Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Nepi23
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

strikes and spares redhead notice (resized).jpg
    SnS MC BV 1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Came across this wandering the webs. This is a serious scholarly study about the use of the female in pinball art. It’s a bit dry and lengthy, but interesting and well-done I thought.

Pinups and Pinball: The Sexualized Female Image in Pinball Artwork

http://scholarworks.rit.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=10384&context=theses

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trond:

Oh no. Don't let this garbage settle in your community. I have seen several hobbies turn into internal shitstorms the moment a group decides that something is problematic or overly sexualized. I'm rather new, so I'm not sure if such discussions common here, but my advice is to ignore it, and support whatever appeals to you.
    As a side note, I also think the author needs to write better abstracts (although I know this vague way of phrasing conclusions may be common in social sciences, I'm in the natural sciences myself).

Trust me, such discussions are very common here, LOL there are quite a few threads that go on about this forever. I just threw this out because it is related to pinball and I had not see this before. This paper provides another point of view and I thought it was an interesting analysis. Of course, it isn't really necessary to go through all of the machines and perform a statistical analysis of whether each one contains a type of sexualization of the female and put it all in a chart, it is pretty obvious if you just glance at 90% of the pinball machines that have been made over time. My own meager collection exhibits a nice cross-section of this phenomenon as I am frequently reminded of.

SnS MC BV 1 (resized).jpgSnS MC BV 1 (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trond:

As a side note, it also reminds me that some of the best pin-up artists are women. I got a signed book by Olivia Berardinis at Comic-Con this year . She made pin-up art for Playboy for many years.

Great reference, hadn't really known her before. She has a cool website and tons of cool art. The wikipedia story about her is kind of interesting - she was a trained artist but was having trouble making a living so she started doing pinup art in the 70s, thinking it would just be a temporary gig to make some quick money. But it stuck so she just continued on with it, to this day.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

men have a penis, women have a vagina.

You can't get a thesis approved with such a brief pithy statement. You gotta pad it out!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

This post reminds me that I am in the market for some big juicy melons. Let me know what you got.

Backglass:

“Melony,” in highly sexualized attire (exposing cleavage, midriff, and upper thigh) holding two round melons against her chest. The character of Melony gazes outward at the player. The entire cast of male characters (and animals) surrounding Melony have their gaze affixed upon her. One man reaches out towards her, two men appear “bug-eyed,” and a man and a dog salivate as they stare. The chaos surrounding her is staged as if her attractiveness were the cause of the upheaval. The truck careening towards her also introduces an element of danger to heighten the tension in the scene.

Playfield:

Four images of women exhibit obvious innuendo by holding melons up to their chest. The female figures in the scene look outward, toward the viewer. In the middle of the playfield, the character “Melony” is lying down in a passive pose in a pile of watermelons. Several male figures cast their eyes upon the female figures in the artwork. In addition to the imagery, text plays a large role in the interpretation of the artwork through character speech bubbles. Although the interplay between text and image is important in discerning meaning (however overt this example may be), text analysis on playfield artwork it is outside the scope of this study.

We gotta put together another research study to analyze the text!!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Nice Strikes & Spares btw! Great pin!

strikes and spares redhead notice (resized).jpgstrikes and spares redhead notice (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/females-in-pinball-art-seriously?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.