(Topic ID: 303747)

Thoughts on Halloween and Ultraman so far?

By Vino

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Lostcause
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1CDEF88A-5BA5-4714-A39C-AF14AF172334 (resized).png
E81096CF-5F75-43D4-B52D-BF0A21C5578A (resized).jpeg
C211DA44-BF1D-4C48-9836-1E21BB859D53 (resized).png
9159CC71-878F-48CD-AAEC-41B03ED9FFED (resized).png
9FBD4F12-A152-4A42-BD73-257120C5B039 (resized).png
D2E0C735-F6C3-4D60-9914-EAD8EE2A8A4F.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider palmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

so a pause and redesign to remove that useless stack on the right and make better use of the playfield over there can fix the design issues that will never be helped with software.

and I don't think even he can beat that stack and some of the weird geometry in Spooky's duo.

Useless stack? Are you talking about the upper playfields? I am not following. You think the shots are weird on both games? Have you been able to play it yet? I played UM at two shows and it shot really well. I didn't think there were any weird angles. I guess I can understand if you are not a fan of upper playfields. There is a lot to shoot for despite them.

Code is still early. I can understand people reacting negatively to that as it's a bit of a mess in it's current state. Next update is today so we'll see if they can move forward with additional content, squash bugs and not create more of them. My only concern is it gets the ACNC treatment where code updates take too long and they don't address all the problems/bugs. But the layout...I think it is different and fun. The lifters need to eventually have staged balls though as the time is a bit on the long side when the ball has to travel from the upper playfield drain. The coolness of Rick and Morty's portal shot is it disappears and immediately reappears. I agree with the above poster that, although cool, the lifters really don't add any excitement or purpose to the games in their current state.

If anything I think Spooky really needs to take a look at their release process and maybe announce a game when the code is more mature. Because I don't think they can afford to ship games when code is half-baked. It's pretty obvious when you see the amount of people selling deposits. Granted a large portion of those people are scumbag flippers who bought multiple spots and just wanted to offset the cost of new games by monetizing their hobby. But that is a discussion that has been played out many times across many threads here.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

No code can fix that because the drop is right above the flipper so unless you are actually looking when the ball drops, it will drain every time!

Sigh. Once you play a few times you understand that your ball is going back to the inlanes (like a ramp return) whenever it goes into a hole on the playfield. If you were watching, you will notice a set of lights that flashes and a sound cue. The first couple of plays it catches you off guard but once you understand, it really isn't hard.

2 weeks later
#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

This is a truth many don’t want to face

Or maybe some people base their opinions off of real-life experiences? Perhaps play the game a couple dozen of times before judging. I know it is a crazy idea.

4 months later
#112 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Didn’t say he had to like it just pointing out that pretending the inlane lifters was a mistake or a design flaw is fully lame. Wait till you see how sick they are during the Boogeyman wizard mode 7 ball multiball. Game changing design as you can actually flow shots and juggle all seven since the shots all lead to a subway.
Also…Popeye is an extremely underrated game. Love it.

yeah the lifters are slightly annoying at first and then you begin to appreciate them during multi balls.

2 weeks later
#157 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Yes and no.
I would argue that some games can be brilliant with simpler rulesets and still have amazing strategy. The perfect example of this is Total Nuclear Annihilation. Complete the grid by shooting list standups, start the reactor by hitting the scoop, bring it up to 100% on the mini playfield, blow the reactor at the lit standups. Repeat 9 times to beat the game. 3 ball multiball at drop targets. 3 balls in play triples score, 2 doubles score. Lane rollovers light ball save and multiplier.
There. You have an incredibly fun and difficult game that is as deep as you could want that I just explained in a paragraph.
Avengers was too much. Jurassic Park is borderline, but fun.

It's interesting because I am not a fan of TNA unless I am playing with others. I really don't like playing it by myself. But brutally fast games with some competitive features like stealing locks etc are great for playing against someone else.

It all comes down to personal preference. But I do wish some people would just lay off the reviews until they've had some considerable time played on a game. I mean what is the point of a review if you don't have any sort of experience playing the game? Just seems stupid to me.

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yes we all know you think the game is perfect and it’s our fault if we disagree

I don't think he means that. It's just pinball is a bit nuanced and complicated by nature. To give a review after playing a handful of times is doing a disservice to everyone. Too many people play a couple of games and run to pinside to talk about how bad it is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Haven, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allen Park, MI
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 49.99
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider palmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feedback-on-halloween-and-ultraman-?tu=palmer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.