(Topic ID: 197465)

Prog Rock is awesome!! Fans of the 10 min. keyboard solo!

By Frippertron

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“The Six Wives of Henry VIII is?”

• Something a medieval guy did 1 vote
    7%
  • An epic keyboard album 7 votes
    47%
  • Patrick Moraz' nightmare 1 vote
    7%
  • Prog sucks 6 votes
    40%

(15 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images (1) (resized).jpg
DSCN2519b (resized).jpg
DSCN2477 (resized).JPG
bc31425e3b25913dcba88367dddec687 (resized).jpg
BD19 (resized).png
download (2) (resized).jpg

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Meshuggah lost me after a while, but i am psyched to know somebody else knows Arcturus!
I hadn't heard of Maudlin of the Well
For those that like Steven Wilson, he did a couple tunes on OST, the Jim Mathews/mike portnoy/Kevin Moore band
Funny, I just pulled out Unquestionable Presence yesterday. I love Tony Choy's playing on there (even if he was playing Roger's baselines, and despite him being in a pop band now
The band Pestilence did one amazing album called "Spheres" which is part death metal but mostly jazzy. Really cool and head and shoulders above their other albums.
Finally, Gordian Knot. Hard to find but has one of my favorite guitarists Doing several guest spots: Ron Jarzombek. The self titled Gordian Knot is an absolute masterpiece

Love that Gordian Knot album, second was quite good too.

#152 1 year ago

Yes or No to the cape?

images (1) (resized).jpg

#153 1 year ago

Love this thread and all the great bands mentioned here,
Adding the following bands to the mix:

Kayak
Le Orme
Coheed & Cambria

Only downside for me is I don't play well when listening to most prog rock.
In my mind the best way to ruin a listening of the great bands listed in this topic is to fire up a game of pinball.
I have tried and tried but I just cant play as well as I can when listening to bands like Boston, Sammy Hagar, The Who, Meatloaf, Queen, Journey, Ted Nugent(the music), etc... Not trying to steer the topic to these types of bands just saying I play my best when this type of music is on.

I think it is because prog rock demands my attention which steals my focus from that shiny round thing which make me play bad which aggravates me.

Anyone else have this same experience or play better on prog rock?

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Yes or No to the cape?

Sometimes you feel like a cape, sometimes you don't.

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Sometimes you feel like a cape, sometimes you don't.

Well said!

Quoted from fnosm:Love this thread and all the great bands mentioned here,
Adding the following bands to the mix:
Kayak
Le Orme
Coheed & Cambria
Only downside for me is I don't play well when listening to most prog rock.
In my mind the best way to ruin a listening of the great bands listed in this topic is to fire up a game of pinball.
I have tried and tried but I just cant play as well as I can when listening to bands like Boston, Sammy Hagar, The Who, Meatloaf, Queen, Journey, Ted Nugent(the music), etc... Not trying to steer the topic to these types of bands just saying I play my best when this type of music is on.
I think it is because prog rock demands my attention which steals my focus from that shiny round thing which make me play bad which aggravates me.
Anyone else have this same experience or play better on prog rock?

It depends on the game for me more modern games I would probably have a hard time listening to prog, where I have to look at the dmd or listen for certain callouts. Luckily I prefer early SS machines and have no problem jammin to some prog while playing Meteor or Joker Poker.

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

The Moody Blues have a ton of great LP's, I couldn't pick a favorite.

From one of my uncles, I received as a gift my dad's original LP copy of Seventh Sojourn which while worn, still plays nicely. I also got his LPs of some Bruce Springsteen record (boo), some Jimmy Buffet thing (yeecch), Yes' Fragile (!!), and Dark side of the Moon. Huge score

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

From one of my uncles, I received as a gift my dad's original LP copy of Seventh Sojourn which while worn, still plays nicely. I also got his LPs of some Bruce Springsteen record (boo), some Jimmy Buffet thing (yeecch), Yes' Fragile (!!), and Dark side of the Moon. Huge score

I know everyone on the world loves Buffet, but I must just be the odd man out.

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

I know everyone on the world loves Buffet, but I must just be the odd man out.

Yeah... he's not for me

#159 1 year ago

I have it on pretty good authority that Jimmy Buffet's music plays on loop in a circle of hell, I'm just not sure which one.

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I have it on pretty good authority that Jimmy Buffet's music plays on loop in a circle of hell, I'm just not sure which one.

Are you sure it's not on all 9 levels? That and whatever I heard on "pop2K" on SiriusXM this afternoon would be on repeat

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are you sure it's not on all 9 levels? That and whatever I heard on "pop2K" on SiriusXM this afternoon would be on repeat

There are plenty of other candidates for the other layers, I'm sure.

