(Topic ID: 197465)

Prog Rock is awesome!! Fans of the 10 min. keyboard solo!

By Frippertron

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 216 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by ExSquid
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“The Six Wives of Henry VIII is?”

• Something a medieval guy did 4 votes
    18%
  • An epic keyboard album 8 votes
    36%
  • Patrick Moraz' nightmare 1 vote
    5%
  • Prog sucks 9 votes
    41%

(22 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a1646077148_16 (resized).jpg
Yes-close (resized).jpg
images (1) (resized).jpg
DSCN2519b (resized).jpg
DSCN2477 (resized).JPG
bc31425e3b25913dcba88367dddec687 (resized).jpg
BD19 (resized).png
download (2) (resized).jpg
There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago

Methos I love all Peter Gabriel Genesis. Form their MOD stuff in the 60'S through Lamb lies down on Broadway. I like the first two Phil Collins records. Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering in 76. I like Fish Era Marillion, particularly Clutching at Straws. I like Spock's Beard too, I think I only have a couple albums but what I have heard I like. I also have In Absentia by Porcupine Tree. You have good taste my friend

#52 6 years ago

Selling England by the Pound.

#53 6 years ago

This summer I was able to see some cool prog acts. Kansas, Steve Hackett and Dream Theater.

Also the new Steve Wilson is really cool.

Some of my favorites are as follows:

Marillion
Yes
Genesis
Transatlantic
Knight Area
Magenta
Echolyn
The Watch
Opeth
Atoll
Galahad
IQ
Goblin

Pin and Prog are so cool!!

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Methos I love all Peter Gabriel Genesis. Form their MOD stuff in the 60'S through Lamb lies down on Broadway. I like the first two Phil Collins records. Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering in 76. I like Fish Era Marillion, particularly Clutching at Straws. I like Spock's Beard too, I think I only have a couple albums but what I have heard I like. I also have In Absentia by Porcupine Tree. You have good taste my friend

Clutching at Straws is my favorite Fish era record; still like some of the Hogarth stuff, but not everything. Never figured out Brave really. Seasons' End is awesome IMO. But i like the heavier Fish albums.

I'm into other heavier stuff like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Nightwish. Spock's yes! Even Neal's later stuff

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Is there another rock guitarist that sits down when he plays?

Quoted from o-din:

Jeff Healey comes to mind.

Jeff Healy doesn't sit down, he sat down. Past tense.

#56 6 years ago

The first album by UK is one of my fave prog rock albums. The line up was John Wetton on bass and vocals, Allan Holdsworth on guitar, Eddie Jobson on keyboards and electric violin, and Bill Bruford on drums.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

The first album by UK is one of my fave prog rock albums. The line up was John Wetton on bass and vocals, Allan Holdsworth on guitar, Eddie Jobson on keyboards and electric violin, and Bill Bruford on drums.

In the dead of Night... In the dead of NIIIIIIIIGHT!!!! Amazing record. Too bad Holdsworth left so quickly

#58 6 years ago

I love that first U.K. album. Anybody like Moonmadness by Camel? One of the most ethereal prog masterpieces

#59 6 years ago

Calprog. For awhile I listened to Yes non stop. From the Yes album through Relayer are perfect albums. The next 2 had their moments and I like them including the much maligned Tormato. Once Jon Anderson left that marks my cut off. Although I liked The Ladder twenty years later.

#60 6 years ago

Quadrat, do you know the guys name. Off the top of my head King Crimson drummers were Michael Giles, Bill Bruford, Pat Mastelotto, Jamie Muir, Ian Wallace,Andy MacCulloch, Gavin Harrison and Jeremy Stacey. ( I cheated, I had to look up the last 2)

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Calprog. For awhile I listened to Yes non stop. From the Yes album through Relayer are perfect albums. The next 2 had their moments and I like them including the much maligned Tormato. Once Jon Anderson left that marks my cut off. Although I liked The Ladder twenty years later.

I saw Yes on the Tormato tour. Fortunately, they only played two songs from that record.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

In the dead of Night... In the dead of NIIIIIIIIGHT!!!! Amazing record. Too bad Holdsworth left so quickly

I agree, it's too bad Holdsworth and Wetton both recently died. I saw Yes a few weeks after Wetton's death. In tribute, their last encore was Asia's "Heat of the Moment".

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Roxy musics first couple albums were amazing with Eno. Once Brian Ferry wanted to be a crooner. They sucked

Yes, and "Avalon" is probably the worst of them! Really, I never understood the love for this album. I guess it's good "make out" music and would probably be lovely in a dentist's office waiting room, but the avant garde experimental stuff that made the first 4-5 albums so special is all but gone.

