(Topic ID: 197465)

Prog Rock is awesome!! Fans of the 10 min. keyboard solo!

By Frippertron

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 216 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by ExSquid
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“The Six Wives of Henry VIII is?”

• Something a medieval guy did 4 votes
    18%
  • An epic keyboard album 8 votes
    36%
  • Patrick Moraz' nightmare 1 vote
    5%
  • Prog sucks 9 votes
    41%

(22 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a1646077148_16 (resized).jpg
Yes-close (resized).jpg
images (1) (resized).jpg
DSCN2519b (resized).jpg
DSCN2477 (resized).JPG
bc31425e3b25913dcba88367dddec687 (resized).jpg
BD19 (resized).png
download (2) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 6 years ago

Prog rock?

Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Bee Gees
Genesis (all eras)
King Crimston
VDDG
Marillion
Spock's Beard
Porcupine Tree

The best of the best

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Methos I love all Peter Gabriel Genesis. Form their MOD stuff in the 60'S through Lamb lies down on Broadway. I like the first two Phil Collins records. Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering in 76. I like Fish Era Marillion, particularly Clutching at Straws. I like Spock's Beard too, I think I only have a couple albums but what I have heard I like. I also have In Absentia by Porcupine Tree. You have good taste my friend

All great selections. If you like those and you are still looking for more, try Duke by Genesis, Marbles by Marillion (inclues 2 of the best 12 minute songs ever done- The Invisible Man and Ocean Cloud), and DeadWing by Porcupine Tree, which was the album after In Absentia.

All great stuff.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

What does everyone think of Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime?

The best rock/concept album ever done IMO. I was 17 when it came out and we were fans of the band already from The Warning and Rage for Order, so we were early adopters.

I've heard the album probably north of 150 times and have seen the band a dozen times. I just shared it with my 16 year old, so it's like discovering it all over again.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I'm listening to Grendel by Marillion right now. Probably their most epic composition!

Although it's a blatent rip off of Supper's Ready.

I've been lucky enough to see Marillion 9 times over the years and they pull Garden Party out once in a while.

It's beyond cool.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

Prog fan here, saw many of the bands, started going to concerts in 1974, used to go to NEARFEST in Pa./N.Y. back in 2001 - 2004. That's North East Art Rock Festival and they had many foreign prog bands and many of the new and old ones. Anybody else attend NEARFEST?
ps......Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson is one of my favorites.

I think one of the best PT boots I have is PT at NEARFEST at the 2001 show? It is an excellent recording from their Lightbulb Sun tour. It is a shame that PT is no more, they had an incredible run. Wilson's BLACKFIELD is another favorite. The first two albums are on a level of songwriting and production second to none.

I know Wilson has a nice solo career, but I miss PT's sound.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I really liked PT but haven't really been able to get into Steven wilsons other stuff.

I have really really really tried to get into his solo work. Hands Cannot Erase is probably my favorite but its just not the same as PT.

#139 6 years ago

While I think Deadwing is their mastepiece, there is something special about Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. They are like Rubber Soul and Revolver to me - a perfect blend of various styles of music on two albums at the peak of creativity and craftsmanship.

Also special nod to Voyage 34 and Stars Die. Both oldies but full of musical bliss.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Classic Moody Blues fan here. Mellotrons FTW.

I've seen them many times. To our Children's Children's Children's is my favorite hands down.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

From one of my uncles, I received as a gift my dad's original LP copy of Seventh Sojourn which while worn, still plays nicely. I also got his LPs of some Bruce Springsteen record (boo), some Jimmy Buffet thing (yeecch), Yes' Fragile (!!), and Dark side of the Moon. Huge score

I know everyone on the world loves Buffet, but I must just be the odd man out.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are you sure it's not on all 9 levels? That and whatever I heard on "pop2K" on SiriusXM this afternoon would be on repeat

There are plenty of other candidates for the other layers, I'm sure.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There's basically no argument really from anyone - and I believe Gene even finally backed down. Must have wrenched his neck checking his wallet

I am going to meet him next week so I'll try and ask him.

4 years later
#180 2 years ago

FYI - Porcupine Tree are coming out with a new album.

6 months later
#185 1 year ago

Porcupine Tree is on tour now - last time. Going to Mke and maybe Chicago.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Supposedly! He said that when he broke up the band too. Maybe he needs money for a project ?

I think this is it. He's already started on his next solo album and really excited about it. They may get together and put together more songs at some point, but no more touring.

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Porcupine Tree is hardly new, as you noted - they are kind of in that post-prog group like Marillion. Not that they sound anything alike but same concept of actually trying to “progress” the music. You won’t be disappointed, but make sure you give several albums a go, they are all super different. In Absentia and Deadwing are (to me anyway) the most accessible

My gateway to PT was actually through Marillion on their forum board.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I’ll listen to almost anything. Hard to keep up. Not enough hours in the day. Thank you for some new bands to me.

Well - Steve Wilson has like 8 projects, or something like that. I recommend Porcupine Tree, the first two Blackfield albums, and his Raven solo album if you love prog.

Nothing beats the Signify - Fear of a Blank Planet run of PT. Hell, I even like his bedroom years...Voyage 34 and Stars Die are amazing.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

PT, DT and Marillion always made appearances. 2 hours of No Format!

I don't have any doubt about that.

Marillion had a hell of a run as well. My favorite era was from Season's End to Sounds that Can't be Made. Some fantastic music made during that time. Their last two didn't do anything for me, but glad they are still making music.

The thread I saw on the Marillion board was "In Absentia has Raised the Bar" or something like that indicating how good that album was. I think I bought it unheard - no streaming back in those days. I can recall hearing Blackest Eyes start, followed by Trains - and I was hooked. I'm a prog/pop kind of guy so this album was right up my alley.

I see they are doing half of this album on this tour including the final track - which I have always loved.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Gavin Harrison is an absolute monster. I was fortunate enough to see him play with crimson last year.

I'm going to say it....Gavin is right there with Neil Peart. It amazes me how he is able to memorize all of those songs. He's just not a keep the rhythm and make great fills kind of player...he's much more organic and his drumming is a separate piece of the music...just like Neil was.

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m not sure I think his playing is as recognizable as Neil’s, but that sinking into the song is part of Gavin’s style on purpose. Neil chose to stand out because there was only the 3 of them.

Agreed. Gavin's is much more into the framework of the song, while Neil's stood out more. Bottom line is they are both fun to listen to.

1 week later
#205 1 year ago

Seeing Porcupine Tree in Milwaukee in a few hours.

Best part about is that my 21 year old son will get to see them...and I never thought that would happen.

1 year later
#208 33 days ago

Funny, I kind of game up on listenting to it over the past year as I'm getting into more older soundtracks and other non rock music. But on a pinball run this week I listened to some old school Spock's Beard and Marillion.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fernandez-vs-ritchie-take-2?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.