New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 197465)

Prog Rock is awesome!! Fans of the 10 min. keyboard solo!

By Frippertron

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“The Six Wives of Henry VIII is?”

• Something a medieval guy did 1 vote
    7%
  • An epic keyboard album 7 votes
    47%
  • Patrick Moraz' nightmare 1 vote
    7%
  • Prog sucks 6 votes
    40%

(15 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images (1) (resized).jpg
DSCN2519b (resized).jpg
DSCN2477 (resized).JPG
bc31425e3b25913dcba88367dddec687 (resized).jpg
BD19 (resized).png
download (2) (resized).jpg

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 3 years ago

I've been getting into Opeth recently, really cool if you like some metal with your Prog.

#102 3 years ago

I definitely lean towards the metal prog. Dream Theater, Wintersun, Kamelot, and the like. I'm not a huge fan of Opeth because I generally don't enjoy growling.

#103 3 years ago

All their recent stuff has nothing to do with death metal. If I had to compare it to something I would say a heavier Jethro Tull

#104 3 years ago

Boiler, one of the best concerts I ever went to was Dream Theater Train of Thought tour. They played for four hours non stop it was incredible

#105 3 years ago

What does everyone think of Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime?

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Cool album. I saw them last year with the Scorpions at the forum in LA. The new singer was really good!!!!

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I like a little krautrock myself from time to time. Neu! Is cool. I'm jealous of the concert man, have fun. Post about it if you can. Ever give Aphrodite's Child a listen?

What about the Krautprog ELP wannabees "Triumvirat"?

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I can't believe nobody said ELP yet. The question is , what's their best album. Debut, tarkus,trilogy,brain? What do you guys think

Well, it sure isn't "Love Beach"!

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Yes Mr. DanQ mentioned rush. Their prog peak was definitely 2112. They still are prog but not in the traditional sense. I will always love me some Rush!

Aah missed that! 2112 is incredible - IMO they still had it all tge way through Clockwrk Angels. Here's to hoping Neil writes a couple more books since he's hung up the sticks!

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Methos I love all Peter Gabriel Genesis. Form their MOD stuff in the 60'S through Lamb lies down on Broadway. I like the first two Phil Collins records. Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering in 76. I like Fish Era Marillion, particularly Clutching at Straws. I like Spock's Beard too, I think I only have a couple albums but what I have heard I like. I also have In Absentia by Porcupine Tree. You have good taste my friend

All great selections. If you like those and you are still looking for more, try Duke by Genesis, Marbles by Marillion (inclues 2 of the best 12 minute songs ever done- The Invisible Man and Ocean Cloud), and DeadWing by Porcupine Tree, which was the album after In Absentia.

All great stuff.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

The best rock/concept album ever done IMO. I was 17 when it came out and we were fans of the band already from The Warning and Rage for Order, so we were early adopters.

I've heard the album probably north of 150 times and have seen the band a dozen times. I just shared it with my 16 year old, so it's like discovering it all over again.

#112 3 years ago

Starcastle, Camel, Yes...yep!

#113 3 years ago

Methos that's awesome. Any time you can introduce some prog to the younger generation is a win. My daughter really likes Songs from the Wood by Tull and she's not even 6 yet! Did you like that Buffalo Soldier album by Queensryche? I thought it was some of their best stuff in years.

#114 3 years ago

I'm listening to Grendel by Marillion right now. Probably their most epic composition!

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I'm listening to Grendel by Marillion right now. Probably their most epic composition!

Never included on a real release! That's some obscure stuff! B-side to Market Square Heroes, yes?

#116 3 years ago

Has anybody mentioned Queen? I'm in a Queen tribute band right now.. EVERY song is basically impossible. We are having a great time figuring them out

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Love that new thread title.
I was a big ELP fan back in the day and recently watched their 40 year reunion concert. Carl Palmer said he thought it wasn't very good, but I thought it was awesome. So much better than when some of those grandpa rockers get back together just to get a paycheck.

I watched ELP's reunion concert as well. I thought it was better than the only time I saw ELP in 1993, I think.

Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" should get mentioned. I haven't listened to it in awhile but thought it was very well done.

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Starcastle, Camel, Yes...yep!

Starcastle "Fountains of Light" is classic American prog. Super album.

