Topic Stats

• 993 posts
  • 205 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 72 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20141007_222728.jpg
IMG_20141007_222853.jpg
IMG_20141001_203751.jpg
IMG_20141001_143850.jpg
image.jpg
AMH4.JPG
AMH3.JPG
AMH2.JPG
AMH1.JPG
10150535_10152395357606188_8383491541819421479_n.jpg
JWE_0468.jpg
image-672.jpg
image-814.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 993 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 20.
#953 5 years ago

Looks awesome in the dark. Really like the light sequence on the scoop kickout.

#954 5 years ago

Yes, it really does shine in the dark. The mode lighting is well done. IF you swap the inserts whites for color matched it is even better.

#955 5 years ago

Chuck dropped off the game that's going to Expo so I can add more code over the coming weeks.

Big thing I'm adding is customized score displays with prompts. So if you're in a multiball, you see a small score, small "Ball #", Jackpot Value and a big SHOOT GHOST!

I'm improving other prompts too now that I've seen multiple videos of people playing it in their homes.

I guess it will be called the "Expo 2014 Update" and I'll make it available once I've fixed any bugs we see at Expo

IMG_20141001_143850.jpg
IMG_20141001_203751.jpg

#956 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Chuck dropped off the game that's going to Expo so I can add more code over the coming weeks.
Big thing I'm adding is customized score displays with prompts. So if you're in a multiball, you see a small score, small "Ball #", Jackpot Value and a big SHOOT GHOST!
I'm improving other prompts too now that I've seen multiple videos of people playing it in their homes.
I guess it will be called the "Expo 2014 Update" and I'll make it available once I've fixed any bugs we see at Expo

IMG_20141001_143850.jpg 200 KB

IMG_20141001_203751.jpg 252 KB

Looks great! Dig it. Jackpot values make me drool

#957 5 years ago

Sweet!

Do you still want me to come down this weekend and tell you what sucks so you can fix it
I can also share my super cool super secret new mode that I think you could probably program in somehow.

#958 5 years ago

Ben, Since you are working on code, things off the top of my head:

Make the credits left on the machine reset to zero when turned off to be optional. I like playing my home machines with credits. Big pain putting them back on each time I turn on the machine.

Next i love having high scores with more than 3 letters. Ten letters would be groovy. I don't know, maybe that is just me. If it is just me. don't bother.

Lastly, when a credit is won, either by matching or high score, a cool sound effect or call out would be awesome.

#959 5 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Make the credits left on the machine reset to zero when turned off to be optional. I like playing my home machines with credits. Big pain putting them back on each time I turn on the machine.

Isn't this a requirement for some jurisdictions to have credits that say on the game even after unplugging? I might have actually heard that on a spooky podcast in a segment about bingos...

#960 5 years ago

Made a note to add Store Credits on Power Down as a game option.

For me it's mostly about improving prompts, more info on the DMD, probably a Status Report screen (game currently doesn't have one) but any bug fixes / simple changes I'll do as well.

If you have an AMH please share ideas. I'd also suggest not bothering to update your code until after Expo (it will be a lot better!)

#961 5 years ago

Ben, one bug I have noticed in the code on my machine is that the ball saver in Hellavator multiball doesn't expire. It seems to happen every time, unless you start that multiball as a mystery award. We tested to see how far it goes and finally had to tilt it off after about 5 minutes.

As for prompts, is there a simple way to display what ball is currently in play when a player is up? Before the plunge, it will display what player number is up, but not what ball they are on.

Also, a bug with the bar ghost. If you drain while trying to free the captive ball, the ball stays captured behind the shield targets which screws up the next player's ball when they drop the shield.

#962 5 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Ben, one bug I have noticed in the code on my machine is that the ball saver in Hellavator multiball doesn't expire. It seems to happen every time, unless you start that multiball as a mystery award. We tested to see how far it goes and finally had to tilt it off after about 5 minutes.

I have not had that happen to me in hellavator multiball. Matter of fact, i drain the balls too quickly and it ends. LOL. I wonder if the setting you have on ball save time effects this? I have mine on 9 seconds.

#963 5 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I have not had that happen to me in hellavator multiball. Matter of fact, i drain the balls too quickly and it ends. LOL. I wonder if the setting you have on ball save time effects this? I have mine on 9 seconds.

I didn't know you got your game. Congrats! Yup, I have mine set on 9, as well. It also did this on the default setting before I changed it. I'm not sure what's up with that.

...I just tried testing the Hellavator multiball with different ball save settings. I set it back to default (5) and still had the issue. I then tried setting it to 1 and the problem cleared up! Unfortunately, on the next Hellavator multiball I got, it was back! I then tried setting 2, 3, 4 and ultimately back to 1. I only had one other time that the ball saver expired, again on setting 1, but it usually just keeps going. I am running code version 7.

#964 5 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I didn't know you got your game. Congrats! Yup, I have mine set on 9, as well. It also did this on the default setting before I changed it. I'm not sure what's up with that.
...I just tried testing the Hellavator multiball with different ball save settings. I set it back to default (5) and still had the issue. I then tried setting it to 1 and the problem cleared up! Unfortunately, on the next Hellavator multiball I got, it was back! I then tried setting 2, 3, 4 and ultimately back to 1. I only had one other time that the ball saver expired, again on setting 1, but it usually just keeps going. I am running code version 7.

I just got hellavator multiball and no prolonged ball saver. hmmmm.

When I get a chance I will pm you so we can exchange settings

#965 5 years ago

I actually came across the Bar Ghost bug last night. First time you fail Bar Ghost it gives you ball back, allowing a quick restart.

Next time you start Bar Ghost the ball gets stuck. I have fixed this, and logged the other issues as well.

Keep 'em coming, and I'll keep fixin' em!

#966 5 years ago

One thing I noticed in the video's that I've never seen before is the triangles in the corners of the DMD that tell you what ramp to shoot. The way they are flashing and all the noise really adds a sense of urgency to the shot, even if there is none. It's a great effect.

I've had Metallica on my list for some time but I'm really starting to lean towards AMH. Great game.

BTW, please ship Nate Shiver's game, I'm sick of hearing him whine about it on his podcast

#967 5 years ago

Some kind of notification that your ball is going to be released from the magnet after video mode is over would be nice. You concentrate on the display and almost immediately after you die the ball is released. A light effect or something on the display?

During Theatre mode, sometimes the jump ramp shot flashes with another shot which can be confusing. I don't remember if the jump is for a combo or more time (thinking minion was more time).

Add more ghost boobs with photo hunt

#968 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I actually came across the Bar Ghost bug last night. First time you fail Bar Ghost it gives you ball back, allowing a quick restart.
Next time you start Bar Ghost the ball gets stuck. I have fixed this, and logged the other issues as well.
Keep 'em coming, and I'll keep fixin' em!

So every time your machine needs a code update you reprogram and make a code update available? That's a novel idea........ a problem is identified and that problem gets fixed PDQ.

Your customer service is amazing Mr. Heck.

QSS

#969 5 years ago

Woohoo
Game's been paid for,
Hope to see it soon!
Thanks Spooky!

John

PS Sorry for all the emails KT

#970 5 years ago

Been playing AMH often. A very fun game.

#971 5 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

Some kind of notification that your ball is going to be released from the magnet after video mode is over would be nice. You concentrate on the display and almost immediately after you die the ball is released. A light effect or something on the display?
During Theatre mode, sometimes the jump ramp shot flashes with another shot which can be confusing. I don't remember if the jump is for a combo or more time (thinking minion was more time).
Add more ghost boobs with photo hunt

Video mode exit notice added to list.

In Theater Mode, the jump shot gets you SUPER JUMPS. The more you can hit the more you score but the risk/reward is running out of time for the normal Theater Mode goals (following the strobing shots) When you hit the ghost to add more time to the mode it resets your Super Jumps value.

The only other thing that shot does in that mode, if I recall, is collect Combo if you re-shoot it fast enough. Make sense?

Adding more random ghost photos is a low priority but if ya'll have any funny image ideas let me know. There's not much you can easily convey in 128x32 aspect ratio.

Attached images show what I'm improving with the display. All modes now have a "Custom Score Display" which shows current player score along with main objective, hits to go, next jackpot value and stuff like that. I also improved the Skill Shot screen as requested.

Other stuff I've done:

1) Game no longer totally blacks out on Drain, now goes RED on Tilt.
2) Fixed Hellavator flasher issues
3) Fixed PWM on ball drain kicker for smoother action
4) Improved "score collision" where large point values sometimes flicker over each other
5) "Jackpot" light doesn't flash in Doctor Mode until it's actually time for jackpots

I'm spending every evening until Expo improved this game since I've got one at home to work on. Stay tuned!

Also, fun fact: Pops randomly advance either War Fort or Haunted Bar at start of game. To select (non-random) while pressing START to begin, hold Left Flipper for Bar, Right Flipper for War.

IMG_20141007_222853.jpg IMG_20141007_222728.jpg
#972 5 years ago

Thanks for the explanation on super jumps!
I am asking only: would it make sense to have the super jump shot lit solid vs flashing like the other Theatre shots?
Really appreciate the feedback and communication from both Ben and Charlie.
keep up the great work guys.

#973 5 years ago

really great that you are rejuvenated in AMH coding Ben!

Glad to see the initial games have made it into the hands of a variety of players that are all giving some great feedback and you are adjusting/making changes very quickly.

#974 5 years ago

The sound for the tilt warning seems to be the same sound thats used for a combo shot. Could one of these be changed? If you dont catch it on the dmd, sometimes it's hard to tell if you are getting tilt warnings.

#975 5 years ago

Wow, nice work Ben.

1 week later
#976 5 years ago

I've had this AMH here at home 2 weeks and have been adding/tweaking a lot of things in time for Expo. WhySnow stopped by last weekend and had some great suggestions too.

Here's the change/added list Code Version 14:

Pop Bumper Jackpot Increase score value no longer "overrides" other current score notices.
End of ball video fixed for balls 4 and 5.
Hellavator jogs back and forth if ball doesn't exit it properly.
Progress bar no longer occasionally shows as empty (was issue with Center Shot Combo)
Audit menu showing earnings, plays, average ball time, replays, matches, extra balls.
Selectable Skill Shot before you launch ball - awesome idea thanks WHYSNOW.
Improved Skill Shot graphics
Pop bumper action doesn't count against [most] in-game timers
All timers have a slight "beep" added.
Added notification and prompt on Video Mode Ball Release
Flipper buttons cancel out End of Ball Bonus Screen.
Very subtle backbox color changes in attract mode to confuse drunk people
Better prompts / custom score displays for all modes
Added more points indicators, and constant display of current jackpot values when lit.

Game Changes when in Tournament Mode:

Spirit Guide Awards are progressive / awarded in order. Awards already earned (such as Mode Starts) are skipped.
Tap flipper button in attract mode to bring up Last Game's Scores for 15 seconds so you can write them down
Extra Ball / Match disabled by default in Tournament Mode. Can be re-enabled, or Extra Ball set to a point value.
Random modes are un-randomized. For example, Photo Hunt follows a pattern, Hotel Ghost you simple need to make 3 shots, etc.

The AMH we're bring to Expo has this latest code, and we'll also update any AMH we come across that wants it.

We'll note and fix any bugs that come up during expo, and then have that as the Next Code Release which I would consider to be fairly final.

#977 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I've had this AMH here at home 2 weeks and have been adding/tweaking a lot of things in time for Expo. WhySnow stopped by last weekend and had some great suggestions too.
Here's the change/added list Code Version 14:
Pop Bumper Jackpot Increase score value no longer "overrides" other current score notices.
End of ball video fixed for balls 4 and 5.
Hellavator jogs back and forth if ball doesn't exit it properly.
Progress bar no longer occasionally shows as empty (was issue with Center Shot Combo)
Audit menu showing earnings, plays, average ball time, replays, matches, extra balls.
Selectable Skill Shot before you launch ball - awesome idea thanks WHYSNOW.
Improved Skill Shot graphics
Pop bumper action doesn't count against [most] in-game timers
All timers have a slight "beep" added.
Added notification and prompt on Video Mode Ball Release
Flipper buttons cancel out End of Ball Bonus Screen.
Very subtle backbox color changes in attract mode to confuse drunk people
Better prompts / custom score displays for all modes
Added more points indicators, and constant display of current jackpot values when lit.
Game Changes when in Tournament Mode:
Spirit Guide Awards are progressive / awarded in order. Awards already earned (such as Mode Starts) are skipped.
Tap flipper button in attract mode to bring up Last Game's Scores for 15 seconds so you can write them down
Extra Ball / Match disabled by default in Tournament Mode. Can be re-enabled, or Extra Ball set to a point value.
Random modes are un-randomized. For example, Photo Hunt follows a pattern, Hotel Ghost you simple need to make 3 shots, etc.
The AMH we're bring to Expo has this latest code, and we'll also update any AMH we come across that wants it.
We'll note and fix any bugs that come up during expo, and then have that as the Next Code Release which I would consider to be fairly final.

Awesome work Ben.

#978 5 years ago

Great work, especially the tournament considerations. I did a monthly last night with both T2 and Dr. Who. Talk about waiting forever if you miss it the first time. Being able to recall scores instantly is really nice.

