(Topic ID: 303747)

Thoughts on Halloween and Ultraman so far?

By Vino

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Lostcause
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1CDEF88A-5BA5-4714-A39C-AF14AF172334 (resized).png
E81096CF-5F75-43D4-B52D-BF0A21C5578A (resized).jpeg
C211DA44-BF1D-4C48-9836-1E21BB859D53 (resized).png
9159CC71-878F-48CD-AAEC-41B03ED9FFED (resized).png
9FBD4F12-A152-4A42-BD73-257120C5B039 (resized).png
D2E0C735-F6C3-4D60-9914-EAD8EE2A8A4F.jpeg
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 2 years ago

Again GOTG, and STh received A ton of hate before code updates. Give it some time. I played HWN and I really enjoyed it and no regrets putting a deposit down for a CE. Bought it for my wife and daughters. I can understand people not liking it, but just wait and see where the code goes.

#52 2 years ago

Shoots well I thought. Art is fantastic sound was great. Biggest frustration was just hitting a brick wall with the code.

I’ve only played on location and am curious to play in a home environment. For those playing in home environment do you feel like you enjoy it much more than on location?

#53 2 years ago

I liked the recent code update & it looks like it's maturing in that direction, the foundation (bones) are definitely there. Spooky has made a lot more Halloween's so far and owner's hardly ever say that they flat out don't like it, either have the very few Ultraman owner's. In fact, it appears that they like the game but are both having a hard time not noticing the things that are incomplete so far. From everything that I've read and the video's that I've watched? People seem to just want a fun game that's easier to understand and where you are at the moment in gameplay, a warning light or sound when the ball is coming down to the right flipper, more satisfaction for beating monsters in between modes and larger video scenes that utilize the full screen whenever possible.. it seems to be all code related. Ultraman is something pretty different for any medium to larger collection and as for the Godzilla comparisons? I think they look amazing when paired next to each other if can do it. No doubt Stern did a great job with Godzilla, I feel this way about it because they didn't cheap out with the mechs vs their other releases but it's a bit of a more serious vibe imo & where Ultraman shines is that it has that fun, campy, Japanese vibe that Godzilla doesn't & 3 playfields to boot! so the value is there. Hoping we'll see another code update soon that will address some of these issues & do hope the production line picks up speed, only 100 games out there so far in 6 months? Not enough people to compare & judge it yet.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Again GOTG, and STh received A ton of hate before code updates. Give it some time. I played HWN and I really enjoyed it and no regrets putting a deposit down for a CE. Bought it for my wife and daughters. I can understand people not liking it, but just wait and see where the code goes.

So did Iron Man, Metallica, and The Walking Dead.

Of course Lyman isn't on code for Halloween/UM, but I do think the Halloween/UM layout has top-notch, outside-the-box thinking that I appreciate ("Rush"...not so much [game looks great, but the at times quirky, yet unique Spooky games are more exciting for me to own]).

I haven't played one since August, so I can't comment on code, but I liked what I experienced, and it could be great once fleshed out.

#55 2 years ago

Really appreciate this feedback, looks like these will just need more time from the spooky team.

#56 2 years ago

I played both quite a bit on location at Arcade Monsters in Florida. Left and ordered Halloween immediately. Tried to love Ultraman, but it shows just how much bad sound design can ruin a game. There's this CHIME sound that plays constantly that will make you lose your mind.

Neither are a Stern game, and I won't deny there's a lack of polish to the board and the code. But Halloween is a very engaging game, IMHO.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

There's this CHIME sound that plays constantly that will make you lose your mind.

Interesting, thank you. I’ll need to watch that stream DakotaMike shot over.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

They are probably talking about the slings noise which has been changed many code updates ago.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Yeah, George is one of the best streamers out there. Very professional setup and stream.

#60 2 years ago

Played a Halloween on vacation and it was awful. Just an awful layout. I honestly wouldn't buy it for $1k.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

They are probably talking about the slings noise which has been changed many code updates ago.

It's the DDAAAAADUMMM chime. It's so shrill, and it never stops. But, even if they removed that - the Halloween soundtrack by John Carpenter is a classic for a reason. Just really adds to the tension.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Sounds to me like you're rushing to the next

Sounds to me like you're rushing to the next FOMO purchase. Maybe that's the lesson you should learn?

No I’m ‘rushing’ out to buy a game that I know will be exactly for what I’m looking for.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

It's the DDAAAAADUMMM chime. It's so shrill, and it never stops. But, even if they removed that - the Halloween soundtrack by John Carpenter is a classic for a reason. Just really adds to the tension.

You prefer the Halloween theme over Ultraman, this is why they are only making 500 UM compared to 1250 HWN. The sound has been changed because it annoyed everyone, they listen to feedback and make changes.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

No I’m ‘rushing’ out to buy a game that I know will be exactly for what I’m looking for.

Why not go ahead and “Rush” out and get what you like?

#65 2 years ago

You could have been helpful by including what exactly bothers you about the layout but…no. You just came here to s#it.

Quoted from cscmtp:

Played a Halloween on vacation and it was awful. Just an awful layout. I honestly wouldn't buy it for $1k.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You could been helpful by including what exactly bothers your out the layout but…no. Just came here to s#it.

Clunky, the upper playfield blocks your vision on parts of the playfield. Didn't find any fast and satisfying shots. I'm also not a fan of the franchise. I also didn't think much of the music/callouts. Is that enough for you? I think we are all entitled to our opinions on pinball.

#67 2 years ago

I’m loving the game so far. I know it’s new but my AFMr, and MMr don’t entice me to play like Halloween does. I’m not a great player but my ball times seem pretty long to me. It’s definitely no drain monster. There is really only one shot that sometimes goes SDTM but only if you don’t hit it clean. Not a super hard game. Getting the pretzel shot and hitting that last ramp up top is really satisfying to me. I was worried when I got it that I would never make it up there. There is a lot more going on with modes, and I like that you can select them so you are not stuck always going in sequential order. All the inserts light changes different colors for different scenarios or modes. Game always guides you as would you should do. I like how the shots change after you’ve made them and they tell you what to shoot for next. Definitely forces you to get better at aiming and getting your shots down. You can’t button mash the flippers and achieve a decent score. Very happy so far.

#68 2 years ago

Lol so you don’t like the Halloween franchise or the music - that’s like saying you hate Iron Maiden and you hate Iron Maiden music.

Your opinion is biased due to that fact - thanks for chiming in for no reason

Quoted from cscmtp:

Clunky, the upper playfield blocks your vision on parts of the playfield. Didn't find any fast and satisfying shots. I'm also not a fan of the franchise. I also didn't think much of the music/callouts. Is that enough for you? I think we are all entitled to our opinions on pinball.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

So did Iron Man, Metallica, and The Walking Dead.
Of course Lyman isn't on code for Halloween/UM, but I do think the Halloween/UM layout has top-notch, outside-the-box thinking that I appreciate ("Rush"...not so much [game looks great, but the at times quirky, yet unique Spooky games are more exciting for me to own]).
I haven't played one since August, so I can't comment on code, but I liked what I experienced, and it could be great once fleshed out.

I played 8 games and the more I played the more I liked it. A lot of players flip for fun and don’t get deep into the code like me. It’s looks awesome and was fun. I am not the best player mind you. Can’t wait to get my first spooky pin #481.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Lol so you don’t like the Halloween franchise or the music - that’s like saying you hate Iron Maiden and you hate Iron Maiden music.
Your opinion is biased due to that fact - thanks for chiming in for no reason

I think you can not like a band and appreciate the mechanics of a music pinball game. And you can critique it and have a valid opinion if you know pinball. The man is entitled to his thoughts.

I don’t think Halloween is a game with a lot of wide appeal. It’s a sharpshooter, the scoring is something you have to watch a YouTube video to really understand. The two upper levels do obscure the playfield in a way that limits your situational awareness.

But they NAIL that feeling of dread and being hunted. Like no game I’ve ever played, it feels like a horror movie.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

I think you can not like a band and appreciate the mechanics of a music pinball game. And you can critique it and have a valid opinion if you know pinball. The man is entitled to his thoughts.
I don’t think Halloween is a game with a lot of wide appeal. It’s a sharpshooter, the scoring is something you have to watch a YouTube video to really understand. The two upper levels do obscure the playfield in a way that limits your situational awareness.
But they NAIL that feeling of dread and being hunted. Like no game I’ve ever played, it feels like a horror movie.

