(Topic ID: 103066)

Final Silverman/Morphy's auction tomorrow....who is in?

By 82Trooper

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141207_165023.jpg
    42.jpeg
    20141207_165201.jpg
    IMG_0362.JPG
    MVC-034S.JPG
    paratroopspinball.jpg
    IMGP5067.JPG
    Paratroops720dpi.jpg
    IMGP5138.JPG
    MVC-a029S.JPG
    MVC-a017S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    pin1.jpg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

So, how many Pinsiders are actually going in person? and how many are bidding on-line? Just curious as to the response this auction will get.....

I myself am bidding online on 2 items.

Mike

#2 9 years ago

WOW! 496 pinballs and some top notch woodrails! You guys over there get all the good ones!

http://morphyauctions.hibid.com/catalog/48383/september-13th-2014-pinball-offsite-sale-?tab=0&cpage=1

#3 9 years ago

How does shipping work? It just says to contact the company. I would love to have a couple.

#4 9 years ago

Look closely and use caution if buying these machines without seeing them in person. It is my understanding this load is the "bottom of the barrel" and most are pretty rough. I am still toying with the idea of driving over to take a look in person but it is about a 3 hour round trip for me and I just don't know if it is worth my time.

Anyone hit the preview today? Are these machines as bad as I have been warned they are?

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I am still toying with the idea of driving over to take a look in person but it is about a 3 hour round trip for me and I just don't know if it is worth my time.

If I'm reading correctly, going tomorrow is pointless, because the machines won't be there. If you didn't see them at the preview today, you're screwed:

"The auction will be taking place off-site. If anyone would like to preview the collection, please schedule an appointment in advance by contacting Shaye Krispine at [email protected] or 717-335-4603. "

Then the preview was listed as being in Ephrata, PA, and the location of the auction itself is listed as Morphy in Dover, PA.

I think they're going to flash those lousy photos up on the screen at their auction house and you'll bid based on that.

Am I right, or am I reading that wrong?

#6 9 years ago

So this auction is taking place right now....anyone know how long it will take for the internet bidders to know if they won their item?

#7 9 years ago

I was there thanks through a US friend.
    He got me a nice machine, thanks to him !

#8 9 years ago

GRC Filmed It?!

#9 9 years ago

I don't get it...it is 1:37 minutes long....1:35 of looking at a car hood and about 2 seconds of looking at an empty warehouse?
    What am I missing???

#10 9 years ago

I did end up going to the auction today and I was very impressed with prices on the "better condition" & rare machines. Morphy & David Silverman should be very happy with the results on the "better stuff".

As far as the real junk - about 150 to 200 machines at best guess most were bringing under $50 about 30 or 40 didn't even get a $10 bid, 30 to 50 sold for $10, maybe another 50 to 75 brought $20 or $30, etc. So a good bit of the "junk" sold fairly cheap.

The backglass lots seemed to do very well with most lots bringing north of $100 and some up to near $200. The lot of playfields went for $375 (if I remember correctly) and the box of legs & stuff around $200.

I didn't get a chance to write a lot of the prices down but I would say 75 to 90% of the better machines brought decent money to crazy money. One example of a "crazy price" was a Williams Space Odyssey with hammer price of $800 plus $160 buyers premium ( total $960 + tax) - I sold a nicer one last year for $550 shopped & fully working.

For you SS guys the only SS machine -Jurassic Park with issues - went for $1300 plus 20% buyers premium (so no bargain on that either).

I'll try to post a few of the prices I had written down tomorrow if someone else doesn't get to it first but overall I think sale went well considering what was there. It was held about 5 miles from Morphy's Auction House in a warehouse and all machines were on site (at that location). There was live on line bidding, phone bidding and in house bidding.

Fast pace auction with all 500 lots sold in about 4 hours. Morphy did a good job for Silverman but advertising of auction was a bit confusing to say the least. As far as the sale itself, loading after the sale, etc - everything was handled well. And they even brought in about 15 pizzas & soda for free lunch for everyone in the crowd.

As expected in house crowd was fairly small - maybe 50 or so people and only about 25 serious bidders. But online bidding drove prices up on most of the "better stuff".

Hope this answers some of the questions some of you might have about the sale.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from 82Trooper:

What am I missing???

The real vid is currently uploading. Took awhile to render an hour of walk-thru. Should be live sometime tonight. Sorry about the teaser.

#12 9 years ago

Anyone know what lot #284, the 1949 Bally Hot Rods went for?

Thanks
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#13 9 years ago

I was there too. It was really something to see all those pins in one place, Met a couple pinsiders there and had lots of nice chats. Bought way to much and don't know why I did, but got some fairly nice deals. Ended up with 16 pins and 3 lots of backglasses, my buddy bought 24 pins, we both bought several for only $10.00 !! Now for the fun part getting them home, glad I drive past there everyday on the way to work!

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from 80spit:

I was there too. It was really something to see all those pins in one place, Met a couple pinsiders there and had lots of nice chats. Bought way to much and don't know why I did, but got some fairly nice deals. Ended up with 16 pins and 3 lots of backglasses, my buddy bought 24 pins, we both bought several for only $10.00 !! Now for the fun part getting them home, glad I drive past there everyday on the way to work!

Where do you put 16 more pins ???
    So you were the guy buying all the $10 pins....................LOL.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from JKnPA:

Where do you put 16 more pins ???
    So you were the guy buying all the $10 pins....................LOL.

There sure were a bunch of those, I only got 3 of them at $10 but my buddy got a bunch, 24 pins and the most expensive one he bought was $90.00, I thought some of them were actually not to bad. I am going to store mine at work, until I get around to working on them.

#16 9 years ago

Was there and scored four decent woodrails, a backglass lot with a mint repro "Diamond Jack" glass in it (the others were junk), and a lot of 7 heads, 6 of which I don't want or need, but wanted the Gottlieb "Joker" head for the internal parts. The pace was very fast, almost impossible to keep up with at times if you're not an auction veteran. Some crazy deals and some surprisingly high ones as well like on the "Space Odyssey". Really wanted the Williams "Cue Ball", but it was kind of rough for what it went for. Missed out on "Roto Pool", "Majorettes", three "Classy Bowler"s and a couple of "Ace High"s. Saw some really cool oddball games. Lots of early Genco, Chicago Coin, Exhibit, United, etc. The art on some of those old games is really gorgeous. I'm glad most everything found a home. I don't know who some of the online bidders were, but likely major collectors or possibly the PPM or Silverball Museum. There was lots of junk, but overall it was fun and I'm glad I went and score some deals.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Anyone know what lot #284, the 1949 Bally Hot Rods went for?
    Thanks
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

It went for $425.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

It went for $425.

WOW, thanks for letting me know. A bit higher then I expected for a non flipper game but it is kinda cool and fits the theme very well.

Yeah the auction only lasted four hours?...yikes. Thats one lot every 30 seconds or less. Now thats moving right along.

Wish I could have been there.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from 80spit:

my buddy got a bunch, 24 pins and the most expensive one he bought was $90.00,

Who said pinball was an expensive hobby?
    I wish there were auctions like that near my home!

#20 9 years ago

Many of the inexpensive games were pretty rough. I was thinking of our very own Steve Fury and all the work he put into that old "Singapore" game a while back. There was one with a excellent playfield which sold for $50. There was another one that didn't sell, but the playfield was not as good. Of course it was labor of love for Steve and he is to be commended.

#21 9 years ago

Anyone out there bid online and WIN? I had "pre-bid" on an item. I watched this particular live on line, as well. My max bid was $200. The live bid showed the final bid was ("the floor bids") $175. I think I won, and if I did, I am pretty excited.

How do I know that I actually won? I have not received anything confirming it from the auction house? Will the send an e-mail or something? The website does not seem to explain the process/notification "after" the auction. If anyone can help me understand their process, it would be appreciated.
    Also, my credit card was not yet billed, either.

Thanks.
    Mike

#22 9 years ago

I went to the auction and it was a great experience. Was able to get in at 7:30am and look over each of the games prior to the 9am start. Morphys had printed out an auction sale guide with a small picture of each game and a description which made it really handy. i want able to take my bid list and write down under each lot my max to bid and then follow the auction.

Things moved fast. They would put a picture of the game up on a big TV and if there was an internet bid they would open at $25 over that price. If there were no bids yet - they would try and open at $50. As others posted many of the project games opened and sold for $10. Many had to take a pass - as no one at the auction on the floor wanted to bid.

I bought 6 games. I bought the Majorettes that had a beautiful playfield and cabinet and will clean up really nice.

The preware pin bidding really moved quick, One collector wanted them and he was going to have them. I bid on one I would have really liked to have bought but I bowed out when the price plus fees was going to reach $900 for a prewar pin and others took it on from there.

The only game that I wish I had bid on was the 1953 Williams Army Navy. I really liked the look of that game and it slipped past my bidding early on. Forgot to write down what it went for. All in all it was a good time.

Valentin: Glad to have been able to be there for you.

#23 9 years ago

Here's the video. It's long & potentially boring? There were so MANY pins there that it limited time to devote to each severely. Nice event with great hosts & folks! Glad we attended. Didn't buy anything... Left $100 with Ron (who actually was contracted to identify & write the catalog of items) to "make a good buy." He chose to not spend our $100 & only bought one machine for himself. Score on his part a terrific condition 1931 Automatic Industries Whiffle which he says is the first coin-op pinball machine? Congrats Ron!

