• (2) Medieval Madness VS 269 votes
    24%
  • (3) Attack From Mars 275 votes
    25%
  • (5) Jurassic Park (Stern) VS 278 votes
    25%
  • (8) Lord of the Rings 283 votes
    26%

(Multiple choice - 1105 votes by 637 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

053D3B04-4402-441E-A496-12247718A9B0 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20200417_190647.jpg
C4C877AE-8FC7-4D07-9A56-0AA36CE242E4 (resized).png
image-14 (resized).jpg
If there is a tie.JPG
Screenshot_20200416-134034~2 (resized).png
100_0044 (resized).JPG
12F61295-777A-4472-8D90-B1A03CE9DB71 (resized).jpeg
48A564A9-B90C-40AE-886A-B4C1576FDC2A (resized).jpeg
Sweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG
Record by Era.JPG
Record by Company.JPG
Round 4 Results.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago

JP vs LOTR is a tough one but I give the edge to LOTR due to having far more licensed assets including actor audio from all 3 films plus custom callouts from 2 of the films actors. Meanwhile JP callouts from non movie actors are just middle of the road.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

They built an entire new storyline to get around the lack of assets, and created a killer ruleset to go with it. I'll take gameplay over assets any day. LOTR also has great rules but the playfield is weak. Weak assets... weak playfield.. gameplay is most important, playfield wins.

LOTR playfield weak? Have to disagree there. LOTR has a rather fast and unique playfield design. Also, LOTR has two shots (really 3) that are hidden shots that are controlled by mechs. Those 3 shots are the the balrog moving to reveal the ramp, the divertor that reveals a shot to the Path of the Dead VUK, and the ring magnet that creates a shot during Destroy the Ring. Having mechs that reveal a hidden shot is always a big plus for a game in my opinion.

Also, a vast majority of the callouts in JP are just average due to limited assets and no custom callouts by an actor from the film. Stern created a new story but they also used existing characters in it from the first film and then used outside voice actors to rather poorly replicate the films actors. Stern got not one but two of the actual actors from the Lord of the Films to provide custom callouts. It's a shame Stern couldn't have hired at least Wayne Knight for custom callouts. With that being said JP is an excellent pin, I just don't think as an entire package it's as good as LOTR

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

It's like a battle between the old king of pinball-adventure-feel (LotR) vs. the new king of pinball-adventure-feel (JP). Other games are about adventures, those two send you on adventures....

I think that right there is why I need to get a JP premium. I'm always searching for pins that offers a LOTR style ruleset, not many pins have successfully pulled it off as well since LOTR was released.

Quoted from AFM95:

I haven't looked at this thread all morning - Jurassic Park is now ahead by four votes? Wow, that escalated quickly.

Calling up my cousin who has owned LOTR for 10+ years with 6,000+ games on it to vote for LOTR lol.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

After this battle is done, lets see a battle of the worst games in the last ten years.
Here's the bottom 20 from pinside.
Thunderturds
Rolling stones
WWE pro
Whoa Nellie
Avengers
Stranger things pro
Buck hunter
Full Throttle
America's Most Huanted
Mustang
Lexy
Transformers
Munsters pro
Rob Zombie
Star Wars pro
Kiss Pro
Game of thrones pro
Bride 2.0
Beatles Gold

"Navi Ball!" Ugh

#264 4 years ago

Another thing that's pretty cool about LOTR is the Gift of the Elves feature for beating modes. A vast majority of pins don't have a reward system for beating modes (or its just something rather dull like a medal) beyond wizard mode progression. The Gift of the Elves feature is a cool hook that keeps players coming back as it creates a game within a game, just like the games layered multiballs and wizard modes. The layering and multiple stages in modes combined with great choreography is something that rarely exists in other games.

#297 4 years ago

For those that have played a good amount of JP and LOTR does JP offer similar objective based main modes, layered multiballs and wizard modes or is the game more points focused versus being on a journey? I'm curious as I've been considering picking up a JP Premium but haven't played a lot of games on it. In LOTR there are the 6 or so main modes that use the entire playfield well, the 3 movie multiballs that each have various the stages, there's a reward system for beating modes (Gift of the Elves), and of course multiple layered wizard modes. I've read that JP has multiple wizard modes which is great to hear.

Thanks!

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s more of a choose your own adventure for the main modes. They are similar in the objectives but varied in that the requirements change for each Dino you’re going after. After each captured Dino it gives you an advantage for the rest of the game. Then there’s all the Trex modes, control room modes, side quests for dna combos, fossils, etc. and probably 2-3 wizard modes you’ll never see. Haha

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 7.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/final-four-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.