(Topic ID: 303747)

Thoughts on Halloween and Ultraman so far?

By Vino

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Lostcause
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1CDEF88A-5BA5-4714-A39C-AF14AF172334 (resized).png
E81096CF-5F75-43D4-B52D-BF0A21C5578A (resized).jpeg
C211DA44-BF1D-4C48-9836-1E21BB859D53 (resized).png
9159CC71-878F-48CD-AAEC-41B03ED9FFED (resized).png
9FBD4F12-A152-4A42-BD73-257120C5B039 (resized).png
D2E0C735-F6C3-4D60-9914-EAD8EE2A8A4F.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 1 year ago

Some thoughts I had 3 weeks ago with a couple added. The #1 thing is it feels like a real legitimate pinball machine.

Its a mixed bag now but it has some really good things going for it.
The pumpkin modes are actually really varied, unique, and fun.
There is a lot of negative shots in the game you need to avoid, which is another cool feature.
Nice risk/reward/rpg elements with spending earned blood droplets for bonii/improvements
Tight fast little layout that packs a lot of stuff in.
Code is the big issue so hopefully it will improve. Stacked modes are very confusing and not explained well on screen.
Sanitarium mode can sort of take over the game and if you don't complete it you're just kind of slogging away.
LED strips, even turned all the way down, can wash out some if the smaller inserts.
House attack csn seem to go one forever, or end really quick...might need to test the spinner up there.
Right orbit can be tuff and if its the last shot you're stuck; but thats pinball.

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Thank you for the detailed update. I played a friend’s Halloween and enjoyed it but agree it was difficult to assess stacked modes as well. Maybe a little more game feedback - callouts or completed cues on screen.

Yeah ill update the code and see whats improved

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can’t just browbeat people into thinking a layout is fun.

I can see both sides here.
If you say you don't like the lifters and think it's horrible I can understand & that's totally fair.
But to act like the ball just keeps shooting out & draining all the time is a bit much. It tricked my wife for a couple games and she plays pinball aboot twice a year & I guarantee she's much higher than Viggen; and she got used to it.
There's audio & flasher cues.

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Yeah that was a challenge at TPF when I couldn’t hear the audio cue but much better in a home environment.

Sure, then look for the Flashers, or realize the ball always re-appears from the lifters.

#119 1 year ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I have played a Halloween out in the wild that this shot was an absolute brick

It's not great, but at least you can shoot it form both flippers and and easy upper PF shot.

1 week later
#139 1 year ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I played one for the first time in a home environment and wanted to throw the game out to the curb due to its many design flaws.

Did you play this "in a home environment" really, or play it in a "tournament setting?"
I'm not here for a brow-beating (sp?) becasue the game is NOT great at explaining things, but I know you know a lot aboot rules and aren't fucking stupid at the same time
I think we need to hear from JackPot Jared.

#150 1 year ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

We talked about the game yesterday as a matter of fact as he asked TheLaw about the rules and strats. Major giveaway from our talk was just hit the middle ramp over and over to do well on it, ignore the rest.

Sort of ignoring all the MBs that way which usually isn't the best tournament strategy

Anyway, throw it out the door is fine by me. I'm just not agreeing with a tournament being home playing. Carry on.

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Its a competitive landscape out there for pinball dollars....at 8-9k, Ultraman just didn't do it.

I wish it was only 8-9k!

1 month later
#181 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Owning a Halloween, I feel that it's both amazing, as well as lacking at times. There is an odd sense of not being cohesive in spots. Amazing production design, art, then you get a bunch of bland looking clear plastic pieces, bridges, the house upper ramp and dump thingie with nothing to decorate it. Some of the art that wasn't done by the amazing Jason Edminston looks poor in comparison to the rest of the art so theres another dump on cohesion. The design looks great then you have the exposed LED strips that again kind of bring it down. To be fair when on and lit up the led strips and lot of the ugly parts are basically hidden because of the light, so lot of the warts are more when its off and you are observing the detail.
The game code feels kind of sloppy and confusing, there is a lot jammed into the game which might be good for some, but I find it a bit overwhelming as it's hard to keep track of what im supposed to do and the on board indications/instruction is often hard to figure out.
The clips from the movie, the audio bits from the movie, all fantastic and the amazing Carpenter soundtrack really are huge gets for a game and just always are amazing to hear in play. But then the new audio bits recorded by fake Loomis and PJ Soles just sound really out of place and used too often. I would have rather they attempted to use more clips or only clips from the film audio rather than the new recorded audio cause it just doesn't gel. You got sound bytes of the real loomis going then you got fake loomis yelling at you over it. The art/animation is also pretty rough, but I'm waiting to see what the new update with the updated animations brings to the game as Ultraman got a big update to it's animations that really made it look far more cohesive. Halloween feels like it needs more polish overall.
Now overall I enjoy it, but as mentioned it just feels like it falls short in various spots, many of which I think can be fixed with code and updates still as the game has been getting better with each update.

I agree with the overall sloppiness, but for me it's all in how the modes interact with each other and the player.
I DO agree PJ soles is way over the top; but FFS the goddam Loomis call outs are so bad they won me over; a la Dirty Harry.

#184 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

...Stern and JJP are becoming homogeneous and ...

Agree to disagree.
Halloween could def be a winner with some tweaking though.

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s a bold statement for sure. I’m always engaged by the Elwins and Borgs but most everything else isn’t hitting the mark for me these days.

Well I do see what you're saying.
Borg is pretty much done for sure; no Lyman to bail out his copy and paste. Elwin clear obvious best in the game.
if Lawlor is done with JJP that leaves SR and that's a big unknown but I'm hopeful. Eric does nothing for me.

Halloween has great shit but they gotta put it all together. Take 10K and ask me if I want a HWNCE or a GZ prem; pretty easy choice for me.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Man, no love for Rush? It's such a great layout...

I'm a bit sick of it a this point.

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Couldn’t agree more. Except that I’d like both HWNCE and GZLE for the win!

Well for sure. I have my AIQ & Halloween next to each other; completely diff'rent and cool in their own way.
Love the modes in Halloween.

The new blue blood droplets aren't jiving with me though

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feedback-on-halloween-and-ultraman-?tu=thelaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.