• (1) Godzilla VS 156 votes
    28%
  • (4) Attack From Mars 136 votes
    25%
  • (2) Medieval Madness VS 169 votes
    31%
  • (3) Jurassic Park (Stern) 89 votes
    16%

(Multiple choice - 550 votes by 310 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EFA7540F-305F-4A18-89F2-6C602060712E.jpeg
32DB0427-28DD-45C8-AAC1-DF49C1545808.jpeg
CD6B192A-BC27-4A80-BE6D-A22D9980A1CE.gif
46DE13FC-6791-49EF-82B2-A55BC10ED2BA.jpeg
FinalFour.png
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

Voting for the Finals is now open: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finals-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition-2023

________________________________________________________________________________________
The top four are in the Final Four. Who's your favorite to win? Voting is now open. Matchups are below.

Thank you to everyone who is participating!

Final Four voting ends at 7pm PST/10pm EST, Thursday, March 30th.

FinalFour.pngFinalFour.png

#2 1 year ago

The truth is finally upon us (maybe)...

#3 1 year ago

It should be some close voting this round and and championship round.

#4 1 year ago

I’m predicting that five years from now AFM and MM will still be in final four facing off against two other competitors.

#5 1 year ago

kind of a tough vote....

my actual ranking would be 2-3-1-4

Out of curiosity what has been everyone's most difficult vote?

Mine.. I will repeat ... EHOH vs BM66

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

I’m predicting that five years from now AFM and MM will still be in final four facing off against two other competitors.

True, but lots of Godzilla honeymooners active. Great game ( again) , but still...

#7 1 year ago

Brian & Keith should high-five at work today.

#8 1 year ago

#3 & #4 are in my three pin collection, so my votes are obvious. I think Godzilla may win due to recency bias, but honestly there are things about that game that grate on my nerves (i.e. the sound package with the never ending news bulletins).

#9 1 year ago

Apologies to the Lawlor and Ritchie fans, but the two best designers in pinball history facing off in the final four makes perfect sense to me. Two things that should drive MM and AFM into the final IMHO. Lyman on code and far superior callouts on the B/W games.

#10 1 year ago

1,3,4,2. Still bummed metallica lost

#11 1 year ago

A friend of mine and I were talking about 90’s Ballys/Williams pins last night and he mentioned the magic they caught in that era.

There is a reason these games (AFM, MM, MB, CC, and more) are being remade today.

They truly stand the rest of time.

#12 1 year ago

I love MM and AFM for their themes and their hilarious, campy callouts and voice acting. The music in both games is fun and well suited too. But the games themselves are pretty basic fan layouts and very similar to one another. There's room at the top for more innovation and I think GZ in particular brings that in spades. Like the other "greats" it succeeds in part through being campy both in theme and callouts. I get the complaints about the main voice actor/news caster and maybe you could argue the one place the older games easily beat GZ is in the callout department. But GZ's layout is way more interesting (though arguably fan-like to a degree in it's own way) and the rules are much, much deeper than either MM or AFM. Not denigrating those earlier games, but again I think GZ earns its place at the top and it shouldn't be supplanted there unless an even better game comes along to dethrone it.

Having said that, I can see JP eventually falling down the list as the Elwin effect wears off. That game has a great layout and amazing ruleset, but it falls flat in theme integration and callouts in particular. And I think it's those things that will let a game withstand the test of time...

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

(i.e. the sound package with the never ending news bulletins).

...like in AFM?

#14 1 year ago

I must be doing something right since I own all 4 of these. I also agree with the comment that newer titles may not hold favor after a while but you never know, GZ may still be a top tier game 20 years from now. In any case I voted MM since it's been my favorite over a long period of time, plus I have fond memories about acquiring mine back in '98.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

#3 & #4 are in my three pin collection, so my votes are obvious. I think Godzilla may win due to recency bias, but honestly there are things about that game that grate on my nerves (i.e. the sound package with the never ending news bulletins).

Godzilla should win because it should win. I'm shocked that medieval madness is still up there after all these years.

#16 1 year ago

Jurassic Park should really take it - but it will prob get 4th : (

MM and AFM are classic I get it

Godzilla - great game but overrated imo. Theme is a killer for me.

JP, AFM, GZ, MM

#17 1 year ago

all four of these are such great games. Is one really better than an other? I'd say at this point it's mostly just personal preference, as in what is really important to you the individual pinhead. Some folks like the deeper rules and more innovative playfields of the modern Stern Elwin games, some folks like the originality and simpler fun of the older Williams machines. There's no losers in these four!

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Jurassic Park should really take it - but it will prob get 4th : (
MM and AFM are classic I get it
Godzilla - great game but overrated imo. Theme is a killer for me.
JP, AFM, GZ, MM

Had to give you an upvote just to balance things out. I'd flip your first two and leave the rest as you have them.

