(Topic ID: 96096)

FH, Corvette, and TZ cabinets Thanks Paul at Virtuapin !!!

By stephenshane237

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4769.JPG
IMG_4634.JPG
IMG_4549.JPG
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4524.JPG
CIMG1289.JPG
image-265.jpg
image-291.jpg
image-68.jpg
image-616.jpg
image-15.jpg
image-518.jpg
image-528.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_20140610_135608_194.jpg
IMG_20140610_135549_929.jpg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I'll be selling meteor and blackout for sure. I may sell or trade fireball ii, Judge Dredd, junkyard and black hole as well as one of my motorcycles. Waiting on a few parts for repairs here and there and contemplating what games interest me. Only one I don't want to let go is No Fear... love that game. Want to buy a blank Shadow cabinet and make a nice one.

I may be interested in your Jd game let me know

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Cabinet work is hard and not many do it right or have the facility to do it in. I like doing cabs because I can control the quality I want for my restorations.
I just got my new DH Sttng cab this week and have not pulled it out of the box to inspect it yet. I have heard good things about Doug , so I am sure it will be fine .
Restoring games with the cab all done ,makes life easy that is for sure.

I have done 6 cabinets and hated every minute of it, I usually do restores in the winter so it makes it tough. you will be very happy with your dh cabinet they are awesome he does great work, I just can't justify that much for a new cabinet on most restores.

#53 9 years ago

I don't like the cost either. I had to buy new because the last guys that tried to restore this screwed it up bad enough that a new cab was my only choice.

#54 9 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with the flat pack kits he sells? I was going to get one but I noticed on the drawing he provided there were 4 round vent holes on the back of the cab instead of the normal williams slots. This turned me off to his cabinets because it isn't original looking but I see the ones in your picture look correct so maybe I should give it a second look...

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

Does anyone have any experience with the flat pack kits he sells? I was going to get one but I noticed on the drawing he provided there were 4 round vent holes on the back of the cab instead of the normal williams slots. This turned me off to his cabinets because it isn't original looking but I see the ones in your picture look correct so maybe I should give it a second look...

I am pretty sure you can get the correct back in a flat pack cab from him

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from stephenshane237:

I am pretty sure you can get the correct back in a flat pack cab from him

Thanks, I'll email him!

#57 9 years ago

Yes.I just received a TAF flatpack and the back is correct.

#58 9 years ago

I'll probably be getting one of these to finish my TZ restore, thanks guys for the pictures of the product! I will probably ask for one made with a mdf bottom. I have a spare TZ cab to restore but the mdf bottom is not coming out as clean as I would like.

#59 9 years ago

they look great. Not a fan of decals, but if your cabinet is to far gone, it's your only choice.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they look great. Not a fan of decals, but if your cabinet is to far gone, it's your only choice.

A lot of these games were decals from the factory, right?

#61 9 years ago

'Corvette' has the loveliest cabinet artwork. A shame to push it into a corner and block one angle. Mine sits proudly, centre stage, in my main lounge room. Pride of place and always in use by my three daughters. They love it!!

Big boy's toys, like pinball, should be appreciated by the whole family. So glad they don't make Disney Princess units. I'd be forced to cough up for one tout de suite.

Enjoy the new units mate.

MrPink1974

#62 9 years ago

Corvette does look good can't wait to get my chrome in to see what it looks like.

#63 9 years ago

I bought the Tz cabinet for a future game but changed direction this cab is for sale if anyone wants it preferably close to pick it up for $900 I think from vp it's 1064 with all done let me know if anyone is interested if not I will just keep for a later date.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

A lot of these games were decals from the factory, right?

No they are not. Most are screened. Ones I know are decals are

Shadow
MB
AFM
atlantis

There are a few more but I can't think of them right now.

#65 9 years ago

AFM are not decals .

#66 9 years ago

you sure about that? could have swore I saw leg crinkle on AFM's before.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you sure about that? could have swore I saw leg crinkle on AFM's before.

I've seen leg crinkle on any game with loose legs ! Yes AFM is directly screen printed to wood .

#68 9 years ago

there it is then. some games had half screen printed and some decaled as well. Don't know if AFM was one of those or not tho. But seems so many were faded and restored, I wonder how many of them are NOT decalled anymore. Same would hold true for IJ and BSD. Many have been restored.

#69 9 years ago

So - Why is he not swamped building 250 Predator cabinets ?

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

He's just that damn good.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Hopefully he doesn't get swamped I need more cabs in the future !

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

um... because not all 250 are being done at one time...

#73 9 years ago

Do all his cabs come with the HD leg braces inside?

#74 9 years ago

#75 9 years ago

Stephen, Steve, and Aaron, thank you for the kind words and posting pics of your replacement cabinets. We strive to provide the restoration community with the absolute highest quality replacement cabinets at the absolute best price!

To answer a few questions I've seen throughout this topic ...

Quoted from TaylorVA:

is there any bevel to them or are they just straight cut? Are the edges touched up with black paint or is the white the edge of the decal?

They are trimmed at a 45 deg. angle down the corner, so they would be beveled. The white is the edge of the decal.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Is he providing the artwork? Is it licensed? Screened or inkjet? Does he have a site?

We purchase and retail ONLY licensed artwork. All of which is screened.

Quoted from mizzou:

Where did you get the FH decals from? I didn't see FH on the website.

Just because it's not listed doesn't mean we can't get it. A FH set would be $269.95, plus shipping. If we're applying them, shipping is FREE.

Quoted from CodyR:

Also, are the yellow letters on the back of the cab screened on or die cut vinyl letters?

Screened.

Quoted from 85vett:

My only thought now is if it would be worth the cash to have him build the cab, then ship it to someone to clear the cab and then ship it to my house. Clear may be overkill on the decals (if it can even be done right).

The Monster Bash previously posted was actually shipped to Back Alley, and when Matt saw it, he contacted Aaron and suggested to not clear it, as it was beautiful as is. He forwarded it directly, without clearing it.

I agree on the sharp line on the sides I will have the whole side painted to the bottom next time, not sure I care if it's mdf or plywood, as long as it's new.

We do custom work all the time, and something like that would be nothing extra. If you want full black sides or the hideous overspray of OEM, we're happy to accommodate. I feel the clear cut lines look the cleanest and the best.

Quoted from McCune:

Mdf will stay nice and smooth, plywood will produce slivers in a few years . MDF looks nicer as far as I am concerned. I have talked with Paul and he said he would build them anyway I wanted them made.

Thanks for sharing your new cabs .

Quoted from metahugh:

I'll probably be getting one of these to finish my TZ restore, thanks guys for the pictures of the product! I will probably ask for one made with a mdf bottom. I have a spare TZ cab to restore but the mdf bottom is not coming out as clean as I would like.

In my experience, we're mostly replacing cabinets with MDF that's falling apart, so we made the decision to go all plywood. It's more durable, with a much longer lifespan. The way we designed them, you'd only lose 1/4" depth inside the cabinet, and you'd have no need to span lumber to mount the heavier components. We are happy to build cabinets with 'fibercrap' bottoms and backs upon request.

Quoted from Joshmx19:

Due to the time and research involved in ensuring 100% accuracy, coupled with the fact that it takes longer to pack than it does to assemble, it's not feasible, from a business standpoint, to offer flatpacks on replacement cabinets. If you'd still like a flatpack to save on shipping, we're happy to accommodate at the 'Unfinished' cabinet pricing. I'll add the option to the site this weekend.

Quoted from TenaciousT:

As mentioned by Whysnow, we're doing them in batches, not all at once. No problem there.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Do all his cabs come with the HD leg braces inside?

Replacement offerings include backboxes, too, so not only are the New Style Leg Brackets included, so are the backbox hinges. It makes shipping much safer, as well. We are also fabricating all the backbox braces, and those, too, will be included.

Thank you, everyone, for all the interest and kind words. We really want to help make preservation of our revered hobby affordable and long lasting. I am happy to work with anyone on any aspect of a build, and I'm just a phone call away.

http://virtuapin.net/

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from NoahFentz:

Stephen, Steve, and Aaron, thank you for the kind words and posting pics of your replacement cabinets. We strive to provide the restoration community with the absolute highest quality replacement cabinets at the absolute best price!
To answer a few questions I've seen throughout this topic ...

They are trimmed at a 45 deg. angle down the corner, so they would be beveled. The white is the edge of the decal.

We purchase and retail ONLY licensed artwork. All of which is screened.

Just because it's not listed doesn't mean we can't get it. A FH set would be $269.95, plus shipping. If we're applying them, shipping is FREE.

Screened.

The Monster Bash previously posted was actually shipped to Back Alley, and when Matt saw it, he contacted Aaron and suggested to not clear it, as it was beautiful as is. He forwarded it directly, without clearing it.

We do custom work all the time, and something like that would be nothing extra. If you want full black sides or the hideous overspray of OEM, we're happy to accommodate. I feel the clear cut lines look the cleanest and the best.

In my experience, we're mostly replacing cabinets with MDF that's falling apart, so we made the decision to go all plywood. It's more durable, with a much longer lifespan. The way we designed them, you'd only lose 1/4" depth inside the cabinet, and you'd have no need to span lumber to mount the heavier components. We are happy to build cabinets with 'fibercrap' bottoms and backs upon request.

Due to the time and research involved in ensuring 100% accuracy, coupled with the fact that it takes longer to pack than it does to assemble, it's not feasible, from a business standpoint, to offer flatpacks on replacement cabinets. If you'd still like a flatpack to save on shipping, we're happy to accommodate at the 'Unfinished' cabinet pricing. I'll add the option to the site this weekend.

As mentioned by Whysnow, we're doing them in batches, not all at once. No problem there.

Replacement offerings include backboxes, too, so not only are the New Style Leg Brackets included, so are the backbox hinges. It makes shipping much safer, as well. We are also fabricating all the backbox braces, and those, too, will be included.
Thank you, everyone, for all the interest and kind words. We really want to help make preservation of our revered hobby affordable and long lasting. I am happy to work with anyone on any aspect of a build, and I'm just a phone call away.
http://virtuapin.net/

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will be giving you a call to discuss. Personally I would ultimately be fine with the plywood bottom but I like the cross support for the transformer, seems like it would give a wide body cabinet more structural stability.

I have a set of Phoenix Arcade screened decals I would want to use. To those that know me, yes I would be totally wimping out by buying a ready to go cabinet, but the worry of destroying my nice decals is a bit too much since no one makes screened TZ decals anymore

#77 9 years ago

Not wimping out just not wanting to go through the cabinet refinishing process I am done making a mess of the garage I got overspray from a cabinet all over my Ferrari sitting in the garage and then I was done with cab work never again !

#78 9 years ago

If you still had the Ferrari I would have kept it for you. You know just to keep it from getting dusty.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

If you still had the Ferrari I would have kept it for you. You know just to keep it from getting dusty.

The Stingray is a way better car, as you know !

#80 9 years ago

I got overspray from a cabinet all over my Ferrari sitting in the garage

You had a Ferrari in the same garage you were painting in ? I don't feel sorry for you !

If you can afford a Ferrari, you can afford a new facility to work in .

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You had a Ferrari in the same garage you were painting in ? I don't feel sorry for you !
If you can afford a Ferrari, you can afford a new facility to work in .

Affording the facility isn't the problem but I live on a golf course and can't build a workshop on the property, that's why I went with new cabs, and I hated the Ferrari btw

#83 9 years ago

Affording the facility isn't the problem but I live on a golf course and can't build a workshop on the property, that's why I went with new cabs, and I hated the Ferrari btw

I was just being a smart ass !

#84 9 years ago

Not wimping out just not wanting to go through the cabinet refinishing process I am done making a mess of the garage I got overspray from a cabinet all over my Ferrari sitting in the garage and then I was done with cab work never again !

My wimp out comment was aimed solely at myself

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

My wimp out comment was aimed solely at myself

I don't blame someone for going the new cabinet way. It is so much work to get a cabinet right, that the labor alone pays for the new cab. The only reason I will still do as many as I can, is I want the money paid in labor to me and I can have a cab that fits the exact way I want it to be.

Most people just don't have the means to do a cabinet and working in a car garage just plain sucks if it does not have climate control or have the correct ventilation to paint in .

So Paul and Doug are great for making the weekend warrior a lot more sane with ready to go high quality cabinets !

These pictures are a cab that I reworked.

IMG_4524.JPGIMG_4524.JPG IMG_4526.JPGIMG_4526.JPG IMG_4549.JPGIMG_4549.JPG IMG_4634.JPGIMG_4634.JPG IMG_4769.JPGIMG_4769.JPG
#86 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I don't blame someone for going the new cabinet way. It is so much work to get a cabinet right, that the labor alone pays for the new cab. The only reason I will still do as many as I can, is I want the money paid in labor to me and I can have a cab that fits the exact way I want it to be.
Most people just don't have the means to do a cabinet and working in a car garage just plain sucks if it does not have climate control or have the correct ventilation to paint in .
So Paul and Doug are great for making the weekend warrior a lot more sane with ready to go high quality cabinets !
These pictures are a cab that I reworked.

You have definitely perfected your cabinet work Jim, you have put a lot of effort and practice into your work and it shows in the final product. Besides having the right place to work in (love that paint booth area you have to work in) I feel a big part is experience. You have to be willing to mess up which is difficult for me with these expensive decals. There were some great ideas earlier in this thread to get decal material from a sign shop. I'm very much back and forth with this thing. Being a perfectionist sucks.

1 month later
#87 9 years ago

I saw the Monster Bash cabinet first hand at Back Alley's the night it was delivered and that thing was a work of art. It did not need to be cleared whatsoever........Paul does some beautiful work!

2 weeks later
#88 9 years ago

Just ordered a Scared Stiff cabinet from Paul. I'll post pics soon. Great guy to deal with. Answered all my questions and called me back when I left a message pronto. -Joe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 85.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fh-corvette-and-tz-cabinets-thanks-paul-at-virtuapin/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.