(Topic ID: 210760)

Feelings on sellers with lack of Integrity (backed out on a deal)

By Drewblood419

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

143058_0 copy (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

(EDIT) my post was overly descriptive and the involved parties asked me to take it down so I am. I will simply ask the question "How do you feel about sellers backing out of deals that have been agreed upon for higher offers being made after the deal is done" If you have a story like this that happened to you feel free to vent it here.....

(EDIT 2) Apparently I misunderstood and the deal in question ended mutually. Feel free to continue the discussion on the question but I was mistaken on the original reason for asking it in the first place (insert foot in mouth here lol)

#2 6 years ago

Douchey move ... a deal is a deal.

What’s $200 in the greater scheme of things?

rd

#3 6 years ago

I have tried to buy 5 pins here at their price. 3 turned into "auctions" even after a "I will take it". The other 2 had " I will take it" and all was good until silence. Those must have turned into auctions too but they didn't have the balls to even tell me.

#4 6 years ago

Just happened to me. Had an offer and an acceptance on that prototype police force for sale. I set up to have it picked up and he says oh I got more money from someone else. Going to sell it to them. Thread closed ASAP so I can’t point out the lack of of integrity. Not even a hey I was offered this, I can offer it to you at the same price. Plenty of douches out there.

#5 6 years ago

Total bitch move by those sellers.

#6 6 years ago

it sucks, but it has always happened, it will always happen

unless $$ have changed hands, easier to move on

#7 6 years ago

I've been the seller and said deal then was offer more. told him I'd give your number to the new buyer for when he's ready to sell.

Also have said I'd take it and he held it for a week no deposit. And the deal happen even tho he was offered more cash. So there are some good guys out there.

Only once I've been out bid after we made a deal on three projects pin. he said I could match his offer but I passed.

#8 6 years ago

That's not right a deal is a deal, you have to be a man of you word...some things are worth more than money.

#9 6 years ago

Well I had a reverse thing going on a customer (drunkenly) bought my machine, after a few weeks came over to pick it up and tried to back out of the deal? Well I got a deposit of $500 from him first thankfully, anyways calmly told him I couldn't refund his luit and lowered the price of my pin by $500 and sold it to someone else!

#10 6 years ago

I've had people try to offer me more then what I'm selling the game to someone else for. My thing on it is that your reputation is everything and all it takes is one stupid decision like taking a higher offer after you've agreed to a price with someone else. The moment you do something to damage that reputation then nobody else wants to deal with you ever again and in a small niche hobby like this one the word spreads fast.

John

#11 6 years ago

I don’t like sales turning into auctions. If you agree on a price, keep your word and work the deal. I try to be honest and if I say I’m doing something, I do it. I would never back out of a deal unless it was an extreme emergency.

#12 6 years ago

I made a deal with a guy in Fresno to buy his Sing Along. Rented a pickup truck the night before. Called right before I left for the 6 hour round trip to have the guy tell me that he just sold it to someone else.....sorry.

I understand the "first with cash on the glass" take, but we had talked the night before and it was too late to leave, so we agreed on the following morning. He said "It's yours" and gave me his address.

#13 6 years ago

Best line in the movie Rob Roy - "Honor is a man's gift to himself". I guess some people have never learned this lesson.

#14 6 years ago

One of my recent favorites from movies "A man is what he thinks about all day long" - The Founder

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Drewblood419:

(EDIT) my post was overly descriptive and the involved parties asked me to take it down so I am. I will simply ask the question "How do you feel about sellers backing out of deals that have been agreed upon for higher offers being made after the deal is done" If you have a story like this that happened to you feel free to vent it here.....

Hang on, the "party" who pulled a douche move on you asks that you edit/remove your descriptive post because it outs them as a dishonorable seller? They screwed you and then ask your to protect their reputation? SCREW THAT!!!

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Hang on, the "party" who pulled a douche move on you asks that you edit/remove your descriptive post because it outs them as a dishonorable seller? They screwed you and then ask your to protect their reputation? SCREW THAT!!!

100% this. I’d love to know who it was so I can be sure not to deal with them. Bitch move to back out and an even bigger bitch move asking you not to identify them.

#17 6 years ago

How do you feel about sellers backing out of deals that have been agreed upon for higher offers being made after the deal is done

It sucks, and it would be even worse if a deposit was already down. But, then I know to never do a deal with them again, and warn others about possible issues in dealing with them. It simply means they have no integrity, so why bother dealing with them if they will pull the rug out from under a deal without warning.

#18 6 years ago

nevermind

#19 6 years ago

No the buyer asked me to pull back on the reigns a bit and keep it civil

#20 6 years ago

This could turn into a witch hunt really fast, lets face it just like the big corporations ethics are thrown out the window for capitalism. Does the seller have the right to take the best and highest offer he can sure, is he cheating this honorable system in place in pinball right now sure. Instead of running an auction and paying a premium he's exploiting the art of the handshake deal, which is terrible but not punishable...yet! lol

#21 6 years ago

No the buyer asked me to pull back on the reigns a bit and keep it civil

Ok, the buyer may not have known you had a deal. But it's "nevermind" that sold it out from under you, correct?

#22 6 years ago

...All rise court is now in session!

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Ok, the buyer may not have known you had a deal. But it's retrotoys that sold it out from under you, correct?

No im not the buyer and that wasnt who it was. At this point the deal is totally dead I was curious how others felt and how often these type of shenanigans happen. Personally I haven't ever had it happen to me so I was a bit surprised by it all.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

The moment you do something to damage that reputation then nobody else wants to deal with you ever again and in a small niche hobby like this one the word spreads fast.

Doesn't seem to be the case here: I see lots of complaints but no one is outed. Are you guys at least leaving feedback on their profiles, so there's a yellow light for future deals?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

This could turn into a witch hunt really fast, lets face it just like the big corporations ethics are thrown out the window for capitalism. Does the seller have the right to take the best and highest offer he can sure, is he cheating this honorable system in place in pinball right now sure. Instead of running an auction and paying a premium hes exploiting the art of the handshake deal which is terrible but not punishable...yet! lol

I call bullsh*t. You want to come on here at pinside as a seller, set a price for a machine and then back out of "made deals", take it to Ebay. Want to know who this seller is and NEVER deal with them.

As ANY honorable business knows, it's about reputation. To the customer, perception IS reality. As a business, don't make stupid moves that ruin a reputation because a tainted perception will spread like wildfire!

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Doesn't seem to be the case here: I see lots of complaints but no one is outed. Are you guys at least leaving feedback on their profiles, so there's a yellow light for future deals?

That's what the feedback system is there for, but unfortunately, not many take advantage of it. It's not ebay where negative feedback doesn't matter. But, I think some people just don't want to be "that guy" and go on the record saying something negative about someone else's reputation.

#27 6 years ago

Actually, a deal was made, a deposit was made, and shipping arrangements were made. The seller backed out and sold it for $200 more to someone else. ANY lawyer in the world will tell you this is an actionable offense because the buyer took considerable actions to consummate the transaction.

The seller is a 100% dishonest person, OUT HIM. The rest of pinside deserves to protect themselves against this kind of crap.

#28 6 years ago

No im not the buyer and that wasnt who it was. At this point the deal is totally dead I was curious how others felt and how often these type of shenanigans happen. Personally I haven't ever had it happen to me so I was a bit surprised by it all.

No one else on Pinside should have to go through that either, pure crap.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's what the feedback system is there for, but unfortunately, not many take advantage of it. It's not ebay where negative feedback doesn't matter. But, I think some people just don't want to be "that guy" and go on the record saying something negative about someone else's reputation.

I still defend my ebay account with a stick lol, I take a lot of pride in having 100% positive feedback. Does it really not matter these days???

#30 6 years ago

If you sell a lot of stuff. You will occasionally run into bad people. No way around it.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Actually, a deal was made, a deposit was made, and shipping arrangements were made. The seller backed out and sold it for $200 more to someone else. ANY lawyer in the world will tell you this is an actionable offense because the buyer took considerable actions to consummate the transaction.
    The seller is a 100% dishonest person, OUT HIM. The rest of pinside deserves to protect themselves against this kind of crap.

I believe this is the machine in question:

nevermind.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

People make mistakes man, one of the greatest human traits is compassion. I hate to be the juror who goes against the grain but there could be a million reasons he faked on the deal and we'll never know unless he tells us. Lets give the OP props for being a man of his word and not outing him, whats the worst thing that's going to happen you wont get your pin.

it's not like hes...lol

143058_0 copy (resized).jpg143058_0 copy (resized).jpg

#33 6 years ago

I was the buyer of the machine in question. The seller and I worked out a deal and this is no longer an issue. I backed out of the deal due to some other issues. It was a huge, obviously, misunderstanding.

#34 6 years ago

I don't believe this thread was intended to oust anyone. I had simply told my buddy the story about a machine that I was buying and had reservations about the machine, which is not the one that is listed above. Upon speaking with the seller and the shipping company we both decided it was not the correct machine to buy and there's no hard feelings towards this guy. The thread has blown up out of proportion.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

People make mistakes man, one of the greatest human traits is compassion. I hate to be the juror who goes against the grain but there could be a million reasons he faked on the deal and we'll never know unless he tells us. Lets give the OP props for being a man of his word and not outing him, whats the worst thing that's going to happen you wont get your pin.
    it's not like hes...lol

Are you kidding me?

anyway, nevermind. ALL the stories keep changing.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballology:

I don't believe this thread was intended to oust anyone. I had simply told my buddy the story about a machine that I was buying and had reservations about the machine, which is not the one that is listed above. Upon speaking with the seller and the shipping company we both decided it was not the correct machine to buy and there's no hard feelings towards this guy. The thread has blown up out of proportion.

I hope you can find the machine you want WITHOUT all the drama. A deal is a deal, the seller should have stuck to his deal. You backed out for the RIGHT reason.

Good luck man!

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

I still defend my ebay account with a stick lol, I take a lot of pride in having 100% positive feedback. Does it really not matter these days???

For long time, ebay has had a habit of quietly removing negative feedback when a seller complains.

#38 6 years ago

Just happened to me recently. Seller wouldn't sell it to me unless he got more money after we agreed on a price. (An extra 700 bucks). It really sucked but I promised Him I wouldn't tell anybody who he was. I'm not really that upset. I love the machine. Life goes on. No biggie.

#39 6 years ago

This was NOT meant to be a witch hunt or put anyone on blast. My buddy is helping me out because I'm new to the pinball community, literally just setup my first two pins last week and he's helping me get into the hobby. No way in hell is this meant to discredit anyone in the community, we both agreed that the deal wasn't for me. After all the drama on the thread maybe it's not the community for me......anyone interested in an Aerosmith Pro or an ACDC Premium Vault????? : )

#40 6 years ago

This was NOT meant to be a witch hunt or put anyone on blast. My buddy is helping me out because I'm new to the pinball community, literally just setup my first two pins last week and he's helping me get into the hobby. No way in hell is this meant to discredit anyone in the community, we both agreed that the deal wasn't for me. After all the drama on the thread maybe it's not the community for me......anyone interested in an Aerosmith Pro or an ACDC Premium Vault????? : )

NOPE, play the hell out of those and when the time is right, get that 3rd machine.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

NOPE, play the hell out of those and when the time is right, get that 3rd machine.

Hahaha. Holy shit a forum can get fired up.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Just happened to me recently. Seller wouldn't sell it to me unless he got more money after we agreed on a price. (An extra 700 bucks). It really sucked but I promised Him I wouldn't tell anybody who he was. I'm not really that upset. I love the machine. Life goes on. No biggie.

I feel like this is turning into a confessional here...how many more will come forward who've been scared from a stick up deal! lol I actually hear about it all the time with a-list stuff, people backing in and out of the deals like there day trading! If its a 1 time thing and a private seller I can understand, but an established seller who moves in volume that's deplorable!

#43 6 years ago

That’s what I call greedy flippers. But lately it’s been just about every Tom, DICK, and Harry doing it. Started collecting around 1999. Have sold several hundred pins/vids. Been offered more money from other people to out-buy games plenty of times. Never going to happen with a game I sell once a deal is made. But if buyer doesn’t make it in time agreed apon then I will sell it to someone else.

#44 6 years ago

st week and he's helping me get into the hobby. No way in hell is this meant to discredit anyone in the community, we both agreed that the deal wasn't for me. After all the drama on the thread maybe it's not the community for me......anyone interested in an Aerosmith Pro or an ACDC Premium Vault????? : )

People just simply like to circle the wagons when someone wrongs someone else.

The original question made it sound like the seller was fully at fault, so everyone responded as if that's what happened:

"How do you feel about sellers backing out of deals that have been agreed upon for higher offers being made after the deal is done"

Since it sounds like it's not the case, and instead a mutual agreement, I'm sure this thread will calm down.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

For long time, ebay has had a habit of quietly removing negative feedback when a seller complains.

You are right about that. I still remember how great it was as a seller to leave a negative on a buyer...those were the days lol

#46 6 years ago

Hahaha. Holy shit a forum can get fired up.

It can , because as a forum we can spread the word on a bad seller. But if you are saying is was a misunderstanding, we should all go with that.

#47 6 years ago

I know it's kinda the kiss of death but if I'm unsure of how much I think I may get for a item vs what the fair market value of it is I'll just stick it on ebay with a Buy It Now and Best Offer? at least its not feeding it to the wolves as an auction, you hardly ever see pins auctioned off on ebay anymore, DMD's at least?

#48 6 years ago

A deal isn't a deal until money is exchanged and a hand shake ensues. For every "douchy" seller there is a flaky buyer that backs out on a deal as well. Nature of the hobby when you're dealing with high value collectibles. Sure it sucks you lost out on a machine, but blaming a guy cause they were able to get more money? That's Commy talk ! Groovy, Smashing, Yay Capitalism !

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

It can , because as a forum we can spread the word on a bad seller. But if you are saying is was a misunderstanding, we should all go with that.

And spread the praise of a good seller!

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

A deal isn't a deal until money is exchanged and a hand shake ensues. For every "douchy" seller there is a flaky buyer that backs out on a deal as well. Sure it sucks you lost out on a machine but blaming a guy cause they were able to get more money? That's Commy talk ! Groovy, smashing. Yay Capitalism !

I think you missed that a deposit WAS involved.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feelings-on-sellers-with-lack-of-integrity-backed-out-on-a-deal?hl=micky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.