#979 5 years ago

great stuff Ben and thanks for letting me come over and provide some suggestions! Glad others are liking them.

I played at expo and they are all great!!!

#980 5 years ago

We logged one bug at Expo on AMH.

Did anyone play it and come across anything? Please discuss here and we will address. Or tell you that's supposed to be that way

#981 5 years ago

Hi Ben
Loved the game
Only suggestion is it needs better lighting

#982 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We logged one bug at Expo on AMH.

Did anyone play it and come across anything? Please discuss here and we will address. Or tell you that's supposed to be that way

I had a few multiplayer games (3-4 players), where the ghost shield wouldn't pop back up at the start of player 3's ball. That player then couldn't advance the ghost minion. It took a reboot to clear the issue. I have also seen 3 player games where player 2 & 3 start on the 3rd ghost minion (never seeing minion 1-2), yet he still only takes 3 shots to defeat and starts minion multiball. These issues have been really rare, but I have seen each happen a few times.

I had mentioned before, can you make the combo shot a separate sound from the tilt warning sound? Sometimes it's hard to identify if you are doing a bad thing or a good thing without looking up at the dmd as it happens.

Thanks for putting all this attention into the code, Ben. Your ruleset is really creative with this one! It's something pretty different from what's out there and the experience tends to be a little different every time.

#983 5 years ago

Start of ball, targets should go UP (allowing a minion advance) unless Video Mode is lit. Did this only happen to Player 3? Do you recall what mode if any they had been in before getting their ball back with no Minion enabled?

Player 2 and 3 starting on Minion 3 is weird. This only occurred randomly?

I see what you mean about the Tilt warning. It's got that beeping going on. Will fix!

#984 5 years ago

Wanted to play AMH at york but a longer line made me go play WOZ first then when I kept coming back they were working on the machine. Ended up not getting to play it and still kicking myself over it. What is the absolute cheapest you can get one of these for? 6k? ARGH!! wish it were 5k as I prob be a buyer for sure. Sucks being poor.

#985 5 years ago

Doughslingers was selling one at expo for $5,000!!!! bargain

#986 5 years ago

Ben/Charlie
Got a chance to play the AMH at the PBL party. Excellent game. Congratulations.
Wally

#987 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Start of ball, targets should go UP (allowing a minion advance) unless Video Mode is lit. Did this only happen to Player 3? Do you recall what mode if any they had been in before getting their ball back with no Minion enabled?

Yes, it only happened to player 3 and it carried over from ball to ball once it started. It would go back up at the start of ball for all other players. I didn't notice what had happened on the ball before this, but I'll try to make note of it if it happens again.

Quoted from benheck:

Player 2 and 3 starting on Minion 3 is weird. This only occurred randomly?

Yes. I have only seen it happen twice so far. Both of these issues happened when people were over playing (and drinking), so it was tough to see what lead to this.

Quoted from benheck:

I see what you mean about the Tilt warning. It's got that beeping going on. Will fix!

#988 5 years ago

So is the latest code up right now for download?

either I'm doing it wrong, or its not. Mine still says AMH7. Everything seems the same.

#989 5 years ago

Mine always says version 7 at bootup, but I have changed the code a few times.

#990 5 years ago

Played the game at York Show - was very impressed. Very intrigued by the game and wish I had more time to explore more.

2 years later
#991 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

http://www.benheck.com/Downloads/dmd_convert.zip
Right now it only accepts BMP sequences (we export them from Adobe Premiere / After Effects) but it'll take AVI files in the future too.
Try it out!

I understand this is an old thread but does anyone have this program dmd_convert.zip, would like to experiment with the files on my game, the link doesn't work anymore, please

#992 3 years ago
Quoted from bossgp:

I understand this is an old thread but does anyone have this program dmd_convert.zip, would like to experiment with the files on my game, the link doesn't work anymore, please

just so others know, this guy is attempting to build his own AMH.

Ben and Spooky removed the original files from online for good reason. This guy does not have a real game and his "experiment on my game" line shows his character as he is trying to bluff you to give him what he needs.

If you respect both Ben and Spooky then it would be cool of you not to help him. He specifically is trying to get the original art files to move forward. Scary part is based on the PMs I have received I get the impression he is attempting to build ones that he can pass off as early run originals in the future for profit.

I told him to reach out directly to Spooky/Ben but he has been turned down by them (I assume for good reason).

#993 3 years ago

bump so other see what is going on here.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Normal, IL
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Toppers
COINTAKER.COM
$ 17.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lafayette, IN
$ 6,200.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 74.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 9.00
There are 993 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside