(Topic ID: 24747)

Fellow Iron Man owners, how do you have your game set?

By hassellcastle

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chadderack
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

munched (resized).JPG
IMG_6963.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Hi all,

I received my HUO Iron Man on Monday and we're having a blast playing it. Previous owner
took great care of it, but made some setting to his liking. I've since reset the game back to factory setting and I've opened up the outlanes back to factory spec, 2nd hole from the top.

I like to play in tournaments so I like my machines to play like tournament machines and not be a "gimme" with it being set to easy. But I gotta tell ya, with Iron Man set at the factory settings...holy crap, this game is brutal. Very fast ball times, and it's a good game if I can clear 10 million. The outlanes are killing me.

Anyhow I wanted to see how you fellow owners have your games set?
Outlane settings?
Replay value = Extra ball at what point value?
Anything else you may have done to dial your game in better to your liking.

Let me know...
Thanks,
Craig

#2 7 years ago

Factory settings, slightly increased pitch, outlanes on smallest position, tilt bob very lenient. Tournament play is not fun. If you want that them remove the outlane posts entirely.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

I like to play in tournaments so I like my machines to play like tournament machines and not be a "gimme" with it being set to easy.

The tournaments Iv been to with Iron man have IRON MONGER only activated with the center monger shot. So Set that. Also, drop the ball save to 3 seconds, and open up the outlanes...Iv seen the posts removed at local IFPA tournaments.

#4 7 years ago

I play in tournaments as well and have my tilt bob set fairly sensitive. This has made me very good in a short period of time of being able to make safe and effective nudges. Seriously, IM will make you AWESOME at nudging.

#5 7 years ago

3 ball factory settings
Outlanes at factory,2nd from the top.
Replay/extra ball is determined by score and changes depending on how well or poorly the game is being played.
Monger, Whiplash and War machine on hard settings, monger is also only activated after being lit by a center shot.
Top post disabled to make the skill shot harder.
Shaker set at Max.
Volume set to 35 with the speech set just a little louder than the music.
My top score is 127 million.

#6 7 years ago

white rubber kit, red flipper rubbers, somewhat custom 9+ degrees pitch and the upgraded both flipper coils to lotr special coils from pl.

full ff speaker kit plus polk sub. vol set to 50. 5 ball but with factory settings and outlanes on tightest setting, bob set to sensitive. adjusted monger for acurate registers and adjusted lid to reduce air balls. took out death stop rubbers for ramps for faster drops. game is sick and unbelievably fast.

i clean, wax and install new balls and flipper rubbers every 200-300 games. i baby this one. it's an unbelivable machine. stern makes some of the best, without a doubt.

#7 7 years ago

Factory posts and software settings except for the monger which requires a center shot to start. Top score is 120 million.

5 balls and closed all the way outlanes Tommi?

#8 7 years ago

Factory except moved out lanes closed one from factory

#9 7 years ago

Factory settings including outlanes

Changed main rubber to white, flipper rubber is red.

No extra ball tiers.

Jericho Carryover is off.

Still debating on whether or not to add an extra ball tier based on my discussion of DoDMB being close to impossible on 3 balls.

#10 7 years ago

Outlane on smallest position
Safe ball at 10 seconds
extra ball at 24,000,000

I think thats it

#11 7 years ago

Settings with the following changes made:

Outlanes second from bottom.
Ball saver 5 seconds.
Added 10 seconds to timed modes.
6.8 degrees pitch, allows for super fast ramp returns without bounce off from the rubber ramp stops slowing the ball getting to the flippers.
Monger set to hard centre target to start monger & raise monger during multiball
Monger start set to hard so letters start from "M" instead of factory settings starting on "N" or "G" can't remember which now, this also allows better timing to ready whiplash/war machine/ironman for stacking opportunities.

Oh and my Tilt is very very sensitive - like all my games.

Ive tried to balance out my changes, baring in mind I don't care about tournament play at all, for everything I've made a little easier I've tried to counter that by making another part of the game harder or deeper. Most important part of IM is not making it easy or hard but making it FUN!

#12 7 years ago

Man, after having the game set with the outlanes at factory settings, second hole from the top. This game is brutal..it's killing me. Average game is only a puny 5 Million. My son keeps telling me with a smile "I hate this game". It's too fast and over in a second..but he say's that with a smile as he's pushing the start button again, and again...and again.

JonM "Most important part of IM is not making it easy or hard but making it FUN!"

Couldn't agree with you more. It's all about a happy medium with that game so that it is still challenging.

These are the settings I'm going to go with.
3 - Ball per game
Extra Ball fixed at 25 Million Points
Outlanes will be set the second hole from the bottom (I'll try this change tonight and see if it still keeps it challenging). Right now the outlanes are so brutal a slingshot hit almost always results in the ball getting sucked down either the left or right outlane).
Loop Up-post disabled
Set Iron Monger to hard with no letters started at beginning of game. Will take center spinner shot to activate Iron Monger.
Rubber rings were already changed out to white prior to my ownership, with blue flipper rubber. Right now it's pretty bouncy. I need to at least change the flippers back to red.

#13 7 years ago

This is a great thread, I'm going to try several of the different configurations on my machine.

The biggest improvement for me that I fixed a few days ago was updating the software from ver 0.7 to 1.6 ......... It is like a different game now

#14 7 years ago

White rubbers make IM crazy and even harder to control the ball. Black works best on it even though White looks better.

2 months later
#15 7 years ago

Factory settings and outlane at smallest.
4 balls per game
No carry over of Jericho from ball to ball

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

The tournaments Iv been to with Iron Man have IRON MONGER only activated with the center monger shot. So Set that. Also, drop the ball save to 3 seconds, and open up the outlanes...Iv seen the posts removed at local IFPA tournaments.

YES, do this...set Iron Monger to Hard so only the center shot starts it. Makes the game MUCH more enjoyable without IM popping up all the time. Keep the outlanes factory and all other settings factory.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Settings with the following changes made:
Outlanes second from bottom.
Ball saver 5 seconds.
Added 10 seconds to timed modes.
6.8 degrees pitch, allows for super fast ramp returns without bounce off from the rubber ramp stops slowing the ball getting to the flippers.
Monger set to hard centre target to start monger & raise monger during multiball
Monger start set to hard so letters start from "M" instead of factory settings starting on "N" or "G" can't remember which now, this also allows better timing to ready whiplash/war machine/ironman for stacking opportunities.
Oh and my Tilt is very very sensitive - like all my games.
Ive tried to balance out my changes, baring in mind I don't care about tournament play at all, for everything I've made a little easier I've tried to counter that by making another part of the game harder or deeper. Most important part of IM is not making it easy or hard but making it FUN!

Set it to start at "I"...spell "Iron" first before "Monger".

#18 7 years ago

All factory I think.

Such a great set of rules on this pin.

As an aside, anyone used LED's for the mark ladder? Got teal blue at moment but not 100% sure so open to suggestions......

IMG_6963.JPG

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

All factory I think.
Such a great set of rules on this pin.
As an aside, anyone used LED's for the mark ladder? Got teal blue at moment but not 100% sure so open to suggestions......

Go with white LEDs...ghostbusters from PBL are perfect. Also, change the bogey "value" lamps to a sequence of White, Yellow, Orange, Red. Looks awesome.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Go with white LEDs...ghostbusters from PBL are perfect. Also, change the bogey "value" lamps to a sequence of White, Yellow, Orange, Red. Looks awesome.

Thanks for this.

Any strobing in the mark inserts? For some reason different LED's strobe in these inserts. But not tried PBL!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Any strobing in the mark inserts? For some reason different LED's strobe in these inserts. But not tried PBL!

Not that my eyes can detect.

#22 7 years ago

I've got Cointaker Premium Non-ghosting LED's and they look awesome on this pin.
I too have the Bogey values white, yellow, orange and red. It looks great.

4 years later
#23 2 years ago

Sorry for opening this thread again, but just did a search on loop up post/Iron Man.

Turned on the machine for the first time in a while, then remembered why I shut it off... it had become "purple fat f__k" pinball because the up post at the top of the loop is non-operational, meaning every time you plunge you're likely to get double the spinners (full orbit) and have purple fat f--k all day and nothing else. That's absolutely no fun.

I have to figure out what's wrong with the up post... there's a setting that's supposed to shut it off... but it's actually on, so there's a malfunction.

#24 2 years ago

F 5 ball.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Sorry for opening this thread again, but just did a search on loop up post/Iron Man.
Turned on the machine for the first time in a while, then remembered why I shut it off... it had become "purple fat f__k" pinball because the up post at the top of the loop is non-operational, meaning every time you plunge you're likely to get double the spinners (full orbit) and have purple fat f--k all day and nothing else. That's absolutely no fun.
I have to figure out what's wrong with the up post... there's a setting that's supposed to shut it off... but it's actually on, so there's a malfunction.

Why don't you set Monger to hard ? You then need more shots to light him and set Start Monger to Centre Lane only. That way you choose when to start Monger.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Why don't you set Monger to hard ? You then need more shots to light him and set Start Monger to Centre Lane only. That way you choose when to start Monger.

Yeah, in the interim I did that. Helped a bit with game play, but no up post yet. Troubleshooting it.

#27 2 years ago

Well here's the issue with the up post at least GREAT design, Stern. Seems they soldered this on in such a way that the wires would get hammered by the coil piston. It chewed clean through both of them.

munched (resized).JPG

Guess I can fix that but will have to figure out how to keep the wires out of the jaws of that hungry coil piston.

Now on to figuring out why the War Machine kickback hasn't worked for months, either (maybe the same issue)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
4,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Upper Freehold, NJ

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside