IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0949c.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I've been working on a FH restore for a friend in the Sacramento Pinball Group (SPG), and I've been sharing some semi-regular updates with SPG, but I thought I'd share a few pics with Pinside. I started this project in December, and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I hope to be finished within the next few weeks! If you're interested in seeing all the pics so far, you can follow the link to my flickr account: http://tinyurl.com/88su47n

IMG_0949c.jpgIMG_0949c.jpg IMG_0952.JPGIMG_0952.JPG IMG_0979.JPGIMG_0979.JPG

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Looks great and you did a solid job on the cab and decals. How did the touch up go for the wear spot by the kick out hole?

Thanks! The touch up in front of the scoop hole was easy! It was replaced with a repro pf from IPB! This is a full pf swap.

#7 11 years ago

Can you post a before picture here?
Robert

Here are three before pics, but there are a bunch in the link I provided. I didn't want to post them all here because there are 50+.

IMG_0767.JPGIMG_0767.JPG IMG_0768.JPGIMG_0768.JPG IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0840.JPG

#12 11 years ago

The decals were purchased from Gene (Illinois Pinball) at the PPE show last fall.

The paint is a PPG product in oil-base gloss. A mom and pop paint store did a custom match for me. It blends very well, but it's not exact. From one angle it looks darker, from another angle it looks lighter, and other times it looks perfect. I think that has a lot to do with the gloss.

I don't have the code, but the paint store has my color on file. The problem with sharing codes and FH blue matches is the decals are not always the same color. Another friend of mine in SPG brought his decals to my house, and they were different. My blue paint wasn't going to work for him.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I took a look at the pictures, great work!
I'm getting ready to do my first cabinet repair - few questions.
I strip the old decal/paint, sand, fill the holes, sand again, prime, paint, and then decals are applied.
Correct?

Everyone's methods are different, but that's the basics of it. I do the following:

1. strip
2. remove adhesive
3. fill large holes/edges/corners with Bondo
4. sand
5. prime
6. fill small holes with wood filler
7. sand/prime again
8. paint
9. scuff sand areas getting decals

#18 11 years ago

Here's a pic of the underside of the playfield before the harnesses are re-installed.

IMG_1061.JPGIMG_1061.JPG

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Sparky, I'm hoping you can help me since you're in the middle of this; by the pops there's a hole for what I believe to be post that should have a rubbe on it. This is the area:
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/8903/phuppimagedi.jpg

Nutty, here's a pic of the same area. Looks like the post broke off in the t-nut, which is under the subway.

IMG_1062.JPGIMG_1062.JPG

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

What is the best surface to apply the decals? Paint that has been sanded? I assume you spray the paint on? Is this the only way to apply the paint, or if you use decals can you get away with some other appliation?

If you have the set-up for HVLP, that would probably be best. I use a quart of oil-based semi with foam rollers. For the areas getting decals, one coat with a scuff sand it sufficient. For the areas exposed, at least two coats with a scuff sand between is necessary.

The quarts are about $12 - $15 and will do the entire cabinet. If you spray with rattle cans, it will take 6 - 8 cans at $4+ each. The exposed areas will have sheen striping because the spray paint dries too fast. You get a wet edge on a dry edge, and the sheen will be different. In small areas, you won't notice, like the front of the head, but the back of the head or interior panels won't look very good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.95
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fh-restoration-progress?tu=Sparky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.