By RandyV

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RandyV.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have had a weird problem with my #FGY for some time and it's time to get it resolved.

When I first got the game many years ago the Death target was not registering at all. I didn't see anything obviously wrong so I replaced the target opto board and life was good. Several months later, the target stopped registering intermittently again and it's been that way since.

With the Death target down, SW9 (the drop target opto) is not registering in the switch test. However - I found if I move the captured ball on the right side of the TV scoop off of its rollover switch (SW7)-- SW9 registers. As soon as I close SW7 (which is the normal state when the playfield is down) SW9 is dead.

So with the Death target down and SW7 closed, SW9 won't register. With SW7 open, SW9 registers.

The only thing these two switches seem to have in common is that they are both driven from Q1 in Row 1. I played around with some other switches in Row 1 and could intermittently get SW9 to fail simply by closing other switches in the row, but generally speaking, with the playfield lowered, unless SW7 is open, SW9 won't register.

My first thought is that Q1 is bad and needs to be replaced. But if that were the case, I would expect everything else in Row 1 to be flaky, but's that not the case. Every switch except SW9 works perfectly with the playfield down. I guess it's possible the drop target opto board has gone bad again, but that would be two failures which seems awfully unlikely unless there is some other electrical issue with the game.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Randy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RandyV.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fgy-death-target-opto?tu=RandyV and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.