#162 1 year ago

Just today, my ex-brother-in-law in NJ gifted me with some vintage vinyl via his daughter (my niece) who came up to visit my ailing mom.
One of the LPs was the classic "In the Court of the Crimson King" album! I was thrilled to receive it. Now I just have to resurrect one of my long retired turntables, and hope my crackly old Sherwood receiver will fire up without frying up!

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Just today, my ex-brother-in-law in NJ gifted me with some vintage vinyl via his daughter (my niece) who came up to visit my ailing mom.
One of the LPs was the classic "In the Court of the Crimson King" album! I was thrilled to receive it. Now I just have to resurrect one of my long retired turntables, and hope my crackly old Sherwood receiver will fire up without frying up!

One of the greatest albums ever, period!

#164 1 year ago

Welcome Frippertron, To answer your question from a few days ago Steve Hackett was a huge Fripp fan and sat down in early Genesis, so did most of the band. If you have not seen Hackett recently or picked up any of his new albums I strongly suggest you see him. The Album he did with Chris Squire (my fav bass player along with Tony Levin and Mars Cowling) Squakett is fantastic and live lately he is doing half Hackett half early Genesis material . I was in a Prog cover band in the late 70s early 80s in NJ called Relayer( get it). We would play lame bars where you were either blown away because the band on stage was playing Yes, Genesis, Crimson, Hackett or you were some drunk dude yelling "Play luie luie". Also just got to mention Bill Burfords band Burford. Pick up basement tapes and be blown away. As for newer stuff check out Flying Colors or anything Mike Portnoy has been involved in after Dream Theater, I can't believe I am following a drummer and loving everything he is involved with.
Prog rock on !

#165 1 year ago

Thanks ghostbc! I dig the name. How did I not think of Hackett? The man that Eddie Van Halen has to thank for his legend. Before Hackett, tapping didn't exist!

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Thanks ghostbc! I dig the name. How did I not think of Hackett? The man that Eddie Van Halen has to thank for his legend. Before Hackett, tapping didn't exist!

This is a misnomer, but he is still awesome!!

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is a misnomer, but he is still awesome!!

You know how rock guys are with the ego. I mean Gene Simmons invented orange juice and shaving!

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

You know how rock guys are with the ego. I mean Gene Simmons invented orange juice and shaving!

AND the devil horns!

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

AND the devil horns!

It's funny. My grandmother was 100% Italian and she would also do the Italian hex with her fingers and then I heard Dio having a similar story on how the famous devil horns came to be. I'm definitely on team Dio as the creator.

#170 1 year ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

It's funny. My grandmother was 100% Italian and she would also do the Italian hex with her fingers and then I heard Dio having a similar story on how the famous devil horns came to be. I'm definitely on team Dio as the creator.

There's basically no argument really from anyone - and I believe Gene even finally backed down. Must have wrenched his neck checking his wallet

#171 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There's basically no argument really from anyone - and I believe Gene even finally backed down. Must have wrenched his neck checking his wallet

I am going to meet him next week so I'll try and ask him.

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

I am going to meet him next week so I'll try and ask him.

Good luck with that. Gene's head can barely fit in Madison Square Garden.

2 weeks later
#173 1 year ago

Just bought my tickets for Dream Theater's Images and Words Tour. I'm so pumped!

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

Just bought my tickets for Dream Theater's Images and Words Tour. I'm so pumped!

Let us know how it is - it's been hard for me to get back into them after Mike left - I loved A Dramatic Turn of Events but have not liked anything they did afterwards. (I tried really hard on the Astonishing). Love to hear how the show is!

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Let us know how it is - it's been hard for me to get back into them after Mike left - I loved A Dramatic Turn of Events but have not liked anything they did afterwards. (I tried really hard on the Astonishing). Love to hear how the show is!

I thought The Astonishing was horrible. The couple albums before that were OK. The nice thing is that they play from their entire catalog during concerts and this tour will feature Images and Words played in its entirety. However, I haven't seen them live in 8-10 years so we'll see how they are now.

#176 1 year ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

I thought The Astonishing was horrible. The couple albums before that were OK. The nice thing is that they play from their entire catalog during concerts and this tour will feature Images and Words played in its entirety. However, I haven't seen them live in 8-10 years so we'll see how they are now.

I'm sure it's awesome - id still check them out, james is singing amazing lately. Don't forget about Sons of Apollo too!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 90.00
$ 299.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
$ 96.77
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 14.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 159.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 89.99
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside