3-plastics (resized).jpg
2 crackling (resized).jpg
1 25x my 2cents worth (resized).jpg
Hmm (resized).jpg
rustly rail (resized).jpg
filth 2 (resized).jpg
filth 1 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

During my quest to find something to deeeeeep clean a PF, I came across this post by @habo.

".... For really ground in playfield dirt and grime I use Westley’s Bleche-wite. Its main use is a tire white wall and lettering cleaner but it can be safely used on late model pins that are diamond plated or clear coated. Apply to small portions of a playfield at a time for about 10 seconds then gently brush the area. Once you’re finished, re-wipe the playfield with a damp cloth to make sure the cleaner is entirely off.
Here is a HS2 I did for Funhouse Amusements a few years ago. Really dirty."

http://www.funhouseamusements.com/Funhouse%20Amusements%20-%20High%20Speed%202.html

OMG! Deja vu for you... I know this post is feeding off of an old thread but I recently got my hands on an HS2 that I believe was a HUO machine for most its life. Its PF looks almost EXACTLY as bad as the one you cleaned in the link above. I was looking for some advice to restore such a filthy field; unfortunately most cleaning blogs, vlogs and posts are for machines that get loved somewhat regularly, so this is a literal spot-on link for me! My machine has so much dirt I considered a rototiller to start the process. I'm Probably gonna remove most, but not all hardware to get down deeper but my skill lvl and patience is limited so I fear creating a situation where I have to pay for tech to fix my goofs. Game has a few other issues to fix but no serious problems. Maybe I'll try to do some regular updates and pics as I go along but will certainly post more before/after pics when complete. Pics below are taken through glass as you may suspect.

20201127_132140 (resized).jpg20201127_132140 (resized).jpg20201127_132157 (resized).jpg20201127_132157 (resized).jpg20201127_132203 (resized).jpg20201127_132203 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Nice pickup! Just take lots of photos as you strip the PF to help you when you're rebuilding it - the more photos the better.

Look forward to watching your progress

#3 3 years ago

That will clean up, gonna take some time and patience.
Sidenote-- I have found that black rubbers dirty the playfield way faster than white and no longer use them. The clear and colored rubbers from Titan Pinball seem to be the way to go.
-Mike

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from hogzillaman:

During my quest to find something to deeeeeep clean a PF, I came across this post by habo.
".... For really ground in playfield dirt and grime I use Westley’s Bleche-wite. Its main use is a tire white wall and lettering cleaner but it can be safely used on late model pins that are diamond plated or clear coated. Apply to small portions of a playfield at a time for about 10 seconds then gently brush the area. Once you’re finished, re-wipe the playfield with a damp cloth to make sure the cleaner is entirely off.
Here is a HS2 I did for Funhouse Amusements a few years ago. Really dirty."
http://www.funhouseamusements.com/Funhouse%20Amusements%20-%20High%20Speed%202.html
OMG! Deja vu for you... I know this post is feeding off of an old thread but I recently got my hands on an HS2 that I believe was a HUO machine for most its life. Its PF looks almost EXACTLY as bad as the one you cleaned in the link above. I was looking for some advice to restore such a filthy field; unfortunately most cleaning blogs, vlogs and posts are for machines that get loved somewhat regularly, so this is a literal spot-on link for me! My machine has so much dirt I considered a rototiller to start the process. I'm Probably gonna remove most, but not all hardware to get down deeper but my skill lvl and patience is limited so I fear creating a situation where I have to pay for tech to fix my goofs. Game has a few other issues to fix but no serious problems. Maybe I'll try to do some regular updates and pics as I go along but will certainly post more before/after pics when complete. Pics below are taken through glass as you may suspect.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see you’re new!
Welcome to Pinside and the pinball cult!!

First rule, that High Speed is NOT HUO. It’s almost near impossible, with that level of dirt I’d say it was bought from an operator and then someone let it sit and played it occasionally and never did any service or shop job.

Good luck with it! This your first game?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I see you’re new!
Welcome to Pinside and the pinball cult!!
First rule, that High Speed is NOT HUO. It’s almost near impossible, with that level of dirt I’d say it was bought from an operator and then someone let it sit and played it occasionally and never did any service or shop job.
Good luck with it! This your first game?

