You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3146_zps53a92ef5.jpg
IMG_3145_zps30d263f8.jpg
IMG_3138_zpsca2135cc.jpg
IMG_3137_zps0538477e.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loppydog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hi guys, I am in need of some advice. I just purchased a Family Guy that had been routed. It has the typical wear around the scoop and on the "n" insert from the ball landing from being ejected from the scoop. I have Cliffys coming already, but I am thinking maybe I shouldn't install them until I repair the scoop. The shooter lane also looks like it could be sanded and have a little paint touch up. The rest of the playfield is in pretty good shape, but I can see that the clear-coat is super thin or non existent on most of it.

So I am wondering what you guys would suggest I do? I know I could just slap on the Cliffys and put a patch of Mylar where the ball is landing, but that seems like a temporary fix and wouldn't do much for the rest of the flayfield. I am thinking maybe I will just try to do it right and strip it all, do the touch-up paint, and put a bunch of layers of clear on it. One concern is that the ball drop divot would just come right back. I guess I could Mylar that one spot after clearing it, but I really am not a fan of random patches of Mylar.

I would appreciate any suggestions, especially from people who have done similar repair jobs. Thanks!

IMG_3137_zps0538477e.jpgIMG_3137_zps0538477e.jpg IMG_3138_zpsca2135cc.jpgIMG_3138_zpsca2135cc.jpg IMG_3145_zps30d263f8.jpgIMG_3145_zps30d263f8.jpg IMG_3146_zps53a92ef5.jpgIMG_3146_zps53a92ef5.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Thanks guys. As of right now, that NOS playfield is too far out of my budget. And like the director says, I think it's a bit overkill to replace it.

I have already looked around for a new "n" decal, but never found any for sale. Is there a place I should be looking for this? If these are available, it would be much easier than painting it! Also, it is difficult to tell from the photos, but there is a pretty deep divot on the insert itself. Should I use clear epoxy to try to fill it before paint/decals?

If you look closely at the triangular "pinball" insert in the first pic, you can see where the insert meets the wood. A lot of the inserts are starting to show wear around them. That is why i am thinking I should clear the whole thing. Or do you think it won't get much worse?

What is the proper material to fill the scoop area? I would imagine any "wood filler" would be too soft and break out real easy.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks vid1900. Do you think that divot will re-appear with normal home play? I am checking out your guide now. Do you know where I might be able to find the "n" insert decal?

#9 10 years ago

Yeah I have considered this, but there are a few things I think need to be done. I need to install Cliffys or the scoop will just get much worse. But before I can install Cliffys, I need to fill in some wood so the metal has something to rest up against (I think). And if I do not do something about the damaged insert I believe it will eventually break or just get much worse. And I think I want to sand the shooter lane and clear it.

So at this point I have to decide if I should just repair these issues and call it good, or just go all out while I am at it. I have thought about how much time it will take, and it is a bit nerve racking. Removing everything from the playfield sounds daunting enough!

Also, I was thinking that if I do decide to clear the whole thing, I might take it to a local professional with a booth. I just don't think I have the proper set-up. I painted my motorcycle before, and while it turned out pretty good, I did end up with some debris in the clear.

#10 10 years ago

OK, after looking over that guide, it looks like I need to make my own "n" decal. I was wondering if someone might be willing to help my figure out the font for this decal? I do not have one of those scanners to be able to take a nice scan of it. Maybe someone with a clean "n" can take a high res scan or pic for me. I would really appreciate it!

I am thinking that if I end up with a clean image, I can touch it up in Photoshop. Then I can measure the Black circle around the lettering to dimension it perfectly.

**edit** I decided to make a new thread since this is a bit off topic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loppydog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fg-playfield-repair-advice?tu=loppydog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.