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from TwoChaniz:

Here's the video. It's long & potentially boring? There were so MANY pins there that it limited time to devote to each severely. Nice event with great hosts & folks! Glad we attended. Didn't buy anything... Left $100 with Ron (who actually was contracted to identify & write the catalog of items) to "make a good buy." He chose to not spend our $100 & only bought one machine for himself. Score on his part a terrific condition 1931 Automatic Industries Whiffle which he says is the first coin-op pinball machine? Congrats Ron!
    » YouTube video

To remain positive I will have to agree with you. Probably long and boring.

#25 9 years ago

Got my load out today, here's what it looked, like, have them all nicely tucked away at work!
    pins1.jpgpins1.jpg
    pins2.jpgpins2.jpg

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from 80spit:

Got my load out today, here's what it looked, like, have them all nicely tucked away at work!
    ****** My doctor said I have a 'pinball addiction'...... but I think he is Crazy !.......... LOL.
    Nice........... thanks for the picture.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from 80spit:

You know.... you're not exactly 'helping' my addiction, posting pictures like this. Ha!

pins1.jpg 271 KB

pins2.jpg 317 KB

#28 9 years ago

Hey...just to update (anyone who cares!!)....I did win 2 items wth my internet pre-bids.....I am driving out from Pittsburgh tomorrow to pick them up.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from 82Trooper:

Hey...just to update (anyone who cares!!)....I did win 2 items wth my internet pre-bids.....I am driving out from Pittsburgh tomorrow to pick them up.

*** Congrats *** Glad you got pinballs!

#30 9 years ago

Can you give us an idea what some of the nicer woodrails went for? And what about that Heat Wave?

#32 9 years ago

I believe so. I'm thinking lots of this stuff will surface at the York show too.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The turnaround from the auction is starting already?
    ebay.com link » Automatic Industries 1931 Whiffle Board Antique Coin Op Pinball Machine

I don't know what it sold for, but it was valued at between $600-800.
    Evidently they got it back to the shop and just wiped off the Dust !

#34 9 years ago

I was actually second high bidder on it, It was really beautiful, Looked like a piece of furniture, I believe I bid I up to around $675. and I think it sold for $700.00 but I stand corrected. It was the only pinball related item my wife would
    have allowed in the living room!!

#36 9 years ago

Whew! Some of those prices look more like a fire sale than an auction.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from TwoChaniz:

» YouTube video

Thanks for taking the time to video all the games shown and posting this. As I had to rely on the Morphy's online photos for basing bids on, I wish that I had been able to view your video prior to the auction!

A few general comments about the auction:

1. Rather than being junk overall as a number of others have stated, I think that many of the games look to be in relatively good condition and will be fine candidates for restoration. I wish that I had been able to bid on more than I did as the final prices were a relative bargain for numerous Gottlieb woodrails.

2. If you're planning to bid, but can't attend the auction, DO NOT rely on using Morphy's online bidding software on a mobile device. Despite an assurance from Morphy's staff to the contrary prior to the auction, it did not work on my smart phone and this was confirmed on the day of the auction by a different staff person.

3. Interestingly, I noticed a few games in the video (such as Target Alpha and Vagabond) that weren't included in the catalog as part of the Silverman collection.

- Tim

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

3. Interestingly, I noticed a few games in the video (such as Target Alpha and Vagabond) that weren't included in the catalog as part of the Silverman collection.
    - Tim

Those were in the back row and marked sold, They were actually from the last auction several weeks earlier and were being stored there until the completion of this auction, probably all owned by one buyer

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The turnaround from the auction is starting already?
    ebay.com link » Automatic Industries 1931 Whiffle Board Antique Coin Op Pinball Machine

$US2795 and they post one photo-extraordinary!!

It is sad to see so many machines go for such a small amount, which borders them on being worthless, but they are anything but and lets hope that many of these machines will again rise to stardom!

#40 9 years ago

I picked up the rest of my haul today, and also rescued an old pre-flipper Gottlieb that was destined for the dumpster. Unfortunately, I won't do anything with it except use some of it's parts. "80spit" rescued a "Singapore" that would have also met the same fate. Only a few games "passed" that are still there, and honestly they are no more than trash as sad as it is to say.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I picked up the rest of my haul today, and also rescued an old pre-flipper Gottlieb that was destined for the dumpster. Unfortunately, I won't do anything with it except use some of it's parts. "80spit" rescued a "Singapore" that would have also met the same fate. Only a few games "passed" that are still there, and honestly they are no more than trash as sad as it is to say.

Actually I think jrpinball almost wanted to pay the guy for me just to save that Singapore. It actually had a great playfield, but no backglass, anyone that might have one, I'm interested, If I can't find one, I'll probably part it out, or make a nice coffee table out of it. It was tough to leave that place for the last time today, I don't think I'll ever experience something like it again.

#42 9 years ago

Did anyone happen to score a gottlieb parts machine with the late 40s projection credit unit in it. I'm looking for one for my Cinderella

Thanks,
    Jeff

#43 9 years ago

I just went through the list of prices realized and did some quick math for anyone interested. It looks like the gross sales for the auction was just over $80,000 (including buyers premium) or an average selling price of about $163 per lot.

There were 16 lots with no bid, 53 lots brought $12, 59 lots @ $24, 36 lots @ $36, and 32 lots @ $48 (so about 200 lots went for under $50). So overall there were a lot of "cheap machines" as expected.

Of the highest price lots only about a dozen went over auction estimate.

There were a good many nice machines at the auction but the majority of the machines were missing backglasses or had other major issues so that should be taken into account for anyone looking at these figures. Only 4 machines went for over $1000 and only 33 machines went for over $500.

I don't know if we can learn anything from this auction but I do know it was a shame to see so many machines that had just been stored away for years when they could have been in the hands of people who might have done something with them. On the other hand I am sure David Silverman "saved" a good many of these machines from the landfill over the years also.

It is sad to see one mans dream die but life moves on. Hopefully a good many of the machines sold will be brought back to life. I guess only time will tell.

I am glad I went but it was very upsetting thinking about how many of these machines will not live on after this auction.

#44 9 years ago

Thks for the outcome info too-many-pins and for your very spot on observations.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Did anyone happen to score a gottlieb parts machine with the late 40s projection credit unit in it. I'm looking for one for my Cinderella
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Would it be like a big Brass wheel maybe 8" in diameter with small numbers punched out and has a bulb behind it? When I was unloading my buddies pins, I noticed one with the wheel and was intrigued by it, Don't know if its a keeper for him or not, but I can check. I know he probably would sell the whole pin, not parts but I can ask

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from 80spit:

Actually I think jrpinball almost wanted to pay the guy for me just to save that Singapore. .

Nah. As I recall, you suggested that I pay the guy, but I said, "let's not get crazy here!"
    BTW- He hosed me on the hardware for my games. He forgot to give me the leg and head bolts. Oh well.

#47 9 years ago

I also drove out yesterday and picked up my 2 games. I am satisfied with my purchases...both are rough but primarily intended to be parts donors....but one has a decent backglass that may end up on display.
    regardless of the prices, I personally view this auction as a "win" for the pinball community. Having 500 or so games hoarded in a warehouse does no one any good. Getting them sold, and cheaply, will put several back in action (hopefully) and the others will become parts to get other machines running. I am sure several backglasses will end up on dsplay. I think that is a "win" for us all.

In my case, I bought a 1943 Genco conversion game called "Paratroops". (I was a paratrooper 30 years and 40 pounds ago!!). I originally bought the same game a few years ago, and have been working through getting it running, with minimal success. It was hacked, wires cut, and alot of guesswork has gone into trying to get it running without a schematic. At this auction, I bought another identical game, missing the backglass (my original game has one). My plan is to put the games side by side, and hopefull get one good running machine out of it. I consider this a win as I have "NEVER" seen another "Paratroops" out there. I got a pile of good parts if needed, and a great reference.

I hope other Pinsiders have the same plan, and put these games, or parts, into use. I also had a 10 hour roundtrip road trip with my dad to get the games. We had some quality bonding time on the PA Turnpike! I got some cool photos of the warehouse filled with vintage pins, and got to participate in a cool auction...the likes of which may never be seen again by this community. I also had the chance to meet my first fellow Pinsider in person (jrpinball).
    Mike

#48 9 years ago

Glad you had a Nice trip.
    I will be making a roadtrip on saturday.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from JKnPA:

Glad you had a Nice trip.
    I will be making a roadtrip on saturday.

I always get confused between "Pottsville" and "Pottstown". Pottstown is close to where the auction was. You're in Pottsville, the land of Yuengling! That stuff must flow down the streets up there, no? I gotta get there soon and do the brewery tour. Really love the stuff, but in CANS only! It really is much, much better in cans, particularly the "Lord Chesterfield Ale".

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

BTW- He hosed me on the hardware for my games. He forgot to give me the leg and head bolts. Oh well.

Not so. He stretch wrapped the legs, and the hardware was wrapped up with them. The guys there were very helpful and I'll bet they're counting down the games until they're finally rid of them all. I don't think Morphy Auction could have been very pleased with this last bunch of games. It was a lot of work for them I'm sure, and I don't think they made a whole lot of money on the last batch.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/final-silvermanmorphys-auction-tomorrowwho-is-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.