#119 3 years ago

Rdoyle you are correct. I have the 12" Market Square Heroes single. That's some impressive knowledge my friend.

#120 3 years ago

Jr. I'm gonna check out that Starcastle album. Thanks for the suggestion

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Jr. I'm gonna check out that Starcastle album. Thanks for the suggestion

Great cover art too. First album isn't bad either, especially the first cut "Lady of the Lake".

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Rdoyle you are correct. I have the 12" Market Square Heroes single. That's some impressive knowledge my friend.

I hunted that down because I didn't believe the same band that did Kayleigh also did that big epic!

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Although it's a blatent rip off of Supper's Ready.

I've been lucky enough to see Marillion 9 times over the years and they pull Garden Party out once in a while.

It's beyond cool.

#124 3 years ago

Wow Supper's Ready is Genesis' magnum opus. That song is a religious experience. Fish always gets compared unfavorably to Gabriel but is see a lot of differences in their work. He was definitely influenced by him just like John Borg would have never designed a playfield if it wasn't for Pat Lawlor.

#125 3 years ago

Don't you love how Marillion is known for Kayleigh, Yes is known for Owner of a lonely heart, Gabriel for In Your Eyes. It goes to show, pop music pays the bills but real fans want deep tunes.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Don't you love how Marillion is known for Kayleigh, Yes is known for Owner of a lonely heart, Gabriel for In Your Eyes. It goes to show, pop music pays the bills but real fans want deep tunes.

I actually don't mind this - I can always use those sneak attaxk songs to get people into bands I like

Check out Cynic... they have never sounded the same across 2 recordings but the best I can describe them is "jazz metal". I know that sounds horrible but they are progressive in the truest sense

#127 3 years ago

Cynic. I will check them out.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Cynic. I will check them out.

Check out "traced in air" which is more recent. Then Check out "Focus" which is a little heavier (there are some harsh vocal parts) but is IMO one of the most amazing 30 minutes of music out to tape ever. Headphone music.

#129 3 years ago

Prog fan here, saw many of the bands, started going to concerts in 1974, used to go to NEARFEST in Pa./N.Y. back in 2001 - 2004. That's North East Art Rock Festival and they had many foreign prog bands and many of the new and old ones. Anybody else attend NEARFEST?

ps......Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson is one of my favorites.

#130 3 years ago

Some of the bands I saw at NEARFEST:
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Porcupine Tree
After Crying
Deus Ex Machina
California Guitar Trio w/Tony Levin
Djam Karet
White Willow
Under The Sun
Underground Railroad
Birdsongs of the Mesozoic
Steve Hackett
Nektar
Caravan
Echolyn
Enchant
Isildurs Bane
Gerard
Miriodor
Spaced Out
La Torre dell'Alchimista
Woodenhead
Izz
Mastermind
Doctor Nerve
Michael Manring
Camel
Magma
Kraan
Tunnels
Glass Hammer
Alamaailman Vasarat
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
High Wheel
Yezda Urfa
Musical Box
Pallas
Richard Pinhas
Mike Keneally Band
Universe Zero
Hidria Spacefolk
Metamorfosi
Sean Malone
Planet X
Strawbs
Got to meet all the bands and Roger Dean a few times there

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

Prog fan here, saw many of the bands, started going to concerts in 1974, used to go to NEARFEST in Pa./N.Y. back in 2001 - 2004. That's North East Art Rock Festival and they had many foreign prog bands and many of the new and old ones. Anybody else attend NEARFEST?
ps......Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson is one of my favorites.

I think one of the best PT boots I have is PT at NEARFEST at the 2001 show? It is an excellent recording from their Lightbulb Sun tour. It is a shame that PT is no more, they had an incredible run. Wilson's BLACKFIELD is another favorite. The first two albums are on a level of songwriting and production second to none.

I know Wilson has a nice solo career, but I miss PT's sound.

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I think one of the best PT boots I have is PT at NEARFEST at the 2001 show? It is an excellent recording from their Lightbulb Sun tour. It is a shame that PT is no more, they had an incredible run. Wilson's BLACKFIELD is another favorite. The first two albums are on a level of songwriting and production second to none.
I know Wilson has a nice solo career, but I miss PT's sound.