People said many of the same things to me about ACNC - the ball is obscured from view a lot, its a sharpshooters game etc... Well, it's all true - and I absolutely love it. It's so different from my Sterns and all the better for it. If Halloween is following a similar vein, I'm going to love it even more (because of the theme).

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

People said many of the same things to me about ACNC - the ball is obscured from view a lot, its a sharpshooters game etc... Well, it's all true - and I absolutely love it. It's so different from my Sterns and all the better for it. If Halloween is following a similar vein, I'm going to love it even more (because of the theme).

I mean, I totally agree! I like all those characteristics!

#73 2 years ago

Your right my example of music pin is not the best - my point is if you already dislike the franchise as a whole your probably not going to like the game. The feedback is biased from the start and you made your way to this thread only to call that out. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

I think Halloween has more appeal than you think - so does RUSH apparently.

See GNR or LED ZEP. IM is a great elwin game so it’s not the same.

Quoted from BriannaWu:

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Your right my example of music pin is not the best - my point is if you already dislike the franchise as a whole your probably not going to like the game. The feedback is biased from the start and you made your way to this thread only to call that out. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.
I think Halloween has more appeal than you think - so does RUSH apparently.
See GNR or LED ZEP. IM is a great elwin game so it’s not the same.

I hope someone will one day explain why Rush seems poised to do well because I don’t get it, haha.

A very average dad band, IMHO. There’s no idea there I haven’t seen executed elsewhere.

#75 2 years ago

Exactly my point - I assume your not going over the the RUSH opinion thread to give a review. Just like you the theme doesn’t resonate with me at all.

Also - I’m a Halloween owner/waiting so I’m biased as well

Quoted from BriannaWu:

I hope someone will one day explain why Rush seems poised to do well because I don’t get it, haha.
A very average dad band, IMHO. There’s no idea there I haven’t seen executed elsewhere.

#76 2 years ago

I’m a barber so I talk to a lot people outside of the pinball world about pinball. I’ll be damned three people this week told me that they thought Rush was an awesome theme and about how excited they were for it. Maybe it’s because I’m 15 minutes north of Canada in Michigan but maybe there is broader appeal then I originally thought.

Quoted from BriannaWu:

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

I’m sure a big part is because Rush has a hard core fan base just like Iron Maiden. I’m not sure that there’s such a thing as a “casual” Rush fan. Meanwhile, I’m still excited about Halloween. Not sure why people are selling their spots and locking in a loss before they even play it? What am I missing?

#78 2 years ago

We've seen this sooooo many times before. New adopters will hate the shallow code. Some will hate the layout. The game will mature, and there will easily be enough pinheads that will enjoy the final product to support a decent market for it. It's fine that many will dislike it, but many will love it too.

I have an UMCE on order, and from what I've seen, even from IE pinball, the game looks far more promising than crap. I can tell it won't be the deepest Elwin trap and shoot, but I have GZ coming for that itch.

I like strange pins. My Gladiators is one of my favs.

My prediction: the games will be considered "pretty good" in a year. I knew I was buying that.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

We've seen this sooooo many times before. New adopters will hate the shallow code. Some will hate the layout. The game will mature, and there will easily be enough pinheads that will enjoy the final product to support a decent market for it. It's fine that many will dislike it, but many will love it too.
I have an UMCE on order, and from what I've seen, even from IE pinball, the game looks far more promising than crap. I can tell it won't be the deepest Elwin trap and shoot, but I have GZ coming for that itch.
I like strange pins. My Gladiators is one of my favs.
My prediction: the games will be considered "pretty good" in a year. I knew I was buying that.

I own Stranger Things, Beatles, and Led Zeppelin . I’m not afraid. I’ve seen this movie before.

#80 2 years ago

I have a UM CE and I am in love.

#81 2 years ago

I've played both and didn't even finish the only game started on each.

#82 2 years ago

the drop target skillshot bug is a bummer (was a bummer the last time i played it)

#83 2 years ago

Fixed.

Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

the drop target skillshot bug is a bummer (was a bummer the last time i played it)

If your not going to say WHY then what’s the point? We’re looking for constructive criticisms in here.

Quoted from GravitaR:

I've played both and didn't even finish the only game started on each.

#84 2 years ago

Looks like Spooky is setting up to stream their own gameplay and rule changes, will help tremendously in the impression of both games.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

If your not going to say WHY then what’s the point? We’re looking for constructive criticisms in here.

the last time i played the game if you tried to hit the right side drop target off of the plunge for a skill shot and succeeded, the game had to be reset to continue playing. this was a few weeks ago

i also felt like for the amount of effort it takes to get the ball to the 2nd playfield there isn't much to do there and it just kind of led to a very deflated feeling to quckly drain out and back to the right flipper to shoot the big ramp some more, after working my way up there several times

my $.02

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

the last time i played the game if you tried to hit the right side drop target off of the plunge for a skill shot and succeeded, the game had to be reset to continue playing. this was a few weeks ago
i also felt like for the amount of effort it takes to get the ball to the 2nd playfield there isn't much to do there and it just kind of led to a very deflated feeling to quckly drain out and back to the right flipper to shoot the big ramp some more, after working my way up there several times
my $.02

That is one problem with mini playfields, and making them a focal point on the game - when you make them accessible you have to give the player something do do on there. What I like about ACNC's design is that both ramp shots go to the mini playfield, and if its not currently active (in a mode etc), you can simply try and direct the ball down one of the exit wireforms to "complete" your ramp shot and go the flipper you want. I really like that.

I think in Halloween though, you can only get to the 2nd mini playfield when house mode is activated? Is it possible to get up there when you are not in any relevant mode (I don't have my machine yet I don't know)?

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

That is one problem with mini playfields, and making them a focal point on the game - when you make them accessible you have to give the player something do do on there. What I like about ACNC's design is that both ramp shots go to the mini playfield, and if its not currently active (in a mode etc), you can simply try and direct the ball down one of the exit wireforms to "complete" your ramp shot and go the flipper you want. I really like that.
I think in Halloween though, you can only get to the 2nd mini playfield when house mode is activated? Is it possible to get up there when you are not in any relevant mode (I don't have my machine yet I don't know)?

Yeah, I haven’t been following very closely but I’m not a fan of feeling like you earned the right to go to the upper playfield but the best move is to let it drain out of there. There should always be an objective there. Bug drained it out of there purposely so many times. Just seems like a huge waste of real estate most times.

Also dislike the code that says “don’t hit here”. Negative feedback or taking away something that was earned is not fun. Make something worthless (or very little) but don’t penalize me if I feel like I want spam a ramp over and over again. No red shots! Hah.

Bug also said you should be focused on stacking multiballs. I wish it was more about progressing a story told by the game. Maybe that’s also in there.

I need to start following along more. I’m in in one of these suckers. Yikes!

1 month later
#88 2 years ago

I own Ultraman and I'm on the fence with it. I think it shoots bad. The code isn't great and shots wont register. Overal 6.5/10 right now. I've seen code fix games so I am hoping.

#89 2 years ago

Halloween CE (+/- 3weeks)
+/-100 plays

Seriously — Love — This — Game.
Not a fanboy.
Not a “Pump & Dump”.

Liked the original ‘78 movie and a few of the later ones.
When I first heard it announced I thought “no interest”
…. This was true until I saw the promo trailer. Then Spooky had me on the hook.

Everyone that has played it in our home has really enjoyed it and all came back for more.
9+ game IMO

D2E0C735-F6C3-4D60-9914-EAD8EE2A8A4F.jpegD2E0C735-F6C3-4D60-9914-EAD8EE2A8A4F.jpeg
1 week later
#90 2 years ago

How is the new code?
I thought both titles recently received big updates.

#91 2 years ago

New code for Halloween dropped yesterday. Lots of bug fixes and the inclusion of a new Multi featuring Blue Oyster Cult ‘Don’t fear the Reaper’ which is pretty sick.

Quoted from Vino:

How is the new code?
I thought both titles recently received big updates.

#92 2 years ago

I have Halloween CE and I'm loving it thus far. I still have 1.05 code I haven't uploaded the new code yet, but the code itself is decent not great. I might be a tad biased because Halloween is one of my all time favorite movies.
Pros: it might be one of the most gorgeous games in pinball. Layout is unique and may look clunky, but surprisingly shoots fast and has decent flow. For the price I cannot believe all the toys and mechs in this game. This game is loaded!!

Cons: I will say after I unboxed it I have a few issues with it and smaller issues keep on popping up here and there. With that being said spooky has been great in there customer support. I'd also put there code is a slight negative, like I said the code decent not great and I don't think the way its setup now will ever be "an amazingly coded game" for example in my elvria the goal is to get rid of the gooles, ghosts, zombies, monsters etc so elvira can sell the house (with a bunch of side missions) in Halloween its kind of all over the place, you're either michael doing the killing or Laurie strode trying to get away from michael or defeat him. Don't get me wrong the modes in the game are pretty good, but there really isn't a set goal in the game like elvira. You basically do all the jack-o-lantern modes, then have the 2 multiball modes. I think that will put you into a mini wizard or wizard mode.
Scoring is a little different too. You can have long ball times, but the scoring is much lower than your typical sterns.

Overall I love the game I think when it's all done it will be a very good game, but not great. As of right now I have it about an 8/10. I can't see the game leaving my collection and I only have a 4 pin collection.

#93 2 years ago

I just played a couple of games on the new code. All of you bailing on your deposits might want to hold off. This game could end up being a 'sleeper'. It is not perfect, but it is really fun to shoot, and the tension created with the modes and music, etc. is unique. Because of space and finances, I wish I didn't like this as much as I do. It really might end up being a long-term keeper.

2 months later
#94 1 year ago

Bumping this back up - seeing a lot of very positive reviews getting posted. I have not had a chance to play the pin in a home environment but that seems to be where it is thriving.

Thoughts so far?

#95 1 year ago

Finally got my Halloween CE setup ,and I absolutely love it. Ultra man still in the box.
No regrets here!

#96 1 year ago

I’ve had mine for a few weeks. Love it so far. Been mostly good. Had to adjust a flipper and want to replace some springs.

#97 1 year ago

I had my Halloween spot up for sale and happened to be in Brooklyn where Jackbar has #7 on location. Played about five or so games on it and removed my sale listing without hesitation. Gorgeous and unique game that future code and polish will have a major effect. Really seems like the tide is turning in favor of this game with the huge batch that Spooky just shipped out. There will be a new code update in a few days according to Spooky and the code update after that is said to feature animations from the studio they just hired. Can’t wait to get mine!

#98 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I had my Halloween spot up for sale and happened to be in Brooklyn where Jackbar has #7 on location. Played about five or so games on it and removed my sale listing without hesitation.

It’s a good thing you took swift action and somehow managed to pull your listing before someone bought it! They are Getting snapped up instantly lately!

#99 1 year ago

Not only is the gameplay great, but the actual machine is truly a work of art. Powder coated rails, speaker cabinet lighting, interactive topper, knife handle for the shooter rod. I love butter cab, the artwork on the cabinet is phenomenal. Every detail seems to be well thought for.

#100 1 year ago

Sarcasm aside, I did have two offers for full spot value and two decent trade offers. I just decided to keep it as I’m a huge Carpenter fan. Also a friend of mine has already said they will take it when I’m done with it. Here are screenshots of the offers of your interested…

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s a good thing you took swift action and somehow managed to pull your listing before someone bought it! They are Getting snapped up instantly lately!

9159CC71-878F-48CD-AAEC-41B03ED9FFED (resized).png9159CC71-878F-48CD-AAEC-41B03ED9FFED (resized).png9FBD4F12-A152-4A42-BD73-257120C5B039 (resized).png9FBD4F12-A152-4A42-BD73-257120C5B039 (resized).pngC211DA44-BF1D-4C48-9836-1E21BB859D53 (resized).pngC211DA44-BF1D-4C48-9836-1E21BB859D53 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 210.00
$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 49.99
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Arabi, LA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feedback-on-halloween-and-ultraman-/page/2?hl=hoteldrummer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.