New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 197465)

Prog Rock is awesome!! Fans of the 10 min. keyboard solo!

By Frippertron

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“The Six Wives of Henry VIII is?”

• Something a medieval guy did 1 vote
    7%
  • An epic keyboard album 7 votes
    47%
  • Patrick Moraz' nightmare 1 vote
    7%
  • Prog sucks 6 votes
    40%

(15 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images (1) (resized).jpg
DSCN2519b (resized).jpg
DSCN2477 (resized).JPG
bc31425e3b25913dcba88367dddec687 (resized).jpg
BD19 (resized).png
download (2) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Methos I love all Peter Gabriel Genesis. Form their MOD stuff in the 60'S through Lamb lies down on Broadway. I like the first two Phil Collins records. Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering in 76. I like Fish Era Marillion, particularly Clutching at Straws. I like Spock's Beard too, I think I only have a couple albums but what I have heard I like. I also have In Absentia by Porcupine Tree. You have good taste my friend

Clutching at Straws is my favorite Fish era record; still like some of the Hogarth stuff, but not everything. Never figured out Brave really. Seasons' End is awesome IMO. But i like the heavier Fish albums.

I'm into other heavier stuff like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Nightwish. Spock's yes! Even Neal's later stuff

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

The first album by UK is one of my fave prog rock albums. The line up was John Wetton on bass and vocals, Allan Holdsworth on guitar, Eddie Jobson on keyboards and electric violin, and Bill Bruford on drums.

In the dead of Night... In the dead of NIIIIIIIIGHT!!!! Amazing record. Too bad Holdsworth left so quickly

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Calprog. For awhile I listened to Yes non stop. From the Yes album through Relayer are perfect albums. The next 2 had their moments and I like them including the much maligned Tormato. Once Jon Anderson left that marks my cut off. Although I liked The Ladder twenty years later.

Magnification is also pretty great -

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Tim Follin was a composer for video games back in the 80s and 90s. He composed some of the most epic sounding tunes on sound chips that were only designed for bleeps and bloops and other sound effects. Definitely influenced by prog rock. I always thought he'd be a good composer for pinball tunes, but he left the industry because while the game music was incredible, the games themselves were terrible and sold poorly.
» YouTube video

I had that game! And the sequel Equinox (for SNES). Both of them were HARD

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I can't believe nobody said ELP yet. The question is , what's their best album. Debut, tarkus,trilogy,brain? What do you guys think

Or Rush!!

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Yes Mr. DanQ mentioned rush. Their prog peak was definitely 2112. They still are prog but not in the traditional sense. I will always love me some Rush!

Aah missed that! 2112 is incredible - IMO they still had it all tge way through Clockwrk Angels. Here's to hoping Neil writes a couple more books since he's hung up the sticks!

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I'm listening to Grendel by Marillion right now. Probably their most epic composition!

Never included on a real release! That's some obscure stuff! B-side to Market Square Heroes, yes?

#116 3 years ago

Has anybody mentioned Queen? I'm in a Queen tribute band right now.. EVERY song is basically impossible. We are having a great time figuring them out

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Rdoyle you are correct. I have the 12" Market Square Heroes single. That's some impressive knowledge my friend.

I hunted that down because I didn't believe the same band that did Kayleigh also did that big epic!

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Don't you love how Marillion is known for Kayleigh, Yes is known for Owner of a lonely heart, Gabriel for In Your Eyes. It goes to show, pop music pays the bills but real fans want deep tunes.

I actually don't mind this - I can always use those sneak attaxk songs to get people into bands I like

Check out Cynic... they have never sounded the same across 2 recordings but the best I can describe them is "jazz metal". I know that sounds horrible but they are progressive in the truest sense

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Cynic. I will check them out.

Check out "traced in air" which is more recent. Then Check out "Focus" which is a little heavier (there are some harsh vocal parts) but is IMO one of the most amazing 30 minutes of music out to tape ever. Headphone music.

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I think one of the best PT boots I have is PT at NEARFEST at the 2001 show? It is an excellent recording from their Lightbulb Sun tour. It is a shame that PT is no more, they had an incredible run. Wilson's BLACKFIELD is another favorite. The first two albums are on a level of songwriting and production second to none.
I know Wilson has a nice solo career, but I miss PT's sound.

Aways wanted to go to nearfest - there's neal morse' big thing he's doing now, but it's not the same

I really liked PT but haven't really been able to get into Steven wilsons other stuff.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I agree. PT is where it's at.

Yep

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

Good call on Cynic. Atheist did some interesting jazz influenced death metal too. Also I like John Zorn/Naked City/Painkiller, their music is a mix of grindcore and avant-garde jazz.
Mastodon, Gojira, Devin Townsend, maudlin of the Well, Fates Warning, Meshuggah, Voivod, Arcturus, and Enslaved are some of my other favs that could be labelled progressive metal.

Meshuggah lost me after a while, but i am psyched to know somebody else knows Arcturus!
I hadn't heard of Maudlin of the Well

For those that like Steven Wilson, he did a couple tunes on OST, the Jim Mathews/mike portnoy/Kevin Moore band

Funny, I just pulled out Unquestionable Presence yesterday. I love Tony Choy's playing on there (even if he was playing Roger's baselines, and despite him being in a pop band now

The band Pestilence did one amazing album called "Spheres" which is part death metal but mostly jazzy. Really cool and head and shoulders above their other albums.

Finally, Gordian Knot. Hard to find but has one of my favorite guitarists Doing several guest spots: Ron Jarzombek. The self titled Gordian Knot is an absolute masterpiece

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

The Moody Blues have a ton of great LP's, I couldn't pick a favorite.

From one of my uncles, I received as a gift my dad's original LP copy of Seventh Sojourn which while worn, still plays nicely. I also got his LPs of some Bruce Springsteen record (boo), some Jimmy Buffet thing (yeecch), Yes' Fragile (!!), and Dark side of the Moon. Huge score

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I know everyone on the world loves Buffet, but I must just be the odd man out.

Yeah... he's not for me

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I have it on pretty good authority that Jimmy Buffet's music plays on loop in a circle of hell, I'm just not sure which one.

Are you sure it's not on all 9 levels? That and whatever I heard on "pop2K" on SiriusXM this afternoon would be on repeat

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Thanks ghostbc! I dig the name. How did I not think of Hackett? The man that Eddie Van Halen has to thank for his legend. Before Hackett, tapping didn't exist!

This is a misnomer, but he is still awesome!!

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

You know how rock guys are with the ego. I mean Gene Simmons invented orange juice and shaving!

AND the devil horns!

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

It's funny. My grandmother was 100% Italian and she would also do the Italian hex with her fingers and then I heard Dio having a similar story on how the famous devil horns came to be. I'm definitely on team Dio as the creator.

There's basically no argument really from anyone - and I believe Gene even finally backed down. Must have wrenched his neck checking his wallet

2 weeks later
#174 3 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

Just bought my tickets for Dream Theater's Images and Words Tour. I'm so pumped!

Let us know how it is - it's been hard for me to get back into them after Mike left - I loved A Dramatic Turn of Events but have not liked anything they did afterwards. (I tried really hard on the Astonishing). Love to hear how the show is!

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

I thought The Astonishing was horrible. The couple albums before that were OK. The nice thing is that they play from their entire catalog during concerts and this tour will feature Images and Words played in its entirety. However, I haven't seen them live in 8-10 years so we'll see how they are now.

I'm sure it's awesome - id still check them out, james is singing amazing lately. Don't forget about Sons of Apollo too!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Habos Arcade
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 15.00
$ 7,500.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 235.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 0.10
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Stuff
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside