Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-11-18 11.09.29 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

http://www.actionpinball.com/pics/fh_traplane.jpg

Anyone know the purpose of the Funhouse trap door lane plastic? I am doing a playfield transfer and mine is busted. I could buy / make a new one, but would not bother if it is not needed.

2016-11-18 11.09.29 (resized).jpg2016-11-18 11.09.29 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

To keep the trap door down in shipping. Not needed. Hard to get out so they were usually left in to break off.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

To keep the trap door down in shipping. Not needed. Hard to get out so they were usually left in to break off.

Actually no, it doesn't extend all the way over the door, only to the spot where the hinge is attached, so it won't keep the trap door closed in shipping. It is used in case of a slow ball from the left orbit doesn't make it all the way around and forces the ball into rudys hideout, instead of triggering the switch, which could open the trap door and fling the ball straight up into the glass. It needs to be in. Every Funhouse should have it in place.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Actually no, it doesn't extend all the way over the door,

Interesting. His looked broken off on the end opposite of his hand.

I had an early Funhouse when it came out, and my game didn't have that.

Thank you.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thank you.

It may have been added in later? Every Funhouse I have ever worked on has it, and the end for the trap door is machined for the hinge. Seems silly (and a waste of money) to do that if it was meant to be removed, and I haven't ever seen it mentioned in the manual to remove it prior to play either.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thank you.

You are correct. The end opposite my hand was broken off. That is the 'machined' end, where the machined part - it is thinner than the rest of the plastic, was underneath the hinge.

Interesting theory about its purpose and it sounds correct. However, I did have a ball not make it all the way up to the end of the plastic, and it rolled back into the open trap door and sat there until the door closed.

Later software has some sort of 'smart trap door' setting, I believe. I always thought that was intended to correct that problem of the ball hanging up against the trap door hinge.

I suspect I can make one out of two sheets of plastic and glue it together. The machined end part would be the slightly longer lower sheet. That would be easy for me to do. But countersinking the screws and then cutting the slot for the switch is something I have not tried. For $20, it might be worth it to buy one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fh-trap-door-lane-plastic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.