• (2) Medieval Madness VS 269 votes
    24%
  • (3) Attack From Mars 275 votes
    25%
  • (5) Jurassic Park (Stern) VS 278 votes
    25%
  • (8) Lord of the Rings 283 votes
    26%

(Multiple choice - 1105 votes by 637 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

053D3B04-4402-441E-A496-12247718A9B0 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20200417_190647.jpg
C4C877AE-8FC7-4D07-9A56-0AA36CE242E4 (resized).png
image-14 (resized).jpg
If there is a tie.JPG
Screenshot_20200416-134034~2 (resized).png
100_0044 (resized).JPG
12F61295-777A-4472-8D90-B1A03CE9DB71 (resized).jpeg
48A564A9-B90C-40AE-886A-B4C1576FDC2A (resized).jpeg
Sweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG
Record by Era.JPG
Record by Company.JPG
Round 4 Results.JPG
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Voting is now over .

I missed it!!! (was playing X-Men Magneto).....wow!!! really didn't expect LOTR to beat JP, however many love it.

Think I will move to my AFMr now to play tonight....(it is such a fun game!!).

Suspect the final will be close as well...congrats to the winners!!!

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I tried to vote but the system locked me out.
This is an outrage - recount - revote!!

You only had three days to do so.

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

was playing X-Men Magneto

I think I'd rather play that one.

#254 4 years ago

Okay guys - a handful of announcements...

1. Several Pinsiders mentioned they would like to have a 3rd place voting thread - you got it. Give me a few minutes to start it.

2. I will get the finals thread up as soon as possible. I will have it up no later than 10am EST/7am PST. It could be even up tonight.

3. Voting is going to be hidden until voting closes Monday night. Just in case there is a blowout, we want to make sure we keep the last round suspenseful.

4. Voting will end Monday night at 10pm EST/7pm PST (cpr9999 - don't forget to vote!)

5. Thanks to everyone who has favorite(d), followed, voted, commented over the last couple of weeks. This has been fun.

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think I'd rather play that one.

Game is stupid fun...whole machine shakes when magneto starts spinning the balls before releasing..then slings them everywhere..doesn't get more interactive than that. Insane....

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

1. Several Pinsiders mentioned they would like to have a 3rd place voting thread - you got it. Give me a few minutes to start it.
2. I will get the finals thread up as soon as possible. I will have it up no later than 10am EST/7am PST. It could be even up tonight.
3. Voting is going to be hidden until voting closes Monday night. Just in case there is a blowout, we want to make sure we keep the last round suspenseful.
4. Voting will end Monday night at 10pm EST/7pm PST (cpr9999 - don't forget to vote!)
5. Thanks to everyone who has favorite(d), followed, voted, commented over the last couple of weeks. This has been fun.

Appreciate you doing it!!! Outcome not how I expected, but in my case, that's the normal....

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Smart....I'm expecting a pretty big blow out

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Game is stupid fun...

I know. NimblePin had one. Kinda stupid fun that I like. But he could also make an Avengers play good enough to want one.

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

A shame no pre-dmd pins made it very far. One could argue that pins such as Centaur, Space Shuttle and Taxi were the best pins ever. Pure pinball, highly replayable and oozing with charm. Not surprised though. Not a single one in the Pinside Top 40.

People get caught up on the new, shiny, and ones loaded with toys...but there are other incredible pins out there.

I love pins from all eras (as my collection shows). It's very hard to compare pins from different time periods, however. They are just so different.
I try to think of them in eras.

-EMs (and you can divide them even further into wood rails, small flipper, and large flipper)
-Early SS
-Late SS
-early dmd
-late dmd
-lcd

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Looking at the bracket seems like lotr had the easier matchups in the early rounds. It probably would of been eliminated already if it was in any of the other 3

Man, I don't know what it was up against leading to this point, but LOTR is AMAZING. I get not everyone likes long ball times, but I love me a big long story driven pinball machine. And the theme? Classic. I will say, to beat JP2, that says a lot.

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Just having fun

I voted! 1 of my 2 made it in the final round. Looking forward to next round.

#262 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I think your exactly right....they are all good games....its just a matter how many pinsiders own what machine and whats their flavor of the day.

I don't own any of the top 4, and I have strong feelings towards them all. It isn't always about what you own..... but it clearly helps

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know. NimblePin had one. Kinda stupid fun that I like.

Agreed....never seem to get crazy high scores, but don't really care....just makes me smile when I play it.....

#264 4 years ago

Another thing that's pretty cool about LOTR is the Gift of the Elves feature for beating modes. A vast majority of pins don't have a reward system for beating modes (or its just something rather dull like a medal) beyond wizard mode progression. The Gift of the Elves feature is a cool hook that keeps players coming back as it creates a game within a game, just like the games layered multiballs and wizard modes. The layering and multiple stages in modes combined with great choreography is something that rarely exists in other games.

#265 4 years ago

Final round coming up, if you're not first you're last!

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Another thing that's pretty cool about LOTR is the Gift of the Elves features for beating modes. A vast majority of pins don't have a reward system for beating modes (or its just something rather dull like a medal) beyond wizard mode progression. The Gift of the Elves feature is a cool hook that keeps players coming back as it creates a game within a game, just like the games layered multiballs and wizard modes. The layering and multiple stages in modes combined with great choreography is something that rarely exists in other games.

I agree. The code on LOTR is so great. I didn’t really appreciate how great a game it was until I bought one and put a lot of time on it. Yes it sucks multiplayer (and the artwork I guess), but everything else is pretty damn perfect and there’s so many little nooks and crannies in there. I’m still discovering things a year later.

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I agree. The code on LOTR is so great. I didn’t really appreciate how great a game it was until I bought one and put a lot of time on it. Yes it sucks multiplayer (and the artwork I guess), but everything else is pretty damn perfect and there’s so many little nooks and crannies in there. I’m still discovering things a year later.

Like super ring frenzy multiball. The 7th gift that’s not listed on the playfield.

#268 4 years ago

In my heart of hearts, I knew LOTR would beat JP2. Yet I’m still surprised? The recency bias and the fact that JP2 is very strong had me a little doubtful. But LoTR is what got me back into Pinball after 20 years (this was 10 odd years ago) and I have yet to play a game more perfectly integrated, clever, fun, challenging and just downright jaw dropping.

2 ball Destroy the Ring is the greatest shot in pinball, ever, and beyond this the game just has no weaknesses. I’ve played many games for 10 minutes and walked away bored. Overboard. And self assured. But not LoTR. I may not always like spending 45 minutes on the game and having to leave the machine to go to dinner, but I always return happily, on the epic quest to Valinor.

So long AFM. It was nice knowing ya!

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Man...this one is shaping up to be a doozy...finally home from work AND bourbon night.
Officially not responsible for my posts this evening...hell of a week......
Rooting for my favorite, grail, goat, etc. ALIEN..( oh wait..that ship sailed)
odin is good by me btw...has the best thread down in the basement ..he also had a BM66 for awhile..

Mmmm bourbon. Love me some really good bourbon. My pins felt left out of this here contest so I conducted my own poll with just me and my wife voting. (Gotta find stuff to do during this).
CSI vs. Shrek vs. 24 vs. Indy Jones (Stern). CSI beat Shrek 2-0. Indy Jones beat 24 2-0. In the breathless finals, CSI beat Indy 2-0, despite Indy being a favorite theme of mine. We both agreed that CSI was underrated and resembles LOTR in that each features 3 main multiball modes, and in no other way do they resemble each other. Winner = csi

053D3B04-4402-441E-A496-12247718A9B0 (resized).jpeg053D3B04-4402-441E-A496-12247718A9B0 (resized).jpeg
#270 4 years ago

Bad day for me...it’s raining...and my 2 favorites are out

Congrats to the winners.

#271 4 years ago

The right result for me. Very close though!

#272 4 years ago

Simply can't agree that LOTR is a better pin than JP, JP is the best game I've ever played bar none, so much wood chopping on LOTR... but the majority have spoken.

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Simply can't agree that LOTR is a better pin than JP, JP is the best game I've ever played bar none, so much wood chopping on LOTR... but the majority have spoken.

If jp2 had better (dare I say even decent) art and more assets, it would be the best machine ever. The art, to me, really stinks. But that probably goes hand in hand with the lack of assets. They went more comic book art since they don't have anyone but Nedry officially usable. And we don't need a giant Newman splayed across the translite.

And lack of characters is usually something I can overlook. I'm in the minority when it comes to TWD. I not only don't mind the hillbilly announcer, but actually LIKE him. So my opinion is obviously effed up. Lol

And lastly, it's Lord of the effing Rings. Game is good.

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

The art, to me, really stinks.

You like the art on LOTR more? Yikes. JPs art is not the greatest ever, but it’s leagues better than LOTR.

Tough to pick between the tried and true LOTR and the new hotness JP, but from all the things that matter to me in a game (layout, rules, replay value, even toys) JP is the winner for me.

LOTR only beats JP in theme integration.

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

the lack of assets

All four of these pins are amazing. They wouldn’t be in the final four if they weren’t. However, the big difference maker for me with respect to JP is the lack of assets. It’s a great layout, shooter and the code is already excellent. However, it is sorely lacking in assets - the art, the lack of Jeep, the lack of character integration and arguably one toy. I think LOTR has some of the best asset integration of any pin with everything you would expect from the movies. It also has a jam packed playfield with toys. In my opinion, it’s more of a complete package than JP. For that reason, I agree with the outcome. I say that making it clear that JP is an amazing pin!

#276 4 years ago

Thanks afm for doing this!

Finals poll coming!!!

#277 4 years ago

New poll will be up in less than an hour, thanks for your patience.

#278 4 years ago

After this thread is over can we do a “worst pinball game of all time”?

#279 4 years ago

The Finals voting is now open. I was unable to "hide" the vote till Monday, so we'll keep the results open. Enjoy!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-finals-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You like the art on LOTR more? Yikes. JPs art is not the greatest ever, but it’s leagues better than LOTR.

Hmm. Nowhere did I say anything about LOTR's artwork. But yeah, I do. Do I love LOTR art? God no. But the translight is way better than JP2's translites. Also the cabinet art looks way better, albeit that shitty Stern era dot matrix looking print.

You also have to keep in mind this game came out when Stern machine art was all just god god awful (not counting Simpson's). That doesn't excuse it one bit, but look at what stern can do now, art wise. They've done a 180 on what artwork looks like in their machines now. So who was out taking a whizz when jurrasic park came though?

But yeah, no... don't put words in my mouth. LOTRs art isn't great. I'm simply saying that jurrasic park dropped the ball in two spots to keep it from being the best pin ever.... and that's not too bad!

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Tough to pick between the tried and true LOTR and the new hotness JP, but from all the things that matter to me in a game (layout, rules, replay value, even toys) JP is the winner for me.
LOTR only beats JP in theme integration.

That's right. For you. Because it didn't win the majority vote. However, it would be interesting to see these two go against each other in a few years to see if JP2s newness wears off or makes it even better.

#281 4 years ago

I asked a question. Haha. Thanks for answering. LOTR art loses to JP by a wide margin. It might be the weakest aspect of the LOTR package.

#282 4 years ago

But I think JP is only going to gain ground with time. It almost made it to the final two and hasn’t even been out a year yet. That’s crazy.

#283 4 years ago

LOTR and AFM. To WAAAARRRRR!!!

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It almost made it to the final two and hasn’t even been out a year yet. That’s crazy.

Could go either way. I think ACDC won one year or was at least in the finals when it was newish

#285 4 years ago

I dunno, Iron Maiden came out with both barrels blazing too, and then faded. I suspect JP2 will end up more like that as well.

Let's regroup in 15 years and see if it maintained its popularity the way LoTR did today.

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Could go either way. I think ACDC won one year or was at least in the finals when it was newish

Exactly. Do it for 5 years, let alone 10 or 20 and we’ll talk. EHoH is in the Pinside top ten for god sake. ACDC was the flavor of the year for like 2 years. Now it’s an after thought. SM was considered an all time great once (still is to me), but after a decade of brand new pin enthusiasts entering the hobby and buying all the new games, the ratings are skewed.

Which is fine. We all know, deep down, what‘s good and what has staying power.

Tell you what, I am stunned at how good XMEN LE is. So much hate for so long, but now finished and mostly forgotten, the games shines. Been playing it nonstop lately. Can’t believe how much I like it.

#287 4 years ago

Didn’t realize this was a running thread for so long. Are the past winners listed somewhere?

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I asked a question. Haha. Thanks for answering. LOTR art loses to JP by a wide margin. It might be the weakest aspect of the LOTR package.

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Didn’t realize this was a running thread for so long. Are the past winners listed somewhere?

There was a really invoked, multi stage battle royale that someone staged a couple years ago. Took like weeks to complete. Can’t remember the format, but it was well done and fun. Be interesting to compare those results to now.

PS, LoTR art better than JP2.

#290 4 years ago

I guess I’m an art newb. LOTR looks like I did it and JP looks like it was done by a professional.

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

TZ, MM, AFM won the first 3 years I believe(?). when Jar155 was doing it he switched to offsite which I was not a fan of (Shocking I know ) because now the results can't be looked up But then again, there was no poll option back then so it's not easy like now.

Quoted from jar155:

W
Modern Bracket - AC/DC vs The Addams Family
Classics Bracket - Whirlwind vs Taxi

Quoted from jar155:

The end of the road is here, and we have a great finals match up. With wins over lots of heavy hitters, AC/DC and Attack From Mars face off for 2014's champion status.
Attack From Mars vs. AC/DC

Quoted from RobT:

TZ wins by the largest lead that it *ever* had during the course of the voting....

#292 4 years ago

Modern and classics bracket is cool.

#293 4 years ago

It’s the whole package man. Frankly, I don’t get the complaints about LOTR art. For a cut and paste it’s well done IMO. I loved the way the game looked in my home. It was warm and earthy and moody and gave you everything you needed to capture the spirit of the movies and the depth of the game.

JP art is just kinda ugly to me. Nothing special about it at all. Borderline Data East in style. Not my cup of tea.

#294 4 years ago

Not even a dong on the LOTR LE translite could get in the way of victory!

On to the next round!

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

For a cut and paste

Full stop. I’m sorry I just hate art that looks phoned in. Everything from cut and paste to how horribly the art transferred to printing to the playfield. Everything else in the game is great so you really don’t really notice it while playing thankfully.

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

But I think JP is only going to gain ground with time. It almost made it to the final two and hasn’t even been out a year yet. That’s crazy.

I like JP layout too.

FYI we will see where JP lands over time.
Think about Iron Maiden release - everyone thought that was the best machine ever at the time and it has slowly faded including the price.

Time will tell !!

#297 4 years ago

For those that have played a good amount of JP and LOTR does JP offer similar objective based main modes, layered multiballs and wizard modes or is the game more points focused versus being on a journey? I'm curious as I've been considering picking up a JP Premium but haven't played a lot of games on it. In LOTR there are the 6 or so main modes that use the entire playfield well, the 3 movie multiballs that each have various the stages, there's a reward system for beating modes (Gift of the Elves), and of course multiple layered wizard modes. I've read that JP has multiple wizard modes which is great to hear.

Thanks!

#298 4 years ago

It’s more of a choose your own adventure for the main modes. They are similar in the objectives but varied in that the requirements change for each Dino you’re going after. After each captured Dino it gives you an advantage for the rest of the game. Then there’s all the Trex modes, control room modes, side quests for dna combos, fossils, etc. and probably 2-3 wizard modes you’ll never see. Haha

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Tell you what, I am stunned at how good XMEN LE is. So much hate for so long, but now finished and mostly forgotten, the games shines. Been playing it nonstop lately. Can’t believe how much I like it.

No truer statement....I absolutely have a blast on this game. Have no idea what was wrong w it prior, but zero complaints here!!!!

Added Newton ball for Wolvy...great shots,mb, and alot of ways to play... just fun!!!!.. a gem...

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s more of a choose your own adventure for the main modes. They are similar in the objectives but varied in that the requirements change for each Dino you’re going after. After each captured Dino it gives you an advantage for the rest of the game. Then there’s all the Trex modes, control room modes, side quests for dna combos, fossils, etc. and probably 2-3 wizard modes you’ll never see. Haha

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 289.99
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 7.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
$ 84.99
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/final-four-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition/page/6?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.