(Topic ID: 206233)

Festool owners ? RO 125 (5 inch) or RO 150 (6 inch)

By indy5mike

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by indy5mike
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

76CDC6C5-2CD5-47F1-A31C-542A36B6210A (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Thinking about buying one of these Rotex sanders but will only be able to afford one and don't want to make a mistake. Will be used for cabs but also will probably use to sand a Playfield or two for hardtops? Any actual owners have some insight? Leaning towards the RO 125.

#2 1 year ago

I have both and find the RO125 more versatile as it is lighter and my go-to sander for most things. That said, if you are only going to use it for large, flat areas (like cabs and playfields), I could see where the 6" would cover more ground faster so would be worth it. However, I wouldn't want to use the larger sizer to sand cabinet frames, vertical surfaces or anything above my head so would stick to the 5" if you plan to use it for other things. You'll be happy with either one...

#3 1 year ago

I have the RTS400 finish sander and it will take a cabinet to bare wood very quickly with 100 grit paper. Follow with 180. With a quality dust collection system you have near zero dust, a plus with lead based cabinet paint. Using a Milwaukee vacuum the suction is strong enough to actually hold the sander vertically on the work surface!

#4 1 year ago

Get the 125 and the Festool vac.

#5 1 year ago

I was also concerned with this topic before making my initial purchase as it's a significant investment. In my own research, I focused on reports from long term Festool owners and looking only at people who have used both. I found most people reporting the 125 is somewhat harder to control during aggressive sanding. I also found that the 125s appear on the used markets (ebay and FOG) more often, where the 150s seem to appear less often. If you want to get into the weeds on this topic I recommend the FOG forums.

Personally, I wound up getting the 90 (which is great for detailed work and has the corner delta attachment) as well as the 150 for heavy removal such as stripping cabinets and playfields. I agree with JJsmooth's comment on the vac. I looked at alternatives carefully but I think the Festool vacs offer the best solution. For pads, I have picked up a few Festool grits over the years but mostly use Abranet.

As an aside, I'm continually amazed at how little turnover there is in the Festool tool market. Considering how many are using them, people just don't sell these tools too often.

-Jay

#6 1 year ago

RO series can be heavy. Not sure I’d strip a PF with a Rotex. ETS EC 125 is a lot more ergonomic. Don’t skimp on the vac use a Mini or Midi the tools will work best.

Festool price increase in March!

Festool has a recondition tool site that comes online every so often. You’d get 20% - 30% off.

#7 1 year ago

I play with Festool every day!

76CDC6C5-2CD5-47F1-A31C-542A36B6210A (resized).jpeg

#8 1 year ago

I have the 125 and a ct26 and love doing cabinet work with it.

#9 1 year ago

Every time I sand a cabinet with my old sander I tell myself I need to buy a festool, then I look into the cost of what I would need and tell myself I could buy another game with all that cash....Im sure if I actually used one I would have to have one, so I am currently avoiding them...

1 month later
    #10 1 year ago

You may have already made your choice by now but I have the Bosch 6" ROS65 VC Random orbit sander and it's great. The included filter works surprisingly well but I still hook it up to a vacuum. A 5 inch backer pad is easily installed to utilize 5 inch sanding discs. You can't go wrong with Festool however as I have their TS 75 track saw and their DF 700 Domino. I also had their TS 55 tracksaw but I returned it for the superior but more expensive offering from Mafell. Anyway, I use a Bosch vacuum hose which fits Festool tools and is probably cheaper than a Festool hose. Got it off of Amazon.

#11 1 year ago

I have the 125, great tool. Never once wished I had the bigger model.

#12 1 year ago

i have the RO90 and the RO150, these are both great tools to have around for sanding and polishing.
    Personally never considered the 125 but i am sure it will be just as great as the other two.

1 month later
    #13 1 year ago

About ready to order was sure I was going to order a CT26 but now I see the CT36 for just 50 bucks more. Is it worth going with the CT36?

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from indy5mike:

About ready to order was sure I was going to order a CT26 but now I see the CT36 for just 50 bucks more. Is it worth going with the CT36?

I have a 26 and love it. The diff is just dust capacity correct?

#15 1 year ago

Capacity is what I was thinking but wanted to be sure!

#16 1 year ago

Just capacity, everything else is identical.

#17 1 year ago

I believe it is just size. If its just for the normal stuff you should be OK with the CT26. But in the end its your call and you wont regret it no matter witch way you go.

#18 1 year ago

Ok thanks for your replies. I just called Festool and both are 137 cfm, the difference is capacity. I also asked about the Midi and it is 130 cfm but has 3 1/2 gallon capacity compared to 6 1/2 gallons on the CT26. How much of the capacity do you guys who have the CT26 use?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 72.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 199.99
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9,000.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside