(Topic ID: 274812)

Fender Washers on Stern

By TheCnyPinGuy

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi

Getting a NIB TMNT LE in a few days

Want to be prepared and address any concerns before the first ball is launched

I have been reading about pooling if clear and how adding washers will help this concern

Any pictures of your personal games or advice are welcome

This is not meant to be a bash at stern pinball at all just want to enjoy this game with my family and keep it looking it’s best

Thanks
    James

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Hi
    Getting a NIB TMNT LE in a few days
    Want to be prepared and address any concerns before the first ball is launched
    I have been reading about pooling if clear and how adding washers will help this concern
    Any pictures of your personal games or advice are welcome
    This is not meant to be a bash at stern pinball at all just want to enjoy this game with my family and keep it looking it’s best
    Thanks
    James

DO NOT add metal, or any hard, washers. It will only push the pooling out further. If there is pooling, then put silicone washers from Pinball Life or Titan under all the posts subject to ball strikes or under tension from rubbers. They stop the posts from "digging into" the soft clear and from slipping. If there is pooling anywhere then you should protect the whole playfield.

#3 3 years ago

Level game, keep game clean (wax), play game, enjoy game with family. If you hunt for an issue you will more than likely find something. Your family selected a really fun game.

#4 3 years ago

On the latest Stern games like TMNT, you'll notice Stern has removed artwork around almost* all of the posts in the playfield and now you'll see a wood toned circle around the posts. The pooling you mentioned (it's really blistering) used to occur in the artwork under all the posts in the playfield. With no art under the posts, you won't get any pooling under them, so don't worry about that.

You might see a little pooling in all the areas that the stainless steel ball guides are fastened to the playfield, but it seems to be minor compared to the pooling that used the occur around the posts. Well, minor that is unless it chips off a small piece of the blistered art. Some people have loosened all the ball guide mounting points and have put tiny washers under them to lift them off the playfield surface. That's a lot of work, for something you'll probably never notice.

*ah, the asterisk: For whatever reason, it does not look like Stern removed the art under the TMNT outlane posts, so you'll probably see a little pooling there.

Bottom line, TMNT is a great game. Re-read Yelobird's post above and just do what he says. More fun, less worry.

#5 3 years ago

Hi
    ...and keep it looking it’s best

IF there are signs of pooling under posts or guides, then you can spend a little time to protect it by raising the guides and/or installing silicone washers or just hope it doesn't chip. People are different - I wouldn't hesitate to spend a little time to keep the game looking it's best, and protect its resale value. Haven't seen many pins with even minor chipping flying off the Pinside Marketplace shelves without a good discount.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Level game, keep game clean (wax), play game, enjoy game with family. If you hunt for an issue you will more than likely find something. Your family selected a really fun game.

amen!

#7 3 years ago

Thank you everyone

Very excited

Have some silicone washers on order just to be safe

I understand it’s work to do but rather invest a days effort for the peace of mind

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fender-washers-on-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.