(Topic ID: 183002)

Filed my taxes- I'de rather be playing pinball!

By Pinballlew

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PSU14
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Ok just finished filing my taxes....I hate them. Five hours of my life I can't get back. It is just unfair and waited to those that exploit all the loop holes. I don't know why they just don't have a straight consumption tax across the board. Pay taxes on what you consume. Ok sorry had to get it off my chest and release the frustration to the pinball gods...thanks for letting me vent.

Going to eat now so I guess I will play when I get back!

#2 2 years ago

#3 2 years ago

If we had a simple tax code, who would pay for a tax attorney or goto hr block. Too much business supporting a complicated system

#4 2 years ago

I'll support a flat tax when we annex the Cayman Islands.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Ok just finished filing my taxes....I hate them. Five hours of my life I can't get back. It is just unfair and waited to those that exploit all the loop holes. I don't know why they just don't have a straight consumption tax across the board. Pay taxes on what you consume. Ok sorry had to get it off my chest and release the frustration to the pinball gods...thanks for letting me vent.
    Going to eat now so I guess I will play when I get back!

I just hope you got enough tax money back to where you can go buy yourself a new pinball machine! I can't get that lucky though being single with no kids. They really ream me good.....Mother Truckers!!

Ok sorry, I had to get that off my chest also......

#6 2 years ago

The tax code really needs to be simplified, but a flat tax would be a tremendous burden on low and middle-income taxpayers. You can have a progressive tax code that is still simple, but as mentioned before, wealthy folks and accounts love those loopholes.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Radagast:

The tax code really needs to be simplified, but a flat tax would be a tremendous burden on low and middle-income taxpayers. You can have a progressive tax code that is still simple, but as mentioned before, wealthy folks and accounts love those loopholes.

Couldn't be any more of a burden than it is right now. I pay out the Azz!

#8 2 years ago

I wish mine only took me five hours. Self employed here with a business and rental properties on the side. My wife is employed so her W2s take 5 minutes. Seems like my stuff takes days. I'd happily pay more taxes to have it be more simplified and fair for all. Will never happen in my lifetime though.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I wish mine only took me five hours. Self employed here with a business and rental properties on the side. My wife is employed so her W2s take 5 minutes. Seems like my stuff takes days. I'd happily pay more taxes to have it be more simplified and fair for all. Will never happen in my lifetime though.

Yea im hiring someone to do mine bc im in same situation as you.... not worth my time lol

#10 2 years ago

Every year I take all my tax stuff to my tax guy and he does all three of them in under 10 minutes. He's been doing my stuff for over 30 years and has everything on file so it's easy for him. I'm in and out of there before the seat even gets a chance to warm up. We'll worth his price for the time and headache it saves me each year. Last year I found out that he's a pinball guy and has three games and is looking to get rid of them...., I see us making a deal in the near furture....so you never know sometimes.

John

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea im hiring someone to do mine bc im in same situation as you.... not worth my time lol

Every year I just get my accountant to prepare and lodge my returns for both company and personal and then claim the entire event as a cost of managing tax affairs deduction.

I deal with enough of other people's financial paperwork already in my day job and like you said, it just isn't worth your time particularly when you aren't being paid for it.

#12 2 years ago

I usually am forced to sell 3 or 4 desirable pins to help pay 38 percent Federal rate and nearly 12 percent State of Virginia. This year sell line up is probably TZ, Ironman with mods 2010 version, Spider-Man.
    I wish it coukd be simpler but a flat tax is not fair. I am lucky to have a business that does well abd selling pins to many great Pinsider has been a joy. I save every gas ticket possible but if you sell a bunch you are gonna pay a bunch for the year by March 15 if incorporated as I am under Mountain Entertainment Inc AKA doughslingers. It's been great meeting face to face or at shows or talking to you and sending the delivery guys. I just wish our hard earned tax dollars were better spent by the government on roads and schools instead of other things.

Oh well venting over proud to live in America.

#13 2 years ago

I will edit my post. Didn't mean to push the topic towards flat vs progressive. I believe "simple" is a better word for the point

#14 2 years ago

I'm so glad that my buddy is a chartered accountant, I just gotta get everything together, then they work their magic. Work expenses, child care deductions, rental property income, ect. It's a little more complicated then I like. I could do them, but it's petter to pay a professional and not screw it up.

#15 2 years ago

For anyone unaware, the main problem with a flat tax is that, whatever the percentage, it takes a bigger bite out of people on the lower end of the financial ladder. Ten percent of $24k hurts way more than ten percent of $2.4 million, as an example, because poorer people spend a higher percentage of their income on necessities. It just comes out kinda wonky and I think that aspect gets overlooked.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

For anyone unaware, the main problem with a flat tax is that, whatever the percentage, it takes a bigger bite out of people on the lower end of the financial ladder. Ten percent of $24k hurts way more than ten percent of $2.4 million, as an example, because poorer people spend a higher percentage of their income on necessities. It just comes out kinda wonky and I think that aspect gets overlooked.

Just tax people whenever they flush the toilet, that'd be evenly distributed, regardless of wealth. That's where your tax money is going anyway.

#17 2 years ago

I would rather be buying pins

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Just tax people whenever they flush the toilet, that'd be evenly distributed, regardless of wealth. That's where your tax money is going anyway.

Haha, I think Urinetown was a satire, not a suggestion!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Disagree - Flat tax is fine and fair - the way it currently works, the very wealth have so many loopholes they don't pay as much % wise as the typical middle class.

#20 2 years ago

I just did mine while at work. No time wasted at home. One of the things I like about my job.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I don't disagree. I used it as an example because it is the simplest form. The more straightforward taxes are, the harder it is to justify the tax "business". I probably should have taken a couple extra seconds to write my first post

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside