• (2) Medieval Madness VS 269 votes
    24%
  • (3) Attack From Mars 275 votes
    25%
  • (5) Jurassic Park (Stern) VS 278 votes
    25%
  • (8) Lord of the Rings 283 votes
    26%

(Multiple choice - 1105 votes by 637 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

053D3B04-4402-441E-A496-12247718A9B0 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20200417_190647.jpg
C4C877AE-8FC7-4D07-9A56-0AA36CE242E4 (resized).png
image-14 (resized).jpg
If there is a tie.JPG
Screenshot_20200416-134034~2 (resized).png
100_0044 (resized).JPG
12F61295-777A-4472-8D90-B1A03CE9DB71 (resized).jpeg
48A564A9-B90C-40AE-886A-B4C1576FDC2A (resized).jpeg
Sweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG
Record by Era.JPG
Record by Company.JPG
Round 4 Results.JPG

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 3 years ago

**Voting has closed. The Finals vote can be found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-finals-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition

It's Final Four time. LOTR pulled an upset, beating the #1 overall seed, PoTC. Twilight Zone came so close, allowing Medieval Madness to survive. Attack From Mars showed consistency once again. Last but not least, Jurassic Park continues eating its competition for breakfast.

Voting will end at 10pm EST/7pm PST on Friday night. Stats, results, and bracket are below.

For those of you who missed how this started, or are not familiar with the rules, please see this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition#post-5573218

Statistics:

1. 520 Pinsiders voted a total of 1822 times. That's a total of 3.5 votes per person (4 matchups). Thank you to everyone who voted.

2. Biggest upset, was #8 Lord of the Rings over #1 Pirates of the Caribbean.

3. #5 Jurassic Park (Stern) not only upset #4 Monster Bash, but they did it be the biggest margin in the round - 58% to 42%.

4. Records by Pinball Company (Winning Percentage): (See screenshot below)

5. Records by Era (Winning Percentage): (See screenshot below)
Round 5 Matchups.JPGRound 5 Matchups.JPGRound 4 Results.JPGRound 4 Results.JPGRecord by Company.JPGRecord by Company.JPGRecord by Era.JPGRecord by Era.JPG
Sweet Sixteen Bracket.JPGSweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG

#2 3 years ago

Come on JP!!

And this is coming from someone who owned LOTR for EIGHT YEARS!

#3 3 years ago

That's the thing though, LoTR has longevity in its favor. It has stood the test of time. Maybe JP will too, but it hasn't proved it.

They were neck-and-neck for a while there, but LoTR is starting to pull ahead now. I think I'll leave this thread open and keep an eye on the race.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

That's the thing though, LoTR has longevity in its favor. It has stood the test of time. Maybe JP will too, but it hasn't proved it.
They were neck-and-neck for a while there, but LoTR is starting to pull ahead now. I think I'll leave this thread open and keep an eye on the race.

I owned it for eight, but really should have moved it on after four. It's a sweet pin for sure...but the ball times where killing me. Horrible multiplayer machine. My Dad and Brother absolutely refused to play it with me. It taught me that I tend to prefer games that are fast and furious.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I owned it for eight, but really should have moved it on after four. It's a sweet pin for sure...but the ball times where killing me. Horrible multiplayer machine. My Dad and Brother absolutely refused to play it with me. It taught me that I tend to prefer games that are fast and furious.

I love the journey. It's an incredible game, deserving of all the accolades.

#6 3 years ago

So what is the best williams challenger versus the best stern challenger?
Time to vote

#7 3 years ago

Tough to vote. I'm not a huge fan of any of them. I could stomach LOTR I suppose. It'll prob be MM though... Sigh...

#8 3 years ago

I would like AFM v LotR in the final.

#9 3 years ago

I think MM and JP make it through ....another huge battle for MM though, and LOTR has been crazy consistent as well.

The winning by manufacturer % is getting further wacked though, as they eat each other, causing the winners to actually be penalized.

#10 3 years ago

JP vs LOTR is a tough one but I give the edge to LOTR due to having far more licensed assets including actor audio from all 3 films plus custom callouts from 2 of the films actors. Meanwhile JP callouts from non movie actors are just middle of the road.

