• Latest reply 4 years ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Making progress with my Gottlieb King Pin. Rebuilt all four flippers but one doesn't work. Swapped coil with a good one but no help. Tension of the spring is OK (compared with the other three.) It just will not pull in but moves freely by hand. Any suggestions?

#2 4 years ago

Have you filed and adjusted the EOS switch for that flipper? If the Eos switch is new, you may need to file it to get some residue off the contacts. Are you sure it's wired correctly?

#3 4 years ago

Well...all four switches were new. When I shorted the one in question the coil pulled! I tightened the contacts and it works! Thanks so much for your help.

As an aside, the King Pin schematic shows six places for "3-5 Ball Adj." But for the life of me I cannot find any physical adjustments. Would you have any idea what's going on?

#4 4 years ago

Nice! Glad it was an easy fix. That adjustment is likely a Jones plug somewhere, possibly in the backbox. It's often a matter of pulling a plug (it may even be a single pin) and plugging it into a different receptacle to toggle between 3-5 ball play.

#5 4 years ago

If the plug is not in the back box, look on the main board near the end where the coin box sits.

#6 4 years ago

According to the manual, the 3 - 5 ball adjustment is on the Bottom Panel.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 4 years ago

When you find it, it's obvious! Near the transformer, to the right of the 1st and 2nd Coin Chutes, is a female Jones connection with two rows of six jacks. But the male plug has only one row of six...just move the plugs over.

I don't want to overstay my welcome but the reason I have been looking for this is that the reset/start sequence seems to run OK except that the Ball Count Unit doesn't rotate to the first ball. I have to manual move it and then the playfield is OK.

Any suggestions?

#8 4 years ago

I should have added there looks like two possible paths to increment the Add Ball Count Unit: (1) Motor 1A > Sw O, or (2) Through the Trough Switch and et al.

#9 4 years ago

Can you increment and reset the ball count unit? I'm not familiar with your particular game, but i know on ones I've worked on, there's usually a coil that steps the unit forward one increment at a time and another coil that resets the unit (it springs back to a reset/home position). It might be gummed up or something, causing it not to rotate back to it's reset/home position.

Can you post some pics of the unit in question?

#10 4 years ago

I took apart the unit and it works great as I manually move the coils by hand. The start sequence resets the unit but then doesn't move the arm to the first ball. I think that I need to really understand the whole start sequence first.

One question, since the add is a pulse from the score motor to the Ball Count Unit, would I need an oscilloscope to see the pulse; a voltage meter really wouldn't work for the short duration of the pulse?

#11 4 years ago

Ahhh, i gotcha. Do you have the schematic for the game? If so, could you post some pics of it?

I gotta admit, I'm not sure how much further I'll be able to help with this problem but hopefully one of the resident EM gurus can pick up from here and get you to the finish line. We're getting into more-or-less uncharted territory for me. Still, many problems with EMs ultimately boil down to a broken, dirty, or mis-adjusted switch (or wire broken off a switch or coil)...so maybe we'll get lucky and figure it out anyway

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from redrock:

I should have added there looks like two possible paths to increment the Add Ball Count Unit: (1) Motor 1A > Sw O, or (2) Through the Trough Switch and et al.

Did you check these switches? You can turn the score motor manually to watch how they operate when the motor turns (with the game off for safety). Even a visual inspection might reveal a switch in need of adjustment. Sometimes those switches are buried on those score motors, so it may be tricky to get a good look at the switch(es) in question.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks frunch, you have been most helpful. The switches are hard to see and I have turned the motor but have not really checked each switch -- which I can do with a meter. So that will be my next step, along with better understanding the start sequence.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from redrock:

Thanks frunch, you have been most helpful. The switches are hard to see and I have turned the motor but have not really checked each switch -- which I can do with a meter. So that will be my next step, along with better understanding the start sequence.

You're most welcome! Be careful checking those switches with a meter, sometimes they'll give false readings because they're wired in with other switches that may provide another path to the other side of the switch (not always though). Either way, it sounds like you're on the right track! You'll have this fixed before you know it.

#15 4 years ago

Another tip: the whole score motor/relay board on the bottom of the cabinet can usually be removed for easier access. With the playfield propped back against the backbox (or removed entirely), you will need to unplug any Jones plugs that plug into it the board from the playfield & backbox, remove a couple big bolts that attach it to the bottom of the cab, then carefully lift the whole thing out to service it on a table or work bench. (Not sure if you already knew that, but it's very useful info in case you don't )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/filpper-not-working?hl=redrock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.