Pretty new, yes! I originally only wanted 1 pin (Embryon) and now, 4 pins later, here I am... Thanks for the opinion on the game history. Its not too important to me other than the back-story since the game seems in pretty decent shape. The seller indicated it had been in a man-cave for several decades and as you observed, never received any care. I have not played it but a few minutes so once its clean I'll discover other issues I'm sure. I'm already searching out mods and as grizlyrig suggested I think I will replace with white rubbers. Now, if only I could get a hold of the prototype mountain dimensions...

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from hogzillaman:

Pretty new, yes! I originally only wanted 1 pin (Embryon) and now, 4 pins later, here I am... Thanks for the opinion on the game history. Its not too important to me other than the back-story since the game seems in pretty decent shape. The seller indicated it had been in a man-cave for several decades and as you observed, never received any care. I have not played it but a few minutes so once its clean I'll discover other issues I'm sure. I'm already searching out mods and as grizlyrig suggested I think I will replace with white rubbers. Now, if only I could get a hold of the prototype mountain dimensions...

Haha yes in this hobby you never stop at just 1 machine

I'd suggest giving it a good clean, replacing the rubbers and new balls (the old ones will most likely be pitted/rusty and will damage the playfield). Then it'll be playable and you can start working on any issues - build a shopping list of the things you need to save on shipping, otherwise you'll be continually running back and forth to the suppliers.

2 weeks later
#7 3 years ago

Finally found some time to do some removal of parts and get better pics. Of course the more I research, the more I find that HS2 appears to be the most popular machine for buying off route, then letting it sit around with no cleaning or maintenance. I think I've encountered at least 3 other threads of machines with the same darn issues and condition! So ya, sorry all if this is a bit redundant but maybe someone will find some value (other than me).

After this, I will post a few pics of my first stage cleaning and then hopefully get a bit of advice. I have a lot more pics but will post the most telling. If anyone, for whatever reason, wants to see something else, I may have a pic.

And ya, Isochronic_Frost this is definitely NOT an HUO machine. I think I misunderstood the seller and think your assessment is spot on.

Ball tracks (resized).jpgBall tracks (resized).jpgHmm (resized).jpgHmm (resized).jpgbumperfield (resized).jpgbumperfield (resized).jpgcenter field (resized).jpgcenter field (resized).jpgfilth 1 (resized).jpgfilth 1 (resized).jpgfilth 2 (resized).jpgfilth 2 (resized).jpgrustly rail (resized).jpgrustly rail (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago

First of course, you'll notice in the first pic that the game is already paying for itself!
Attached are pics after first cleaning and are just of some areas where you can possibly see the difference before/after. Especially pic 8 noting the clean swath across the graphic bridge and inserts.

Last night I discovered I did not have any non-abrasive cleaners so for better or worse, I grabbed a bottle of Vinegar and damped and cloth. I got to cleaning after stripping off some of the bigger parts. It worked pretty well! Granted, I think plain water would have taken most of this stuff off...

Today I got a hold of a bottle of 'new formula' Bleche-White and some Purple Power for comparison. Both seem to be about as effective as the other and the vinegar. I also recalled having some auto interior cleaner and after checking the ingredients, decided I would sample a few hidden areas. It did not appear to have any adverse effects but was not as effective at cleaning. Per advice by others, I let the B-W sit for about 5-10 and I think soaking helped a bit. I have to say, the PF is vastly better than it was but certainly lacking luster and shine.

Based on the pics 2-5 here are some questions and query for advice.

Question 1: The ball tracks are not coming up even with light scraping with a razor in hidden areas. Should I learn to live with this or is there still hope? Pretty sure I do not want to completely redo the field. I've seen discussion about TC (treasure cove) kit but they are sold out and I'm skeptical they will be restocked soon. I am considering some mild or final stage auto care products recalling advice that I should avoid petroleum based products so I need to read labels. I have not tried magic eraser yet but I'm skeptical it will do much better.

Question 2: Looking at some of the pics, does anyone opine that I am down to wood and attempting to salvage the DC is fruitless effort? The ripples I am seeing in a few areas have me concerned. These aren't bad, and wont affect (my) game-play but I'd appreciate an opinion on where to go from here. The PF is dull when compared to non-exposed areas.

Question 3: Does this amount of yellowing merit new plastics? Some are a bit warped, but not bad.

