• Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZfin_005.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Pinball Decals sells a real nice slot machine mod, but it comes with a hefty price tag.

http://pinballdecals.com/TwilightZoneUltimateSlotMachinePage.html

image.jpgimage.jpg

Anyone have this and can share thoughts? Or does anyone know where to buy the base slot machine so I can make my own? I'm not talking the pencil sharpener version. I have that, and while it's an option I don't see being able to modify it to be like the one above.

Thanks,

Brian

#2 10 years ago

Can't remember who it was, but there was one of the guys on here that had a page of "how to make your own TZ mods from the same parts that the guys who sell them for big bucks". Can't remember if it was Vid1900, or LTG, or....?

I know the page exists, I've seen it, and as far as I know, the only way to do that slot machine mod is with the pencil sharpener as the donor part.

#3 10 years ago

I made my own. It had 3 circuits. 1 for GI, 1 for slot machine, 1 for super slot. making the hole in the slot machine so its just the right size for the balls to hit the reels is a PITA though.

#4 10 years ago

I have one but its older and doesnt have the 2 left and right front leds. Last owner didnt have it installed due to it not working. Washers fixed that prob.... the bracket bent over time and need more support.

Prob I had was trying to get it just right so that a pinball would spin the reels. I eventually gave up on that as it was just to fine of a line between working and ball stuck in it.

I thought they were all the same though like the tv mod ornaments ?..... mine feels fairly heavy / sturdy for what it is. For me this and the piano mod are must haves. They look great.

#5 10 years ago

I have one of these. Can't remember how much I paid for it, but it is cool. Don't really notice the wheels spinning when I play it, so maybe a less expensive static one is just as good.

#6 10 years ago

If you are handy with tools and have a hole saw you can make one pretty easily.

http://www.pencilthings.com/product-p/mei%20mx8661.htm

#7 10 years ago

I have had no problem cutting the pencil sharpener, hand painting took no time, and if you want LED, no problem. Still, a little work, but the best way to go.

If you are searching...the Slot is a Watling Roll a top or "Roll a Tor"

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

If you are handy with tools and have a hole saw you can make one pretty easily.
http://www.pencilthings.com/product-p/mei%20mx8661.htm

Cool. I purchased a few. This looks to be the one sold by pinball decals. I'm sure there's a lot of work ahead, but it should be a cool project. Now I have to find the right LEDs for the application.

#9 10 years ago

Cool. I purchased a few. This looks to be the one sold by pinball decals. I'm sure there's a lot of work ahead, but it should be a cool project. Now I have to find the right LEDs for the application.

You also need some flat stock to make the base plate to attach it to the ramp but you can buy a lot of these for 174 bucks.
There are enough pencil sharpeners on that site to fill several games, they also have the train, phone and vault for TAF.
Salvaged siderails work great nice brushed stainless stock for making ball guides ramp protectors etc. and great straight edges for trimming decals.
I put an led in the scoop to light it off of the feature light but you can also tap into the GI if you want it on all the time.

TZfin_005.jpgTZfin_005.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Can someone post directions for drilling the slot machine and adding the LEDs?

Thank You

10 months later
#11 9 years ago

I just saw this thread. How did you guys drill the hole?

Can someone post some close up photos of how it's mounted? Thanks.

2 years later
#12 7 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

I just saw this thread. How did you guys drill the hole?
Can someone post some close up photos of how it's mounted? Thanks.

Anyone got more info on this ?
I have the pencil Sharpner now

#13 7 years ago

Hole saw. You have to line up the starter bit dead center or you will chop the slot machine all to hell. I would recommend holding it in a vise too.

I think pinballdecals has some of the highest prices ever but some mods just aren't worth doing yourself.. whichever way you end up with it though, this IS a cool mod. I love how the little wheels spin when the ball comes through

#14 7 years ago

You can use a dremel with a metal cutting blade for the initial cut and then get a sharpening stone attachment and round it out. Not as clean as a hole saw, but that hole saw better be extremely sharp or it's going to tear it up or throw it across the room. The hardest part of the whole thinh is mounting it, too low and the ball gets stuck, too high and the reels won't spin.

#15 7 years ago

I have a Dremel, so start with a small hole and then just work it bigger and bigger. The spinning wheels is that from the balls physically running on the underside of the inside of the wheels, or is it some other mechanism ?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

I have a Dremel, so start with a small hole and then just work it bigger and bigger. The spinning wheels is that from the balls physically running on the underside of the inside of the wheels, or is it some other mechanism ?

The mod comes with small paper (?) shims to get the level just right so the ball makes contact with the wheels to spin them.

I get the DIY attitude, but for this? Wow, some of you guys must have too much time on your hands. I can't imagine trying to hole saw the slot machine and mount the spinning wheels just right.

