Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

So my wife is finally on board for the purchase of our first pin. Have largely narrowed down the choice to a NIB Stern game. My older son and I like Foo Fighters Pro for the shots and gameplay, but my wife and younger son are theme people and focused around Star Wars Pro. Also going to play Mandalorian for the first time this weekend to see, but I've never played it, so I'm doubtful.

Any thoughts about why one might be better than the orher or how to negotiate an answer? It'll be a Father's Day present, so I've been told I get the final say, but want this to be a positive experience for everyone (and leave the door open for future additions). If I can get my younger son on board, it's easy, but if not, I may be stuck with a coin toss.

#2 10 months ago

My recommendation would be that whichever you choose, go the premium route. It’s worth the upgrade for both titles.

#3 10 months ago

Interesting post. I own 6 pinball machines and one is a Star Wars LE and the other a Foo Fighters LE I just had delivered today. Star Wars is one of my favorite machines but the shots on FOO are amazing.

#4 10 months ago

Last ability Go with FF. Star wars is theme only. Shots get old very quickly.

#5 10 months ago

I can’t speak to FF, but I bought a Star Wars pro NIB and I never really like it. It has its positives, but I don’t miss it a bit.

#6 10 months ago

Foo Fighters pro is an awesome game.

#7 10 months ago

The family will like FF better I would think.
Themes dont do shit for play, and SW can be a ball buster to the uninitiated.
FF has a lot of Elwin in it and the ball moves around in a very pleasing way.
Do the funnest thing for the family...it ain't like the first is going to be the last.

#8 10 months ago

I’m a big Star Wars fan but I never clicked with the gameplay.

Foo fighters is a fun theme (the cartoon, vs aliens etc) and it’s butter smooth on the shots.

I’d vote Foo. BUT either way, this is your first machine so it will be a win.

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Do the funnest thing for the family...it ain't like the first is going to be the last.

^^^ This guy is laying down some good stuff !

#10 10 months ago

If you haven’t played a lot of pinball, Star Wars is a tough pin. I haven’t played FF yet, but maybe something to keep in mind.

#11 10 months ago

SW plunge off the drops to the outlane followed by the ball save doing the same thing is one of the most maddening things in pinball.
Top scores are heavily dependent on the 40x multipliers. I don’t find that part of the game fun.

#12 10 months ago

I’m slightly bias as I own a foo pro… but SW pro isn’t a good game. For SW, you have to go premium for that Death Star shot, which makes the whole game worthwhile IMO

#13 10 months ago

IMO Foo Fighters by a long margin. Everything about t is better than Star Wars. I grew up loving Star Wars and was excited to play the pin the first time. One of the biggest disappointments I’ve had in the hobby. Foo Fighters all day is the better pin IMO

#14 10 months ago

Star Wars is exhilarating when you're hitting shots, playing well. Foo Fighters is exhilarating when you are hitting shots too. On Foo Fighters, it's much easier to hit those shots and combo them. They are both fast. Foo Fighters is more forgiving, imho. I'd go with Foo Fighters.

Like others have said, go for the premium on these titles. It's absolutely worth it.

#15 10 months ago

I love Star Wars but it is unforgiving until you get that amazing game and that turns people off. Get Foo and don’t listen to the premium only crowd. Get in the door with a game first. Then you can debate that crap for your second game. Good luck

#16 10 months ago

They have yet to make a good SW pinball machine. The Stern version is my least favorite. Maybe someday they'll get it right. Godzilla or Foo are much better options.

#17 10 months ago

Just give up. You are screwed.

#18 10 months ago

There's very little reason to waste $2,000 on the premium upgrade on either of these games, your family won't care nor notice the difference.

#19 10 months ago

So much hate for Star Wars on Star Wars day. Sw pro is great, dare I say, better than the premium. Sure, you need to have it dialed in perfectly and even then you’ll still get some cheap drains, but it’s a rush. Plus, you can get a used one for under $6k.

I haven’t played much ff but I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

#20 10 months ago

Foo pro all day long on this one. If you don't like Foo, guess what? It barely is about them. It's more about going across America and destroying whacky aliens and robots.

#21 10 months ago

I have both games and enjoy them both for different reasons. If buying for your family though I think they will enjoy FF more. SW is way more "in your face" and brutal. FF is a much easier game and has a shot friendly layout. SW will tear you apart unless you are a good player. Guests will like FF more too. I wouldn't pick Mando over either of these, I enjoy it but it's a bit of a wood chopper.

#22 10 months ago

Get which ever one can be delivered first. Play it a whole bunch then if you get bored with it sell it and buy the other one.

#23 10 months ago

Star wars stinks and the pro has nothing in it at all and the art is bad. If you and your family are relatively new to pinball then Star War's "AwEsOmE RuLeS" are going to go way over everyone's head. The rules aren't awesome anyway they suck imo. This is like asking would you rather have a fresh sandwhich made with love or a kick in the balls. Foo Fighters. Easiest decision ever.

#24 10 months ago

You can't go wrong with either Pro version. SW is a fantastic game...not sure where all the 'too hard' comments come from here. It's the most played game by guests in my collection by a long shot. very easy to understand what to do.
On the other hand, Foo Fighters is hysterically tongue-in-cheek funny and a great shooter too.
they are both fast.
It's a draw. Can't go wrong

#25 10 months ago

FF Pro is way more enjoyable than SW Pro, it's not even close in terms of shots - but music pins have a way of getting real annoying, real fast in my opinion.

#26 10 months ago

Star wars. Ff will be made for a while, SW is near thend end. Yo can get ff later

#27 10 months ago

I would not limit your self to just two options when looking for first pin - plenty out there to choose from and all of them are fun in their own way. Keep an open mind on other titles and stay patient, no reason to Rush or limit your self right out of the gate. Contact local dealers from the stern website and see what they have in stock if you plan to do NIB but note that some titles will be significantly lower on the used market with just a few hundred plays on them.

There is backlog on NIB games right now so if you are interested in FF, you maybe waiting several months before being able to take possession of one - technically the non-operator run of the pro has not even happened yet.

GL

#28 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Star wars stinks and the pro has nothing in it at all and the art is bad. If you and your family are relatively new to pinball then Star War's "AwEsOmE RuLeS" are going to go way over everyone's head. The rules aren't awesome anyway they suck imo. This is like asking would you rather have a fresh sandwhich made with love or a kick in the balls. Foo Fighters. Easiest decision ever.

The mode based rules will go over everyone’s head?

#29 10 months ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

The mode based rules will go over everyone’s head?

move your multiplier around and lock it in omg 64x wow so cool. game stinks. Yeah I get it that casusals are attracted to it because it says star wars, but if you really want to play it theres way more going on than just MoDeS. The whole game is just a mess and I hate it.

#30 10 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

SW plunge off the drops to the outlane followed by the ball save doing the same thing is one of the most maddening things in pinball.
Top scores are heavily dependent on the 40x multipliers. I don’t find that part of the game fun.

The plunge is definitely the worst part of the game. I do like the multipliers and gameplay in general, though. Keeping the multiplier going and choosing which shots to multiply adds another level to the game. It can create crazy scores but that's part of the fun imo. That said, it's not something the average player can really manage. Like others said, the game can be tough and not much fun unless you know what you are doing. I have not played FF but sounds like it is a more balanced game.

#31 10 months ago

FF is the flavor of the day. I have ~20-30 games on it. It’s good, but it seems overrated at this time. Still may pick one up some day.

I have SWpro. It has great theme integration and scoring strategy. Its a keeper for me. It’s tough though.

Levi is right about pro/premium.

#32 10 months ago

After looking at all these comments, ya'll must really suck at Star Wars.

Sure, FF is a lot more forgiving than Star Wars, but making tough shots like the Death Star for Hyperspace Multiball or backhanding the ramps is satisfying.

Foo will make you feel good while playing it, Star Wars will make you a better player.

Both are great. Don't understand the hate for Star Wars. I don't think it's a perfect Star Wars game, but ya'll will never be satisfied with a Star Wars game (especially now that Disney owns the franchise).

#33 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

move your multiplier around and lock it in omg 64x wow so cool. game stinks. Yeah I get it that casusals are attracted to it because it says star wars, but if you really want to play it theres way more going on than just MoDeS. The whole game is just a mess and I hate it.

Thankfully ff doesn’t have any deeper layers of code beyond the city modes…

#34 10 months ago

hopefully one day they will make a good star wars pinball. they just can't seem to get it right.

#35 10 months ago

I haven't played Foos yet, but if you go Star Wars, I would suggest to buy one used. If I was going to get one, I would set up search alerts for a used premium. There are so many out there, you wouldn't have to wait very long, and they regularly come up for sale close to $8,000. For an NIB pro, you're probably looking at right about $8k after tax and freight.

#36 10 months ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Thankfully ff doesn’t have any deeper layers of code beyond the city modes…

Its a million less times confusing and a trillion times more fun.

#37 10 months ago

I am going to say try a GZ premium. Theme or not you won't regret playing it.

#38 10 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's why you get the pro and don't have to deal with it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ff-pro-vs-sw-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.