• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3f834e268adf2779b3f844e6c3b88876986ec66f (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi Pinsiders!

I have a question about the coils which move the (open / close) eyelids of Rudy. If you have serviced Rudy's head before this is a question for you.
Somebody told me the manual contains false information about the type of coils in the mechanism.
The manual describes using 30-1100 (usually red) coils only in Rudy's head (2 for open and closing eyelids, 2 for moving the eyes). For controlling the eyelids one coil is mounted horizontal and the other one vertical. One of those should be a 31-900 (usually blue) coil. My question is should this one be mounted horizontal or vertical?
Thanks!

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Maxi_jazz:

My question is should this one be mounted horizontal or vertical?

Isn't there a drawing in the manual showing which way ?

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

Thanks! I had a look at the manual before. In the picture you see that both vertical and horizontal coils have the number 11, which refer to 30-1100 coils. The thing is that according to my information all FH machines were delivered (flaw in the manual) with one 31-900 coil and one 30-1100 coil (one mounted horizontal and one vertical) What I don't know which one needs mounted where and if it makes any difference on the reliability.

#5 2 years ago

3 red coils one blue coil

3f834e268adf2779b3f844e6c3b88876986ec66f (resized).jpg3f834e268adf2779b3f844e6c3b88876986ec66f (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

Thanks! Exactly what I needed.

1 week later
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

[quoted image]

I just put everything together, also replaced transistor Q22 and checked the diode, but the blue coil continuosly overheats. Any ideas?

Quoted from zerbam:

[quoted image]

#8 2 years ago

If it is overheating it MUST have voltage across it therefore there is probably something wrong with the driver circuitry, transistors, predrivers or logic. It isn't the coil, that's just a length of wire and it won't overheat by itself.

#9 2 years ago

I usually add 1 amp slow blow fuse inline with the coil power to the eyelid coils. I add near the head assy under the pf. I do this on Funhouse and roadshow. Ive seen when the coil or driver fails for the eyelid coils it will not blow the 3 amp fuse on the driver board until too much damage is done. This can be burnt coils or worse scenerio of a burned hole in the driver board.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I usually add 1 amp slow blow fuse inline with the coil power to the eyelid coils. I add near the head assy under the pf. I do this on Funhouse and roadshow. Ive seen when the coil or driver fails for the eyelid coils it will not blow the 3 amp fuse on the driver board until too much damage is done. This can be burnt coils or worse scenerio of a burned hole in the driver board.

Thanks for this suggestion, will do this after I found the cause. I replaced the blue (horizontal coil for the eye lid closing mechanism) and the transistor, but unfortunately after a few tests the blue coil is burned again. (Diode is still fine) Any ideas where to look? (I'm still learning on electronics a bit)

the eyelid's mechanism itself looks ok. Only maybe with the eyelid's open the lids move down a bit slowly, when the vertical coil is released. When the horizontal coil is triggered the eyes shut immediately.

1 month later
#11 2 years ago

SOLVED; thanks everyone for thinking with me. The problem I had is that the transistor Q22 kept blowing after replacing it. The reason was that the diode circuit got a defect. I wasn't the diode itself, which was still fine. That is what confused me. In the end is was it the wiring on the J122 connector. The connector has two 'bridge' wires to connect the diodes into the circuit of rudy. One of the wires did not connect well, probably caused by cabinet movements over time. So be sure to check this wires when you have a problem with the solenoids of Rudy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 29.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 40.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 22.50
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fh-coils-eyelids-rudy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.