As to Prog, I've been a fan for a long time. I've been on a big Canterbury kick lately; love the Jazz arrangements and sense of humor, Prog with soul and swing. I think my favorite albums are Caravan "In the Land of Grey and Pink", Hatfield and the North "Rotter's Club", and Steve Hillage "Fish Rising" (in its own way, just as psychedelic as "Piper at the Gates of Dawn").

Lots of great 21st century stuff out there too. I have enjoyed most all of the albums by Pineapple Thief, Gazpacho, and Big Big Train, and of course almost everything that Steven Wilson has been involved in is worth hearing (though I'd say Blackfield and his solo stuff is the best).

#63 6 years ago

I gotta give those newer bands a listen. That Caravan album is awesome. I myself have been on a Peter Hamill kick lately. Love the avatar thermionic, I was going to use that and saw that you had it. Great minds think alike.

#64 6 years ago

I just picked up a sealed pressing of Strawbs hero and heroine, love that LP

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Magnification is also pretty great -

#66 6 years ago

Going to see King Crimson live for the first time in November, can't wait. As for other prog, I'm a big fan of the krautrock bands like Faust, Can, Neu!, Kraftwerk, Amon Düül II, etc. Also been on a VDGG/Hammill kick as of late too. Been getting into Magma as well.

#67 6 years ago

I have Magnification. Got it when it came out. I don't think I gave it the time it needs to grow on me. I might pop that on tonight. Thanks for the suggestion

#68 6 years ago

I like a little krautrock myself from time to time. Neu! Is cool. I'm jealous of the concert man, have fun. Post about it if you can. Ever give Aphrodite's Child a listen?

#69 6 years ago

Thanks! Should be a great show, I read they're touring with four drummers for the US tour. I was going to see KC in NYC but now going to Boston since their NYC show is the same time as a John Cale/Velvet Underground tribute show I already had tickets for. I need to check out if there are any cool pinball places in Boston, there are a lot in NYC of course, but I think Boston is kind of bare. I've heard 666 by AC and liked it, not familiar with their other albums but know a fair amount of Vangelis. I also need to listen to more Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Quadrat, do you know the guys name. Off the top of my head King Crimson drummers were Michael Giles, Bill Bruford, Pat Mastelotto, Jamie Muir, Ian Wallace,Andy MacCulloch, Gavin Harrison and Jeremy Stacey. ( I cheated, I had to look up the last 2)

Only one of them was the drummer for Mr Mister. Pat Mastelotto. He also drums with them under different names. Sometimes they're called Stick Men (I think that is a smaller version of them..less of them) He's on tour with them right now. I think they have three drummers this tour???

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

Only one of them was the drummer for Mr Mister. Pat Mastelotto. He also drums with them under different names. Sometimes they're called Stick Men (I think that is a smaller version of them..less of them) He's on tour with them right now. I think they have three drummers this tour???

On tour with King Crimson right on (not Stick Men)

#72 6 years ago

I missed the Mr. Mister part my bad. Stick men are real cool. I love watching Tony Levin play the Chapman Stick. Pat is a fantastic drummer, very cool, small world indeed. King Crimson has been doing the multiple percussionist thing for awhile, it works real well live.

#73 6 years ago

It's funny my daughter loves Vangelis. We do the slow mo run from Chariots of Fire all the time lol.

#74 6 years ago

Hey all. I see a couple people from NE PA on this thread. I'm out in Moscow. Where are you playing around here?

#75 6 years ago

Nice! Love me some prog, this thread is supplying me with lots of bands I'm unfamiliar with to check out.

I remember being so pissed when I discovered Crimso that I could have been listening to it 20 years sooner!

My favorite band is the debatably progressive Rush. Haven't seen Gentle Giant mentioned, they have a lot of tasty stuff.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Anybody like Moonmadness by Camel?

Camel was awesome. Saw them at the Roxy in around 1979. Andy Ward was the most insane drummer I ever watched

#77 6 years ago

My favorite Camel album is still the first one.

#78 6 years ago

Camel has done some great work. DanQ right on. In a Glass House is one of my favorite albums of all time not just of Gentle Giant. Anyone dig Strawbs like I do? Their later stuff was folky pop but their early stuff was great.

#79 6 years ago

Hey Jam. You're right down the road from me. Their aren't any places to play in Scranton. I know of a Funhouse at Buona pizza on N. Washington I think in Scranton. South Side Bowl had a Family Guy and idle hour lanes in Dickson City has a No Fear that's in decent shape. I play my one game Stern Meteor with my daughter, my wife hates anything with a passion that's remotely fun.

#80 6 years ago

Pappas pizza had a Spiderman a year ago. I don't know if they still do.

#81 6 years ago

I would be nice to start a barcade in Scranton. I think it could do well by the University

#82 6 years ago

You mentioned early Genesis with Peter Gabriel. I wore that first live album out.