I have ordered a few mods, white replacement rubbers, new balls, a few misc parts, and am ready to order replacement LED lights throughout. Only a few bulbs are expired but noting how much disassembly is required to replace some of them, figured now is the time to do this.

Overall I am pretty happy with progress but I'm a noob so the thrill is a bit higher on my scale than most of you soured pros. Thanks all for listening in any case.

1 25x my 2cents worth (resized).jpg1 25x my 2cents worth (resized).jpg2 crackling (resized).jpg2 crackling (resized).jpg3-plastics (resized).jpg3-plastics (resized).jpg4-damage (resized).jpg4-damage (resized).jpg5-ball tracks (resized).jpg5-ball tracks (resized).jpgclean CF (resized).jpgclean CF (resized).jpgcleaned bummerfield (resized).jpgcleaned bummerfield (resized).jpgcomparison (resized).jpgcomparison (resized).jpgsample cleaning (resized).jpgsample cleaning (resized).jpgsmple clean (resized).jpgsmple clean (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Quit rubbing random cleaners on the playfield. Order some novus1 and 2 the big bottles. Take it easy with the novus2 when using on the play field. Mainly use novus 1. You can only do so much to this playfield to make it better. Order a good wax like blitz. No cleaner wax! You can try novus 1 on the plastics. No reason to use it on the painted underside. The yellowing on the plastics might come of with novus1. If it doesn’t just live with it. No reason to use a razor blade. Your asking for damage if you do. Get it good enough play and enjoy!

#10 3 years ago

Ya, understood... i've got some novus coming. Admittedly i'm suffering from pinside tmi and curiosity.

1 month later
#11 3 years ago

pretty much finished with cleanup and close with the partial refurb. Curse me or not, I honestly did not see a lot of improvements using Novus 1 or 2 or any of the other cleaning products which I sampled on tough spots and areas under plastics. What came off with Vinegar was as much as anything else was able to accomplish. Short of a complete tear-down and having unhindered access to the PF surface, I would not personally shy away from using a decent, high end auto care product (for modern auto finishes) on a PF for maintenance. This Diamond Plate coating is tough! I am not going to advocate for grabbing your Griot's car care kit, but I don't think you will do any harm to a machine with DP or newer finishes if you do. Likewise, I am going to use the Novus on my plastic headlights to see how well it works. After all, it's really nothing magical other than being a plastic/acrylic cleaning product. I think the real scrutiny in product selection is on pre-90s machines where only time will know if your product is slowly fading, yellowing, or eating away at these older coatings. For those, I think Novus is likely a safe bet if only due to the bevy of game owners who employ and recommend it.

As for the rest of the machine, I replaced plastics with the kit from Marcos and am in process of trading out all the bulbs with LEDs. Was going to buy all the bulbs on Ali Express where they are dirt cheap and probably the same as avail on Amazon, but I don't have enough patience to wait for the literal 'slow boat from china'. Opted to just buy packs of various colors as opposed the the many presorted packages avail. I figure the extras can be used somewhere or another machine and in the long run it was a few bucks cheaper as well.

I did buy a few mods from @Tantrum (3D mountain and donut heaven) who has some great looking items. Looks good, nice lighting options, and quick turn around and easy install. so kudos to him.

The latest items were to determine the problem with the upper right flipper and launcher which were both weak. Long story short which also involved a lot of Easter-egging for solutions, I noticed the actual armature post of the launcher was different than the parts being listed on Marco. I ordered, and sure enough, completely different length and design. This led me to check out the actual numbers on the coils for both of these assemblies. Yep, someone just shoved a different and under-powered coil on both of these. Soldered on new coils (and replaced other parts), now all is working great! See attached pics of the 'before' coils and the 'after' plunger armature. I'm hoping this is what the plunger is supposed to look like.

All that is left on the list are a new DMD which I am hoping to acquire from a friend for a reasonable fee, and to check on a few switches that seem to be giving test error codes and possible causing an occasional system reset. I'm hoping nothing major.

20210116_174955 (resized).jpg20210116_174955 (resized).jpg20210121_182332 (resized).jpg20210121_182332 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

Late to the game but Go Jo Hand Cleaner(NO PUMICE)works great to clean pf if very dirty to start with.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/filthy-getaway-hs2-machine-that-works-but-mandisgusting-pf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.