#11 3 years ago

AFM should beat MM.
Saving the world from aliens beats storming castles any day.

I haven’t played enough JP to know if it’s better than LOTR. LOTR is great and I like JP so far, but I don’t have enough games on it to make that call.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think MM and JP make it through ....another huge battle for MM though, and LOTR has been crazy consistent as well.
The winning by manufacturer % is getting further wacked though, as they eat each other, causing the winners to actually be penalized.

MK6PIN - you really are going to make me do non-cannibalism stats, aren't you?

Fact - 2019 NCAA tournament; Big Ten teams Minnesota and Michigan State played each other in the Round of 32. They counted both the win and loss of that game into the Big Ten's overall record inthe tournament.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

mk6pin - you really are going to make me do non-cannibalism stats, aren't you?
Fact - 2019 NCAA tournament; Big Ten teams Minnesota and Michigan State played each other in the Round of 32. They counted both the win and loss of that game into the Big Ten's overall record inthe tournament.

Nah...just playing...

You are correct, but it was considered in the tournament as a whole, not by round, so the # of rounds are just as important (?).

Symantecs.... I'm still recovering from the battle last night....

#14 3 years ago

I've been bored of the rings since 1970! Hope U all had fun!!

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I've been bored of the rings since 1970! Hope U all had fun!!

If Medevial loses to Attack, I will then always wonder, how would Twilight held up against Attack in the final four.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

If Medevial loses to Attack, I will then always wonder, how would Twilight held up against Attack in the final four.

You could start a new thread by asking - AFM or TZ?

#17 3 years ago

It really depends how you vote. In a lineup AFM is more easily replaced by some other really good fan layouts. TZ is more unique, however if you give me only one game it's probably going to be AFM.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

You could start a new thread by asking - AFM or TZ?

I could, but someone will say "I would take JJP Pirates over both of those overrated pieces." Followed by 175 posts taking shots back and forth about every pinball but TZ and MM.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I love the journey. It's an incredible game, deserving of all the accolades.

I actually agree with you. It is deserving, and I get why it's so beloved. It's just, for me, JP is more "fun".

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It really depends how you vote. In a lineup AFM is more easily replaced by some other really good fan layouts. TZ is more unique, however if you give me only one game it's probably going to be AFM.

I think you're right with your thought process. All of these games have unique features that make them great for different reasons.

I would choose AFM, because the theme, simple layout, and bash toy. It appeals to most of my friends and family; whom are all novices in pinball. They don't care if a game is deep - they just love simplicity and fun.

#21 3 years ago

LOTR never lets me down! And it won’t this time either! 17 years strong!

My Pinside ratings: https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/ratings

And my LoTR review:

“I tried to be objective. I rated the sound poor. Sound quality stinks on the game. But after that, it's ALL GOOD baby. Or actually, mostly excellent. Unbelievable integration of theme and rules, amazing music. This pin takes you on a journey like no other....sometimes epic. It can be so fun and addictive. It's almost the perfect game. Great toys and satisfying shots. You can't ask for more. It's a masterpiece.“

I’ll add that when you can keep a notoriously long ball time game in a small collection FOR YEARS, which I did and many others have, it really says something about the game.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I think you're right with your thought process. All of these games have unique features that make them great for different reasons.
I would choose AFM, because the theme, simple layout, and bash toy. It appeals to most of my friends and family; whom are all novices in pinball. They don't care if a game is deep - they just love simplicity and fun.

Funny, while I am a fan of all of them, out of MM, MB, and AFM...I think AFM is the worst of the three. The layouts/rules are similar, but MM and MB have better toys, and the "bouncing" ship and aliens of AFM are kind of annoying (not to mention the seizure-inducing spaceship flashing).

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

...(not to mention the seizure-inducing spaceship flashing).

That's AFMR

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’ll add that when you can keep a notoriously long ball time game in a small collection FOR YEARS, which I did and many others have, it really says something about the game.

I've never understood the whole "long ball times" suck idea.
Is it that people only want to play a 2-minute game? Is it that long ball times feel too easy?
If you want short ball times, just don't press the flipper buttons...problem solved.

While I love my EBD, I do get annoyed by its tendency towards auto-drain balls. Which is why I have it set for 5-ball play...figuring I will at least get 2 or 3 balls that I actually get to hit.

Furthermore, I guess that I am in the minority when it comes to keeping games. I would never buy a game that I wasn't planning on keeping for many years. I've had my WH20 for over 20 years, and my EBD for over 35. I just got the MBr, but suspect that I'll be keeping it until I die.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's AFMR

AFM has the same ship (I'm not talking about the topper).
I've actually only played a handful of games on AFMr.

#26 3 years ago

Who has all four of these games currently in their lineup?

First off, you're ballin'.

Secondly, which of the four is the best game in your opinion?

#27 3 years ago

I'd take my TZ, over these great "final 4 pins".

Fun to watch / vote.

#28 3 years ago

I’ll be curious to see if this tournament yields the correct result.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I had 3 of the 4, LOTR never interested me, played it a few times on location. Just sold my MMr a few weeks ago, too easy. AFM all the way, JP Prem is good but not sure if it's a long term keeper or not.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

AFM has the same ship...

Not really, much worse on the remake. Never heard the OG was too bright.

#31 3 years ago

NOTA

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I've been bored of the rings since 1970!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#33 3 years ago

Mid week, mid afternoon bump.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphod:

[quoted image]

I just watched the Tolkien movie that came out recently. It’s about him as a young man, at Oxford and in WW1 and all that influenced his writing. I found it excellent.

#35 3 years ago

The University of Marquette in Milwaukee owns the original Tolkien manuscripts from the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. They do free showings about once a month if anyone is interested. You can't take pictures, but it's really a great chance to get up close to his works and learn about his writing style. I attended a showing a few months back followed by some time well spent at Up/Down barcade.

https://www.marquette.edu/library/archives/jrrtshowings.php

#36 3 years ago

Not sure how AF and TZ didn’t make the final four list. They are 1 and 2 on mine........

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Not sure how AF and TZ didn’t make the final four list. They are 1 and 2 on mine........

because people who have a different opinion than you voted for the other games

#38 3 years ago

TAF and TZ?...I'm still wondering how Oribitor 1 got knocked out.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

It’s shameful really.

#40 3 years ago

Battle of the tourney - TZ vs. MM

Seems T-Rex is getting slayed currently

MM still bearing scars from yesterday, but seems to be recovering.....will shall see...

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

It’s shameful really.

Should be happy 3 W/B got in with all the new machine slurping that goes on around here

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

new machine slurping that goes on around here

Yep. A lot of slurping n’ pumpin.

48A564A9-B90C-40AE-886A-B4C1576FDC2A (resized).jpeg48A564A9-B90C-40AE-886A-B4C1576FDC2A (resized).jpeg
#43 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I do. Medieval Madness is my favorite. But damn, attack from Mars is great and I love lord of the rings. All 3 awesome. I’ve only had JP a couple weeks now, but play it a lot. It’s a great layout and the Dino grabbing the ball is best toy of the 4. Still love me some MM

#44 3 years ago

48 hours until voting closes.

AFM over MM by a slim margin; LOTR is currently taming Jurassic Park.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Because they aren’t 1 and 2 on other people’s.

#46 3 years ago

There is no way lotr is better than jp, I am no stern fan but jurassic park is an incredible game

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

There is no way lotr is better than jp, I am no stern fan but jurassic park is an incredible game

Yes, there is a way. Feel free to debate.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

48 hours until voting closes.
AFM over MM by a slim margin; LOTR is currently taming Jurassic Park.

As soon as I say something, everyone votes for MM and JP over the next 30 minutes.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Yes but folks love Froto, the history runs deep!

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I would say there are multiple games u could easily argue are better than JP.....MMRLE, AFMRLE, TZ, LOTR, IJ, and without a doubt POTC LE..... but happy you love your JP

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/final-four-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition?hl=stuliss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.