#83 6 years ago

A pipe dream. I don't have that kind of scratch.

#84 6 years ago

It's a shame when most people hear the name Peter Gabriel they think in your eyes, red rain, and sledgehammer. The dude helped create prog rock and I believe was one of the first guys to incorporate world music into rock as well as pioneering digital and electronic music. The dude is a creative powerhouse

#85 6 years ago

Oh yeah. He was out there....

BD19 (resized).pngBD19 (resized).png

#86 6 years ago

How about Foxtrot

bc31425e3b25913dcba88367dddec687 (resized).jpgbc31425e3b25913dcba88367dddec687 (resized).jpg

#87 6 years ago

Camel is amazing. I have all the lps.

I forgot to mention that I recently saw The Musical Box in So Cal twice. They are a tribute band who does early Gabriel Genesis albums. They are amazing musicians and they have the stage set up and costumes like Gabriel wore in the 70's. So cool!! If they play in a town near you go see them!!

#88 6 years ago

The Musical Box was in Jim Thorpe PA a while ago , I was outta town. But a buddy of mine went and said they were incredible. I heard Peter Gabriel brought his own kids to see them so they could see what their old man used to do. That's some high praise. Do they play albums in their entirety?

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I would be nice to start a barcade in Scranton. I think it could do well by the University

Yup. I agree!

So it's good (unfortunately) to know there isn't any secret pinball places I don't know about.

I have an IJ, TFLE, and Volley EM, and it would really by nice to play something different and not have travel 50 miles.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I missed the Mr. Mister part my bad. Stick men are real cool. I love watching Tony Levin play the Chapman Stick. Pat is a fantastic drummer, very cool, small world indeed. King Crimson has been doing the multiple percussionist thing for awhile, it works real well live.

Pat is a very laid back cool guy. I don't know how he put up with my %#$@*@&%(censored) sister for so long.

#91 6 years ago

Tell us how you really feel quad. Gotta love family. Unfortunately I feel that way about ball busting wife

#92 6 years ago

Love that new thread title.

I was a big ELP fan back in the day and recently watched their 40 year reunion concert. Carl Palmer said he thought it wasn't very good, but I thought it was awesome. So much better than when some of those grandpa rockers get back together just to get a paycheck.

#93 6 years ago

Tim Follin was a composer for video games back in the 80s and 90s. He composed some of the most epic sounding tunes on sound chips that were only designed for bleeps and bloops and other sound effects. Definitely influenced by prog rock. I always thought he'd be a good composer for pinball tunes, but he left the industry because while the game music was incredible, the games themselves were terrible and sold poorly.

#94 6 years ago

I can't believe nobody said ELP yet. The question is , what's their best album. Debut, tarkus,trilogy,brain? What do you guys think

#95 6 years ago

Wow mbaumle that is proggy baby!. My question is where the hell did you discover that!

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

My question is where the hell did you discover that!

Growing up, I played the NES to death and back, and I'd often save up some lawn mowing money and have my parents drive me down to "funcoland" (gamestop before it was gamestop) and I'd pick out random games out of the used games bin since I was poor lol. I'd grab all the terrible games, like Solstice, Silver Surfer, Pictionary, etc, and the title and level music of all those games would get me so pumped. Sometimes I'd leave it running just to hear the tunes play over and over. It wasn't until years later I started digging, and found that this guy Tim Follin was responsible for all those incredible tunes. Unfortunately, all those games were bargains because they were absolutely terrible games. But Follin's soundtracks always stuck with me.

While not really a prog sound, here's another tune he did for the ZX Spectrum. A console that only had a single 1-bit beeper for sounds. It was either beeping or not beeping. He somehow managed to make some wizardry coding to create the illusion of polyphony and multiple channels.

And finally, here's a little gem from the Sega Genesis era. The Sega Genesis uses almost an identical sound chip as most William's System 11 pinball machines do (the difference being the pinball machine had a more capable sound chip with more channels). Imagine hearing a tune like this from a pinball machine in the 80s!

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Tim Follin was a composer for video games back in the 80s and 90s. He composed some of the most epic sounding tunes on sound chips that were only designed for bleeps and bloops and other sound effects. Definitely influenced by prog rock. I always thought he'd be a good composer for pinball tunes, but he left the industry because while the game music was incredible, the games themselves were terrible and sold poorly.
» YouTube video

I had that game! And the sequel Equinox (for SNES). Both of them were HARD

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I can't believe nobody said ELP yet. The question is , what's their best album. Debut, tarkus,trilogy,brain? What do you guys think

Or Rush!!

#100 6 years ago

Yes Mr. DanQ mentioned rush. Their prog peak was definitely 2112. They still are prog but not in the traditional sense. I will always love me some Rush!

There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fernandez-vs-ritchie-take-2/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.