• Latest reply 3 years ago by yzfguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7145 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Always nervous after totally rebuilding a game. This is about my 5th or 6th and I am always petrified hitting the power switch for the first time. Well no smoke or flames thankfully, but this is all I am getting on the display. Must have something plugged in wrong. I am checking my pics, anyone have a clue?

Thanks

IMG_7145 (resized).JPGIMG_7145 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Ribbon cables off one row by chance?

#3 3 years ago

Close Chad, the long ribbon cable was flipped on one end. Now I get the bottom display on, but the top one does not work. It worked prior to the restore. I see a crack in the glass of the very right end of the top display. Will a display work with the glass cracked? I am thinking it was already cracked before the restore and I just didn't notice it, but not 100% sure. I did not drop it or bump it hard at any time.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Will a display work with the glass cracked?

Usually not. Looks like your first post shows it had life.

With power off, reseat both ends of the display ribbon cable again.

#5 3 years ago

I reset all ribbon cables. The bottom display works fine. The top not at all. Just trying to determine if it is shot because of the crack in the glass or I have another problem.

Thanks

#6 3 years ago

Looks like your first post shows it had life, even though the ribbon cable was plugged in wrong at that time. That suggest there is a data problem. Did you reset the short ribbon cable on the back of the display?

#7 3 years ago

Your right, I forgot about the digit being lit in the pic. I did reset all of the ribbon cables to the display. The long and the two short ones.

#8 3 years ago

Probably best to see if you can test the display in another FH or a BOP. They use the same display. Hopefully you have a local pinball friend you can visit to test it out.

Plugging in the ribbon cable in wrong usually doesn't damage the display.

#9 3 years ago

Because both lines light (though incorrectly) I think the “crack” you mentioned is not the issue.
Check out Pinscore if you settle on a new one though. My best suggestion (I don’t have the resto experience you have) is that it is any one of the ribbon cables. Try re-seating them all. Check the diagnostics menu for errors. Check all fuses for continuity. Look at MPU and other pertinent boards for a burn mark or corrosion on the components. Try a new ribbon cable connecting to the display.

My FH did all kinds of crazy things in the display and some resets when the resistors below the batteries were corroded. Bought new MPU board with chip (said bye to the batteries). Problem expensively solved, but corrosion will recur even if well cleaned/repaired, so I went there when I saw the problem.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Probably best to see if you can test the display in another FH or a BOP. They use the same display. Hopefully you have a local pinball friend you can visit to test it out.
Plugging in the ribbon cable in wrong usually doesn't damage the display.

I forgot I had a display from when I converted my BOP to a 2.0. Put that in and it fired right up. Not sure what happened with my FH display. Worked perfect before I tore the game down and it was treated with kid gloves the whole time.

Thanks guys!

#11 3 years ago

After all of this stress, you must be exhausted ... What time should I be there to pick up funhouse?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fh-first-bootup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.