Wiring up the Hallmark STTNG ship ornaments, I'm with you. This slot machine...you lost me.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Wow, some of you guys must have too much time on your hands.

If I had a nickle every time I thought this on here...

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If I had a nickle every time I thought this on here...

HA! Good point. That goes for a lot more than just making mods.

#19 7 years ago

Its a hobby for me, and i'm from Scottish decent living in Africa so i'm not paying $178 for something I can make for thirty

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The mod comes with small paper (?) shims to get the level just right so the ball makes contact with the wheels to spin them.
I get the DIY attitude, but for this? Wow, some of you guys must have too much time on your hands. I can't imagine trying to hole saw the slot machine and mount the spinning wheels just right.
Wiring up the Hallmark STTNG ship ornaments, I'm with you. This slot machine...you lost me.

can anyone take photos of the wiring and what the Mechnism looks like please ?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Its a hobby for me, and i'm from Scottish decent living in Africa so i'm not paying $178 for something I can make for thirty

But you can't make it for thirty because you don't know how. Mods might look cheap to make, but getting them right comes with a cost, including labor. The slot mod can take 3-4 hours to make and that doesn't include all the testing that went into it and the wasted slots that were f'ed up in that testing. at $25/hr you are now up to $105-$130 plus shipping, LEDs, wiring, etc. I have made the mod for people in the past and charged $100 shipped, but we won't sell it regularly because we dont want to be charging so much, it is labor intensive and you need to have patience when installing as it requires a bit of fiddling.

Now, there are three different circuits, one to light the reel off GI, one to light the two side LEDs under the plastic and one to light the top off the slot door panel.

#22 7 years ago

Great, I'm planning on selling my slot machine but it's going to take awHile to figure out a price betwixed $5-175

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

can anyone take photos of the wiring and what the Mechnism looks like please ?

This seems a little questionable

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

But you can't make it for thirty because you don't know how. Mods might look cheap to make, but getting them right comes with a cost, including labor. The slot mod can take 3-4 hours to make and that doesn't include all the testing that went into it and the wasted slots that were f'ed up in that testing. at $25/hr you are now up to $105-$130 plus shipping, LEDs, wiring, etc. I have made the mod for people in the past and charged $100 shipped, but we won't sell it regularly because we dont want to be charging so much, it is labor intensive and you need to have patience when installing as it requires a bit of fiddling.
Now, there are three different circuits, one to light the reel off GI, one to light the two side LEDs under the plastic and one to light the top off the slot door panel.

thanks im going to give it a try

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

YOU ARE RIGHT, ITS NOT EASY AT ALL

I had to get the right dremel bits at $12 and it took me a while, but I did get it cut out and drilled

I had a blast doing it though, and thats a big part of it for me, to know I made that part in my Twilight zone

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

YOU ARE RIGHT, ITS NOT EASY AT ALL
I had to get the right dremel bits at $12 and it took me a while, but I did get it cut out and drilled
I had a blast doing it though, and thats a big part of it for me, to know I made that part in my Twilight zone

nice! pics of finished result?

#27 7 years ago

I am still busy with it, probably pick it up next weekend again, need to figure out the way to attach it to the game

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Pinball Decals sells a real nice slot machine mod, but it comes with a hefty price tag.
http://pinballdecals.com/TwilightZoneUltimateSlotMachinePage.html

Anyone have this and can share thoughts? Or does anyone know where to buy the base slot machine so I can make my own? I'm not talking the pencil sharpener version. I have that, and while it's an option I don't see being able to modify it to be like the one above.
Thanks,
Brian

I have had a few of these. I made some myself and bought some. This one is night and day better than all the rest. They use multiple circuits in their mods not just a single light that flashes. Well worth the money and by far the best. I just sold a TZ and the buyer wanted my other game with this mod as it stands out next to a single circuit slot. I kept my TZ with this mod as it was not for sale.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

I am still busy with it, probably pick it up next weekend again, need to figure out the way to attach it to the game

mount the slot machine on a piece of acryllic with some epoxy, which would go under the ramp and attach the acryllic to the screws on the ramp where the wireform attaches. The true test of how good you did is whether you can get the reels to spin after it is installed, the tolerance is small as too much and the ball will get stuck and too little it will roll under the reels.

1 year later
#30 5 years ago

Anybody making this mod anymore?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Anybody making this mod anymore?

Yellowbird said he was offering them for sale, contact him

#32 5 years ago

Yes, these will be available via our website store at www.TheModCouplePinball.com Thanks!

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yes, these will be available via our website store at www.TheModCouplePinball.com Thanks!

Thanks Guys

#34 5 years ago

Website says their sold out

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Website says their sold out

We sold out the first day the site opened. We will have more in stock soon and I will update all when they are done. Thanks to all for the interest.

The Mod Couple

2 years later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 12.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 132.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feedback-wanted-twilight-zone-ultimate-slot-machine-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.