#19 1 year ago

I would have been happier if the final 4 was setup so that the two classics were head-to-head and the two modern pins were head-to-head. That way the finals would be locked as classic vs. modern (may end up that way anyway, but personally I would put AFM before MM and JP before GZ).

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I would have been happier if the final 4 was setup so that the two classics were head-to-head and the two modern pins were head-to-head. That way the finals would be locked as classic vs. modern (may end up that way anyway, but personally I would put AFM before MM and JP before GZ).

We did have MM and AFM heads up in the Final Four in 2020. AFM edged MM by a handful of votes.

I can’t believe we had over 1100 votes from 617 Pinsiders in that round. Where is everyone this time around?
46DE13FC-6791-49EF-82B2-A55BC10ED2BA.jpeg46DE13FC-6791-49EF-82B2-A55BC10ED2BA.jpeg

#21 1 year ago

I think Godzilla will stand the test of time against recency bias. IMO there isnt an aspect of the game that isnt a homerun, with the layout being a grand slam.

But I just got 1 billion and GC on my local GZ, so I am riding high on it right now.

#22 1 year ago

As someone who has been in the hobby for over 25 years, Godzilla does everything right. It gets my vote.

#23 1 year ago

I like Godzilla. I like it a lot. I already think Foo Fighter's is a better game.

#24 1 year ago

Recency bias is no doubt a thing as every JJP and Stern graces the top 10 for a short period after release, however Godzilla has earned its #1 spot. It’s Stern’s best game since LOTR to me. Every aspect of the game is top notch and can stand toe to toe with any B/W classic.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

I think Godzilla will stand the test of time against recency bias. IMO there isnt an aspect of the game that isnt a homerun, with the layout being a grand slam.
But I just got 1 billion and GC on my local GZ, so I am riding high on it right now.

Congrats!

I sheepishly admit I just Ruled the Universe for the first time last night on my AFM LE. It only took me 2047 days (August 2017) from my NIB delivery to make it happen. LOL

What I like most about AFM, it's a tough game for me as an owner, yet everyone enjoys it no matter what the skill level they have.

#26 1 year ago

I like that the earlier rounds eliminated all titles but these four pins, which also sit atop Pinside. Votes are coming in and races are tight.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Congrats!
I sheepishly admit I just Ruled the Universe for the first time last night on my AFM LE. It only took me 2047 days (August 2017) from my NIB delivery to make it happen. LOL
What I like most about AFM, it's a tough game for me as an owner, yet everyone enjoys it no matter what the skill level they have.

Destroying the Mother ship video mode is challenging too. Mostly because it comes up once per game, at most. I always need at least one smart bomb and sometimes 2 to finish it. But I’ve completed mothership 3 times and have RTU 3 times. Both feel great, as do destroying the last saucer, bashing martians to start mb and playing strobe mb. Code on AFM is simple yet great.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Destroying the Mother ship video mode is challenging too...

Oh I don't now aboot that

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I like Godzilla. I like it a lot. I already think Foo Fighter's is a better game.

Have you played ff yet? I was thinking same as you, but have not played yet.

#30 1 year ago

Destroying the Mother ship video mode is challenging too. Mostly because it comes up once per game, at most. I always need at least one smart bomb and sometimes 2 to finish it. But I’ve completed mothership 3 times and have RTU 3 times. Both feel great, as do destroying the last saucer, bashing martians to start mb and playing strobe mb. Code on AFM is simple yet great.

I’ve only beat video mode twice. Beating the mothership does feel very satisfying.

I had no idea you could use bombs to help you complete video mode.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from viper001:

I must be doing something right since I own all 4 of these. I also agree with the comment that newer titles may not hold favor after a while but you never know, GZ may still be a top tier game 20 years from now. In any case I voted MM since it's been my favorite over a long period of time, plus I have fond memories about acquiring mine back in '98.

viper001 You might be the least bit biased by owning all four. How would you rank them in your personal opinion?

#32 1 year ago

JP is my favorite of these by a good margin but I'm pretty sure it's about to lose.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I’ve only beat video mode twice. Beating the mothership does feel very satisfying.
I had no idea you could use bombs to help you complete video mode.

Yeah a smart bomb in AFM will destroy all saucers on screen. You earn them from Martian mb, mystery award and other ways.

The smart bomb in MM will destroy one troll and battling trolls is when to use them.

A smart bomb in STh doesn’t exist, but maybe it should. The obvious smart bomb would score one kill in demogorgon mode. Someone tell Brian Eddy to get on this.

#34 1 year ago

Yeah a smart bomb in AFM will destroy all saucers on screen. You earn them from Martian mb, mystery award and other ways.

IIRC, video mode smart bomb is separate from martian bombs. You always get exactly one video mode smart bomb. Martian bombs are earned and only used for killing martians.

A smart bomb in STh doesn’t exist, but maybe it should. The obvious smart bomb would score one kill in demogorgon mode.

That exact thing already exists, once per game, no more can be earned.

#35 1 year ago

The smart bomb in MM will destroy one troll and battling trolls is when to use them.
A smart bomb in STh doesn’t exist, but maybe it should. The obvious smart bomb would score one kill in demogorgon mode. Someone tell Brian Eddy to get on this.

And I thought the Martian Bombs could only be used against the martians in Martian Attack mode. Thanks for the tip.

I guess it makes my feat of video mode a little more impressive.

CD6B192A-BC27-4A80-BE6D-A22D9980A1CE.gifCD6B192A-BC27-4A80-BE6D-A22D9980A1CE.gif
#36 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

IIRC, video mode smart bomb is separate from martian bombs. You always get exactly one video mode smart bomb. Martian bombs are earned and only used for killing martians.

That exact thing already exists, once per game, no more can be earned.

Do I need to retract my GIF from Jeff to you now? LOL

#37 1 year ago

I’m going to have to relearn a whole mess of stuff. But think I’ve got it now. What is bomb called in STh and how to earn it?

#38 1 year ago

Less than three days to vote. Finals start Friday morning.

#39 1 year ago

I’m going to have to relearn a whole mess of stuff. But think I’ve got it now. What is bomb called in STh and how to earn it?

You get it at the start of the game. You can use with the action button any time you are fighting a demogorgon

#40 1 year ago

What is bomb called in STh and how to earn it?

Not sure what it’s called, but you don’t have to earn it. Hit the action button once per game anytime a demogorgon is active to kill it. I always use it on the first one immediately, before the ball is even released. Don’t want to risk draining just to squeeze out a few extra points killing it the hard way.

Second demogorgon mode is two of them, but it’s a multiball, so you can bash ’em safely.

Edit: d’oh! Late.

#41 1 year ago

writein vote for Hardbody

#42 1 year ago

Mid morning bump. Exactly 200 Pinsiders have voted. Awesome!

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Have you played ff yet? I was thinking same as you, but have not played yet.

Yes, dude. It is awesome. The flow is off the charts and there are surprise shots that you never expect. I only played the pro, can't wait to play a premium to compare.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Mid morning bump. Exactly 200 Pinsiders have voted. Awesome!

Appears an epic showdown of the King vs. Japanese Monster..we shall see!!

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from AFM95:

viper001 You might be the least bit biased by owning all four. How would you rank them in your personal opinion?

I'm not sure I can undo my own recency bias as I've owned the 2 Bly/Wms titles for many years but I will try to give my honest ranking, thanks for asking! I always tend to think of thing like this in terms of, if I had to reduce my pinball collection one game at a time until I hit zero, what order would they hang on. That said:

1) MM
2) GZ
3) AFM
4) JP

If I were to be honest I almost dropped AFM down to 4th but I kept it where it is just because of it's ultra classic 90's status, but since it's new to my collection I'm honestly playing JP way more than AFM.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from viper001:

I'm not sure I can undo my own recency bias as I've owned the 2 Bly/Wms titles for many years but I will try to give my honest ranking, thanks for asking! I always tend to think of thing like this in terms of, if I had to reduce my pinball collection one game at a time until I hit zero, what order would they hang on. That said:
1) MM
2) GZ
3) AFM
4) JP
If I were to be honest I almost dropped AFM down to 4th but I kept it where it is just because of it's ultra classic 90's status, but since it's new to my collection I'm honestly playing JP way more than AFM.

I appreciate your opinion.

I can’t speak to JP or GZ yet, but it’s great to see newer games challenging some of the all-time greats. We need new, fun, and innovative pins. Otherwise this hobby would get quiet stale.

#47 1 year ago

I have three of these in my 4 pin collection!
All are great!!

I think JP will be first of mine to go (just too difficult for me to make any progress, even set up for easy mode), and then AFM (the squealing and depiction of women is embarrassingly dated, and the overall humor is old and wears thin quickly).

#48 1 year ago

Wouldve liked to see AFM take the crown. I believe it is best in final four. Obviously not deep like modern pins…but makes up for it with all the fun stuff and strat using your various MBs to rule the universe. I think too many pinsiders think of it as ‘blow up the saucer again and again’. Pffff.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

Wouldve liked to see AFM take the crown. I believe it is best in final four. Obviously not deep like modern pins…but makes up for it with all the fun stuff and strat using your various MBs to rule the universe. I think too many pinsiders think of it as ‘blow up the saucer again and again’. Pffff.

AFM making a nice run at it!! Respect....

#50 1 year ago

48 hours until voting ends.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Austin, MN
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Mad Pinball Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

8,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/final-4-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition-2023?hl=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.