look at Primus and think Zombie Yeti nailed it. (Or Pabst with Dirty Donny). And it's not me being a prude. I really like all the Elvira games, which is the same artist and going for an exagerated sexuality sense of humor. I just think think it's a failure to execute on Whoa Nellie

Primus is expensive for what it is compared to other pinball machines. But if you're a Primus fan, this is the only Primus you'll probably ever get.

That said, I would advise buying like five or more really good EMs for the price of one Primus. But I have the space and little funds. Some may have the funds and little space.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

If turds could shit it would be that

I thought that honor went to Thunderbirds?

#15 3 years ago

I like it quite a bit.
The art package is fantastic and goes really well with the music.
Yes it’s no Deadpool, but it’s a nice break from more complex games and is still challenging in its own right.
It’s nice to take a break from more fast paced games and zone out on it for a while.
Old school modern pinball.

#16 3 years ago

I played Primus code on Whoa Nellie recently. Forgot how long some of those songs are. The same song runs throughout a game. It can be a slog to get through even one song in a multiplayer 3-ball game. Helps if you like Primus, which I did 30 years ago, but now absolutely do not.

Voice calls are so bizarrely non-sequitur that they're good in spite of themselves.

#17 3 years ago

I never listened to Primus before playing the pin at Bishop Cidercade in Dallas. I really enjoyed playing it.

The music was all new to me and I felt the music is a great soundtrack to playing pinball. The sound system is pretty incredible from the factory. When Primus and TNA were both “fresh”, I put them in the same “modern throwback” bucket together, sound and experience-wise.

The callouts that I heard were very good. There was one call out that was a little vulgar for my taste. Someone said there is a family mode that can be adjusted in the settings. I’d love to own one someday, but only if the vulgar stuff can be dampened.

I’ve played Nellie, Pabst, and Primus. I think it’s cool that there are multiple themes to the same game. Of the three, Primus would be the one for me to own in the game room.

Most enjoyable is playing an EM style game with smooth playfield, modern artwork, and great music and sound. I tend to enjoy the quicker “easy to learn, hard to do” type games. Primus checks all those boxes, and more.

#18 3 years ago

Really wanted one but that layout is a complete turd.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Really wanted one but that layout is a complete turd.

The skill plunge is really good. Go long and get all of the pop bumpers lit, or go for the short shot for big points.

I like how the lit targets move around down low. Very challenging to keep up with them.

I saw where someone changed the factory flippers to the more modern yellow ones. That is a great upgrade.

#20 3 years ago

It definitely has one of my favorite skill shots.

Layout has more going on than meets the eye. It's not trying to be a modern layout, nor should it be.

I surely didnt grow up with EM machines, but man I sure as hell dig them.

I hope we get more throw back layouts like this, with modern touches. But I'm afraid Stern will give into the hate at some point, which is too bad. I hope I'm wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/final-verdict-of-primus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.