Aways wanted to go to nearfest - there's neal morse' big thing he's doing now, but it's not the same

I really liked PT but haven't really been able to get into Steven wilsons other stuff.

#133 3 years ago

Wow beepnutz impressive list. Does anyone have any Roger Dean original artwork?

#134 3 years ago

I got special 2001 NEARFEST art from Roger Dean, 30 pieces went to the bands, 30 to the fans. Another cool program to me was signed by King Crimson members Adrien Belew, Pat Mastelotto and Trey Gunn.

DSCN2477 (resized).JPG

DSCN2519b (resized).jpg

#135 3 years ago

beepnutz. Those are cool as hell! Love both those pieces. Pat Mastelotto's brother in law has been posting on this thread. If anyone has any original Roger Dean artwork or any prog or rock related artwork at all please post pictures! this is a cool direction to take the thread for awhile.

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I really liked PT but haven't really been able to get into Steven wilsons other stuff.

I have really really really tried to get into his solo work. Hands Cannot Erase is probably my favorite but its just not the same as PT.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have really really really tried to get into his solo work. Hands Cannot Erase is probably my favorite but its just not the same as PT.

I agree. PT is where it's at.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I agree. PT is where it's at.

Yep

#139 3 years ago

While I think Deadwing is their mastepiece, there is something special about Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. They are like Rubber Soul and Revolver to me - a perfect blend of various styles of music on two albums at the peak of creativity and craftsmanship.

Also special nod to Voyage 34 and Stars Die. Both oldies but full of musical bliss.

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Check out "traced in air" which is more recent. Then Check out "Focus" which is a little heavier (there are some harsh vocal parts) but is IMO one of the most amazing 30 minutes of music out to tape ever. Headphone music.

Good call on Cynic. Atheist did some interesting jazz influenced death metal too. Also I like John Zorn/Naked City/Painkiller, their music is a mix of grindcore and avant-garde jazz.

Mastodon, Gojira, Devin Townsend, maudlin of the Well, Fates Warning, Meshuggah, Voivod, Arcturus, and Enslaved are some of my other favs that could be labelled progressive metal.

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

Good call on Cynic. Atheist did some interesting jazz influenced death metal too. Also I like John Zorn/Naked City/Painkiller, their music is a mix of grindcore and avant-garde jazz.
Mastodon, Gojira, Devin Townsend, maudlin of the Well, Fates Warning, Meshuggah, Voivod, Arcturus, and Enslaved are some of my other favs that could be labelled progressive metal.

Meshuggah lost me after a while, but i am psyched to know somebody else knows Arcturus!
I hadn't heard of Maudlin of the Well

For those that like Steven Wilson, he did a couple tunes on OST, the Jim Mathews/mike portnoy/Kevin Moore band

Funny, I just pulled out Unquestionable Presence yesterday. I love Tony Choy's playing on there (even if he was playing Roger's baselines, and despite him being in a pop band now

The band Pestilence did one amazing album called "Spheres" which is part death metal but mostly jazzy. Really cool and head and shoulders above their other albums.

Finally, Gordian Knot. Hard to find but has one of my favorite guitarists Doing several guest spots: Ron Jarzombek. The self titled Gordian Knot is an absolute masterpiece

#142 3 years ago

Classic Moody Blues fan here. Mellotrons FTW.

#143 3 years ago

Somebody brought up Tim Follin earlier: Nobuo Uematsu was also heavily influenced by the classic prog sound. Listen to ELP's Tarkus and tell me that doesn't SCREAM 'Final Fantasy VII' at you.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

I love Voivod! Although I payed through the teeth for my copy of Nothingface.

#145 3 years ago

Hocus Pocus by Focus... for when I need my fix of a yodeling, whistling, scatting, keyboard playin' flautist

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Classic Moody Blues fan here. Mellotrons FTW.

I've seen them many times. To our Children's Children's Children's is my favorite hands down.

#147 3 years ago

The Moody Blues have a ton of great LP's, I couldn't pick a favorite.

#148 3 years ago

Anyone have any artwork they could share?

#149 3 years ago

Or cool pictures.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seasons' End is awesome IMO.

+1

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 89.99
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 209.99
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 149.99
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8,999.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 119.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 0.10
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Stuff
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 137.00
$ 7.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside