Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by McCune
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150412_200224.jpg
    20150409_192300.jpg
    homer-drool.gif
    image.jpg
    IMG_1061.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

I'm seriously considering purchasing a better system for cabinet prep. I would appreciate input from any restoration gurus. I own an extensive woodworking shop and have mostly porter cable sanders already, but I wish to go to the next level. Please chime in.

#2 10 years ago

Paging McCune...Paging Mr. McCune!

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Paging McCune...Paging Mr. McCune!

LMFAO Took the words right out of my mouth.

Jim, please pick up the white courtesy phone by the front desk.

#4 10 years ago

http://festoolusa.com/

I would do this kit P36571810 RO 150 + CT 36 HEPA Dust Extractor Package

I would also add the RO 90

This fits on top of the ct 36, WCR 1000 Workcenter Organizer - 498507

It is some money but you only wince once!

Couldn't imagine working without these tools!

Good luck

IMG_1061.JPGIMG_1061.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Jim, How quiet /loud is that unit?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Jim, How quiet /loud is that unit?

Like running a shop vac.

#7 10 years ago

When it comes to dustless sanding Festool is the way to go.

#8 10 years ago

I really want a festool setup Someday!

1 year later
    #9 9 years ago

I am digging this one up instead of starting a new thread because I think it is still relevant. I am thinking of going with a Festool setup and using it mainly for redoing cabinets. I am thinking of going with a Rotex RO 125 and a Midi dust extractor. Those of you redoing cabinets, what grits of paper should I stock up on?

#10 9 years ago

Pinball has been taking up most of my free time past few years, but prior to that, I was heavily into wood working. Highly recommend Festool sanders, they work really well, German engineering. They ain't cheap, though.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Those of you redoing cabinets, what grits of paper should I stock up on?

My preferences are 80 ,120 220 grit as my mainstay

#13 9 years ago

Agreed as well. Also, I know you're already faced with spending a small fortune getting started but I would spent the extra $150 and upgrade to the CT26 over the Midi. It's almost twice the capacity.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

My preferences are 80 ,120 220 grit as my mainstay

Thanks, is 220 good for getting it ready to prime?

#15 9 years ago

Yes, you can go to 320, but 220 is a finished surface.

#16 9 years ago

I love my Festools

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I love my Festools
    » YouTube video

Just watched that Jim. Looks awesome! What grit are you using there?

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I love my Festools
    » YouTube video

Couldn't you at least hired a stand in model.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I love my Festools
    » YouTube video

I love my money more.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I love my money more

That is my exact reason I don't own WOZ.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

What grit are you using there

That is 60 Cristal . I am going to try 60 Granat some time soon.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

That is my exact reason I don't own WOZ.

Touche!

#23 9 years ago

If one were to buy a 'starter pack' of abrasives, what ones would you guys suggest? Meaning, cristal, granat, rubin etc? Sorry for the noob questions

I am going to be mainly using it for stripping and prepping cabinets.

#24 9 years ago

I bit the bullet and ordered a RO125, DTS400 and a CT26. Wish me luck

#25 9 years ago

You can hire an army of master craftsmen to do the work for you while you sip 50 year Glenfiddich scotch and have an A-list Hollywood celebrity (Oscar nominated) mow your lawn for cheaper than outfitting your garage with Festool kit. I honestly think Festool doesn't exist, and is just a fake company with fake products set up by another manufacturer to make their own top-of-the-line tools look reasonable in comparison.

#26 9 years ago

In addition to Jim's recommendations, I'd suggest you get the boom arm for the dust extraction system – love mine. Also, you should look at the "Multifunctional Tables" and routers as well. The MFT3 is a great addition and you can add the router table extension later down the road. The track saws are fantastic as well (use that to build pinball crates in a matter of minutes). If you plan on doing more than 1 or 2 restorations then your money is well spent. Take a look at the Fein multipurpose tools as well. Hope this helps

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I bit the bullet and ordered a RO125, DTS400 and a CT26. Wish me luck

Congrats - you're going to love them! I have the same set-up except I went with the DX 93 instead of the DTS400 . I've been replacing all the doors in my house and I have many other house projects going on so the amount of time these tools saved me have already paid for themselves several times over.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

You can hire an army of master craftsmen to do the work for you while you sip 50 year Glenfiddich scotch and have an A-list Hollywood celebrity (Oscar nominated) mow your lawn for cheaper than outfitting your garage with Festool kit.

Maybe so, but for about a 1/4 of the price of a nice game or new Stern I can have a tool that will save me a lot of time and help me make a bunch of games really nice for the future. Seems like a good deal to me.

#29 9 years ago

Festool's construction is different and the quality is defintely there. You don't have the same look and feel of the more known brands like dewalt and pc.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

You can hire an army of master craftsmen to do the work for you while you sip 50 year Glenfiddich scotch and have an A-list Hollywood celebrity (Oscar nominated) mow your lawn for cheaper than outfitting your garage with Festool kit. I honestly think Festool doesn't exist, and is just a fake company with fake products set up by another manufacturer to make their own top-of-the-line tools look reasonable in comparison.

What a dick head opinion !!

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

If one were to buy a 'starter pack' of abrasives, what ones would you guys suggest? Meaning, cristal, granat, rubin etc? Sorry for the noob questions

I use Saphir 80 (Cristal or Granat would be fine, and you could go 60 instead of 80), 120 Brilliant 2 and 220 Brilliant 2.

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Abrasives_brochure.pdf

#32 9 years ago

After using a DeWalt on my restoration today, I can definitely tell you that if I did this stuff as much as McCune does, a Festool setup would be essential. I didn't mind sanding for two hours today because I'll only be doing one restoration a year...so the Festool isn't worth it for me. But regularly? I wouldn't even think about getting one.

See, Jim? We're starting to agree more and more!

#33 9 years ago

I build custom cabinetry for a living. I used to burn up dewalt, bosch, you name it, sanders within a year. My Festool is going on 7 yrs old, and hasn't missed a beat. The dust collection is second to none. Also, the circ saw, jigsaw, etc all use the same connections, with the same results. If you can afford it, do it.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

If you can afford it, do it.

Festool, you only wince once !

#35 9 years ago

Jim's right. I own a complete woodworking shop and still bought one.Love it!

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

The dust collection is second to none.

Amen! That feature alone makes them well worth the $$

#37 9 years ago

Look what showed up today! Unfortunately one of the systainers had a crack in the hinge so I have to see about a replacement.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #38 9 years ago

Awesome. You will love it.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Look what showed up today!

homer-drool.gifhomer-drool.gif

#40 9 years ago

First tests went pretty good. These things really like to 'drive' themselves though. It was all I could do to keep a hold of the sander and the head at the same time Jim, any tips on using the 125 like you did in your video?

Aside from that it worked great though. Zero dust and a beautiful finish after getting up to 220 grit.

20150409_192300.jpg20150409_192300.jpg 20150412_200224.jpg20150412_200224.jpg
    #41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

These things really like to 'drive' themselves though

Play around with the vacuum setting.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Jim, any tips on using the 125 like you did in your video?

It will take some practice but it will get easier fast .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/festool-recomendationsor-alternatives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.