(Topic ID: 324066)

Filler or paint looking wood

By Williampinball

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi all what does people use too fill holes that looks like the PF wood on top side or paint that looks like wood too blend in any ideas thanks

#3 1 year ago

I have that stuff but when its dry it doesn't match the wood look it goes too a darker tone so maybe what I am looking for is a paint too make it look closer too a PF wood with clear over it

#4 1 year ago

If you can get a scan of the wood you can use this to get a close match then tweak it: https://www.goldenpaints.com/mixer

You may have to paint the patch white first to provide a uniform base.

Depending on the patch, using a tapered maple plug might be another option.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

If you can get a scan of the wood you can use this to get a close match then tweak it: https://www.goldenpaints.com/mixer
    You may have to paint the patch white first to provide a uniform base.
    Depending on the patch, using a tapered maple plug might be another option.

Ok great thanks for the help ,it's the wood like on a Popeye machine so it's the plan wood with just clear over it

#6 1 year ago

I found it much harder to match wood than I thought. The golden mixer helped; but when you look closely at wood it is not a uniform colour.

Another option might be to create a decal by scanning the existing wood.

Still, depends on the size of area you are trying to repair, how visible it is when playing, etc.

#7 1 year ago

Here's a link to an HEP post where he shows a process he used in fixing a hole in a shooter lane...might give you some ideas.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/216#post-6833146

#8 1 year ago

Still hoping for a picture -- is this actual wood, or is the wood of the ship's deck part of the artwork?

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

I found it much harder to match wood than I thought. The golden mixer helped; but when you look closely at wood it is not a uniform colour.
    Another option might be to create a decal by scanning the existing wood.
    Still, depends on the size of area you are trying to repair, how visible it is when playing, etc.

Yes it's up closer too top left side so you don't really see it unless your looking at it lol

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from setzkor:

Here's a link to an HEP post where he shows a process he used in fixing a hole in a shooter lane...might give you some ideas.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/216#post-6833146

Thanks bud

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Still hoping for a picture -- is this actual wood, or is the wood of the ship's deck part of the artwork?

It's the ship deck it self

#12 1 year ago

Once upon a time, I went under the house to drill a hole in the corner of the living room floor, to run speaker cables. Well, it sure is hard to tell where the walls are from under the house. Also, I am directionally challenged. I ended up drilling a 1” hole in the very center of my nice 1950s oak floor.

The floor fixer guy pretty much cut & glued a dowel in place, leaving it to me to make it look decent. At least he left me some clear. Here is what I did and I recommend it to you.

Take a good picture of the natural board or the design you want to match to a good art supply shop. Ask them what colors you'll need to match it up. You'll paint the area with a main color, then make grain marks or board marks with the other colors and a teensy brush. It’ll fool the eye well enough. Try it on scrap wood first, of course.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Once upon a time, I went under the house to drill a hole in the corner of the living room floor, to run speaker cables. Well, it sure is hard to tell where the walls are from under the house. Also, I am directionally challenged. I ended up drilling a 1” hole in the very center of my nice 1950s oak floor.
    The floor fixer guy pretty much cut & glued a dowel in place, leaving it to me to make it look decent. At least he left me some clear. Here is what I did and I recommend it to you.
    Take a good picture of the natural board or the design you want to match to a good art supply shop. Ask them what colors you'll need to match it up. You'll paint the area with a main color, then make grain marks or board marks with the other colors and a teensy brush. It’ll fool the eye well enough. Try it on scrap wood first, of course.

Yes thanks so much I already just tryied on something else and play with all the paints too make it as close then the clear will change the look also ,I have done many in the passed but the wood look is the hardest too get good but should be good thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/filler-or-paint-looking-wood- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.